Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently just got my motorcycle safety cource completed and Im ready to start biking. Ive been looking at bikes around my area and I need some basic knowledge. Im thinking of around 600cc, so its not too big or too small. Im a pretty big car guy, but I dont know much about bikes, so stuff like: how many miles is too much? what are some good things to lookout for? etc? If you guys have anything that could help me out that would be great.

Thanks,
Pete

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Welcome to SBN Pete! Congratulations on MSF. If your prior experience on two wheels, specifically on motorcycles isn't much to speak of, you might want to look at Kawi 250s, or Kawi 500s. Machines that are 600cc and up are for riders that have experience on other, smaller bikes. You could probably start on a 600cc, but its certainly not going to be endorsed by the experienced riders on this forum.

Mileage? Depends on where you live. I'm in Boston and most streetbikes have less than 6,000 miles per season. Warmer climate? Probably more mileage per year. With routine maintenance, good upkeep and maybe an overhaul here and there, I'm sure a bike can be taken to 100,000 miles maybe.

what are some good things to lookout for?
Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but read all the stickies in the New Rider section and all the material on www.msf-usa.org. Ask questions, get answers, get experience. Good luck!

Oh, say "riding" not "biking".

·
Registered
597 Posts
If your talking about a 600cc cruiser then those would be fine. Most on here don't recommend a 600cc sportbike. Too much horsepower. But it has been done. Check out the suzuki sv650. Good bike.

·
Registered
944 Posts
WELCOME;
And watch out for older bikes with LOOOWW milage. The worst thing for a bike is to sit and sit and sit. Usually not worth the trouble.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would look into an ex500 or a sv650 and used to start out with, and ask the owner if they have service records for the bike. As long as a bike has had regular service done to it, it should be fine even w/high milage.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

·
Registered
238 Posts
600cc might be too much as a sportbike... though it comes down to how responsible you are...
Just know that a mistake on a 600 will not be forgiven as on a less powerful bike.

I started on a 600... it was an older katana... not as fast as other sportbike (veyr heavy and slightly more upright position) so it was a decent starter though it was hard practicing low speed maneuver... bike had 18km on it and it was fine.

I got more confident, got an F2 and now looking to upgrade to an F4 or zx6r...

But I know my limits and I know where the bike sweet spot is... even an F2 if you get around 6-7k its a totally different animal... so while it might not scare you under that rpm range, over that it's another story.

Check the chain, the tires, I wouldnt worry about cosmetics that much, you wont feel bad if you drop it (i dropped once practicing low speed turn/stop)
check that the gauges work, that the clucth and throttle snap straight back...

Im sure other could add some more to it...

Good Luck and keep the shiny side up.!

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Forgiveness on a 600cc sportbike is nonexistant. If you choose to get one make sure your head is screwed on straight if it's not someone will be picking up body parts from the pavement.

On that note the MSF saved my ass once already. I got a tad saucy on the throttle one afternoon when it was kinda chilly and there was gravel on the road (it's a Bend thing) and nearly power slid into a curb. Pucker facter 120% but stayed calm and remembered my lessons. $95 paid off that day.

·
Registered
597 Posts
WISPER said:
WELCOME;
And watch out for older bikes with LOOOWW milage. The worst thing for a bike is to sit and sit and sit. Usually not worth the trouble.
Good luck and have fun.

That depends. I found a 2000 Zx6r last May(2004) and it had 800 miles. I got a bike just through breakin which was nice. It must have sat a lot so I expected a couple things to go bad. I have been pretty happy. I think the only thing that suffered was the fork seals. My tires were fine and replaced them at 7,000 miles or so. But, if you find a much much older bike lets say 80's early 90's with low miles you may want to pass as the rubber everywhere could have started to harden and split. I wouldn't want a bike with over 25k on it either unless I knew the guy who was selling it and I had a good history. Bikes can last a long time if taken care of but why get one with so many miles when there are soooooo many bikes for sale at good prices that you don't really need to get high mileage bikes. If you buy used to begin with you won't have as much depreciation to worry about. I paid $4700 and I figure I will sell it for $3700 in the next year or two. Bikes only depreciate to a certain point and then kinda level out if they are taken care of. ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble on and on . have fun shopping for a bike. :lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry to sound cliche, but I really wanted a CBR 600 for my first bike. Taking the advice of the good people on this and other sites I went for the Kawi 250. I'm glad I did. First off, it was cheap. Second, while I've picked up on normal riding quite easily; it's when I have to do many things at once that I'm glad I don't have the 600. Several times I've had "dumb-outs" where I've done throttle clutch combos that were easily recoverable on the Ninjette but I'm quite certain would have resulted in laying a 600 over. The other factor for me was height. At 5'4" I can nearly flat foot the 250. It's toes only on the 600s. I just wanted to know with absolute confidence that my handling in all situations was rock solid before I got the b***** bike. Good luck with the shopping!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts