Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle Poerator Written Test I Dont have a book yet but I just want to see what its like.. Any help would help on the test thanks

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You're going to try to pass the test without even reading the book? Why? The book's not excessively lengthy or anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I want to read the book it's just I have not got one yet And I just wanted to see if the test is hard or anything thats all.. And if you could give me sum hint's on whats on the test

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You know I honestly don't remember much of what's on the test. Why pay to take it twice though, just snag the book, read it and go the next day. It's not especially difficult but I remember it being more difficult than the car test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 20r602 Do u like the r6 i been looking at them 4awhile now they look nice

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
^^^

R6's are great bikes but you should really get a few years of riding experience before you jump on a supersport, otherwise you'll likely hurt yourself no matter how careful you are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you think would be a good bike to start off at??

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
A 250cc or 500cc motorcycle would be ideal, but most new riders shy away from that option because they're not pretty like the supersport 600's, 750's and 1000's, which get redesigned every two years. It's the smart way to learn to ride though.

I'm not saying you'll die if you jump on a 600, plenty of people do it (I did, but nobody told me any better and I got lucky), but it's a much b***** chance, and you won't learn nearly as quickly. They make literally twice the horsepower of the 500's, and they're made to steer ultra-quick and stop on a dime. Until you have the skills to operate them it can get you into trouble if some old lady decides to cut you off, for example. Think of them as race bikes with lights: street motorcycles that any shmuck with a few thousand dollars can buy are *much* closer to racebikes than any stock car is to a race car. It's your life, it's up to you to decide how big of a risk you're willing to take. Riding on the street is dangerous enough in my opinion, I say stack the deck in your favor, even if you don't get to look cool right away. I think this guy puts it much better than I could:

http://forums.sportrider.primediaautomotive.com/n/mb/display.asp?webtag=sportrider&msg=650.8

Good luck whatever you decide, try to be smart. Sorry to rain on your parade :)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
By the way, there's a thread just about every week in the General Sportbikes or New Riders forums with a new guy who wants to get into motorcycling but gets upset when he finds out it's not a good idea to run out and get the bike of his dreams right away. Most don't listen, so don't feel too bad if you decide not to. Some crash, some make it. They get upset because a lot of people on this site are pretty adamant about starting out small because we're sick of seeing people get hurt, and really you can't possibly understand why a supersport is a bad idea if you don't have much riding experience. It's just a lot smarter to start out small. I can tell you that one of the major reasons everybody thinks motorcycles are death traps is because there are entirely too many smart, responsible people who jump on bikes that they can't handle and get hurt. If you go about it the right way, you have a much better chance of not becoming a statistic.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its been my experience that most folks who dont read the book, fail the test the first time. I read the book and passed the test on the first try.... Most folks say its just common sense, well most folks dont have any common sense. Go figure. Oh and dont be stupid and buy an R6 for your first bike, even if you can afford insurance for the thing.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ook thanks for all the info guys I still have not got around to gettin a book yet.. I hope I do soon

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go get the book...it's an easy read...4th grade reading level...the test is easy if you don't over analyze it.

My first bike, and only so far is a 600RR! I love it...I orginally wanted a 1000RR but couldn't get financed which is okay...it's better to start of small and grow with the bike, pay it off then get the b***** bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts