Sport Bikes banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Marbles...what marbles??
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to put some money into getting a Metric hex bit socket set and want some advise so I don’t buy some POS set. My easiest route so far is to go to Sears next week and buy a Craftsman set but if I can get cheaper online with the same quality, I’m game. Ebay has many to offer but who knows what quality you get with they’re off brands. I don’t want to end up with a set that’ll twist once I really torque on it. This set will be for my Honda sportbike and wheeler so I don’t believe that I’ll need any standards. If anyone is looking to let go of a set please let me know and we can work something out.
-NorhernFirepower.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Craftsman hand tools are guaranteed for life. Bring in any tool that has failed, worn out, or is damaged and they'll replace it free on the spot. Quality is decent from what I've seen. Some shop garage sales and flee markets looking for old, crappy Craftsman tools to "exchange" for new. :)

I'd also recommend both hex bit sockets and T-handle hex wrenches.

·
Squid Poacher
1,831 Posts
Try ToolWeb.com. I have a shop here in va bch and I occasionally buy from them, I also have noticed that some of the stuff on there catalog shows up on the Matco and Snap-On trucks rebadged.
As far as craftsman, the new laser etched sockets aren't a bad deal.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
+1 to Sears. Go when there's a sale and stack a coupon on it.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Dude as a professional mechanic...........dont buy the craftsman...........they are not held in solid and are not hardened enough.

When I started turning wrenches I bought a huge craftsman set...........and started replacing every piece one by one with better brands.

I hate to say it but there is a difference when it comes to tools. Snap on makes a fine set of allen sockets. A damn fine one indeed.

I wont go on and on about the differences but Ill tell you this...........round out a couple 8 dollars stupid bolts on your bike with a shit set and youll have paid for half the set from snap on.

·
Marbles...what marbles??
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna have to check and see when the Snap-On truck is coming to work next but am I going to forking out $100 for six sockets?

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
For the weekend user like myself, I'm thinking Craftsman does the trick. But I've heard time and time again, like Hybrid said, Craftsman just won't cut it for a professional.

I still haven't quite figured out why they don't sell Snap-on tools at a store though. What's up with keeping the Snap-on tools out of the "everyday Joe's" hands?

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah, the cheapest i go is craftsman stuff.

They make MUCH better stuff.... but when you don't use it for a living, replacing a tool every now and then is not a big deal. I mostly replace screwdrivers that I use as prybars.

I use a set of Stanley allen head sockets that i got at wal-mart currently. I got fed up with not having them one night, and Wal-mart was the only place open.

I have taken my bike apart COMPLETELY and put it back together with them, TWICE. I have yet to have anything break.

But if you have the coin, snap on tools are nice.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
NorthernFirepower said:
I'm gonna have to check and see when the Snap-On truck is coming to work next but am I going to forking out $100 for six sockets?

You should be able to get everything from 2mm to 12mm maybe more for a hundo

Believe me, when the craftsman ones round out a hex bolt and you have to beat in a standard one to get the bolt out.............youll thank me.

The biggest difference is in the socket wrenches..........Snap on has waaaaaay finer gear engagement than craftsman..........instead of turning the wrench 22 degrees.........its like 5 for the snapon.

I tried and tried and tried to not do it...............I still have my big old craftsman box.............but the box dont make me no money.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
hybrid said:
The biggest difference is in the socket wrenches..........Snap on has waaaaaay finer gear engagement than craftsman..........instead of turning the wrench 22 degrees.........its like 5 for the snapon.

oh HELLS yes.

That's my biggest complaint against the craftsman stuff..... the damned rachets.

I didn't realize it until i was at a buddy's.... he had a Snap-on rachet. GOOD LORD it's nice.

It'll set you back about 50-60 bucks for each one.... but it'll save so much time in tight places it's silly.

I do not have a set, yet.... I've been going a little nuts on power tools lately, and have to build me a workbench and some cabinets.

MMMMMM..... stainless steel workbench.....

:D

·
Marbles...what marbles??
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hybrid said:
You should be able to get everything from 2mm to 12mm maybe more for a hundo

Believe me, when the craftsman ones round out a hex bolt and you have to beat in a standard one to get the bolt out.............youll thank me.

I tried and tried and tried to not do it...............I still have my big old craftsman box.............but the box dont make me no money.
Well it was actually 4mm - 10mm for $120 but at least now I have them.

They had a set that went up about another four sizes and that one was almost $200! I would have gone with Craftsman but the Snap-On truck was at work this morning and I couldn't resist the impulse buy.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
NorthernFirepower said:
Well it was actually 4mm - 10mm for $120 but at least now I have them.

They had a set that went up about another four sizes and that one was almost $200! I would have gone with Craftsman but the Snap-On truck was at work this morning and I couldn't resist the impulse buy.
Agree that Snap-On tools are far better than Craftsman. You do get what you pay for, but for most uses Craftsman is adequate.

I've called Snap-On and met a truck at a local shop on a few occasions. It takes a lot of self-control to walk out of the truck with only what you came for especially since they take credit cards. :)

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
Yeah, I don't spend enough on bikes...plant ideas like this in my head. I've found some differences in newer Craftsman tools (lower quality) than my 20 year old tools.

Probably worth it to get the Snap-On for the tools you use alot. Now where's that credit card of mine...

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Screw snap on and mac. Craftsman cant be beat. I abuse tools like no one you ever seen and will pit them against any other tool around. There power tools suck but hand tools are the best buy for the $ fuck for what that allen set cost you could have a box filled with craftsman.

I ran a junkyard for 10+ years and supplied the apes with tools for tearing the cars apart. They were all craftsman, never ever had a problem getting anything replaced that was worn. Try getting a new screwdriver from snap on that is bent because it was used as a pry bar LMAO good luck.

Ive been using craftsman tools for 40+ years and never once had a problem. I have a 1/4 inch drive ratchet made in the late 40's by Craftsman and it still works fine today.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
kevinwilly said:
oh HELLS yes.

That's my biggest complaint against the craftsman stuff..... the damned rachets.

I didn't realize it until i was at a buddy's.... he had a Snap-on rachet. GOOD LORD it's nice.

It'll set you back about 50-60 bucks for each one.... but it'll save so much time in tight places it's silly.

I do not have a set, yet.... I've been going a little nuts on power tools lately, and have to build me a workbench and some cabinets.

MMMMMM..... stainless steel workbench.....

:D

Get the fine tooth round head ratchet with the knurled spinner not the oval head std ratchet.

Try getting a new tool you need on a sunday..... sears no prob snap on uhhhhhh wait till the asswipe in the truck feels like droipping in....

For a full set of tools you could buy a new fucking bike and still work on it with the money saved by buying Craftsman.... sanp on you can jerk off looking at the purty crap and dream about riding..... LMFAO

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Get the fine tooth round head ratchet with the knurled spinner not the oval head std ratchet.

Yes- this is true. The teardrop shaped ones are MUCH better. BUT- they don't come with the big mechanics tool sets, you have to buy them separate. I have a 3/8" drive one, which is the rachet i most commonly use.

Kind of annoying.

Just like the allen wrenches that come with them come in BAGS. How the fuck is that useful? To make sure i get them all, i have to dump them out and count them back in...

grrr.... it makes me angry.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
kevinwilly said:
Yes- this is true. The teardrop shaped ones are MUCH better. BUT- they don't come with the big mechanics tool sets, you have to buy them separate. I have a 3/8" drive one, which is the rachet i most commonly use.

Kind of annoying.

Just like the allen wrenches that come with them come in BAGS. How the fuck is that useful? To make sure i get them all, i have to dump them out and count them back in...

grrr.... it makes me angry.

The round fine ones ya you do have to buy them seperate but they are nice but not near as strong as the std ones without the spinner. I have a 1/2 incher that I used for taking lug nuts off with. Beat that SOB to hell and back with a big ass hammer to take lug nuts off that the impact wouldn't do LMAO it is so beat you can barely read the name on the handle and has never been rebuilt once :lol

I got a IM5 snap on 1/2 inch impact gun that cost almoct 500 bucks biggest POS I ever bought. A Cheap ass Ingersol Rand I got for under 100 will snap lug nuts off like there a license plate bolt while the snap on will be knocking away till the sun sets.... and the dam nut aint budged. snap on = rip off

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
This discussion is really about the concept of "good enough." My father -- the mechanical engineer -- never understood it. So it was left to my friend Dennis to help me understand it.

Everything my father did was perfect. But Dennis got a lot more done. An expensive tool is better. But a mid-priced tool is often adequate.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
jim schmidt said:
This discussion is really about the concept of "good enough." My father -- the mechanical engineer -- never understood it. So it was left to my friend Dennis to help me understand it.

Everything my father did was perfect. But Dennis got a lot more done. An expensive tool is better. But a mid-priced tool is often adequate.

MANY engineers i work with tend to fall into this trap....

I do it from time to time, as well.... but seriously- MANY things don't need to be perfect. But certain things do.

A good engineer should be able to tell the difference between the two. It saves a TON of time in the long run, and thus, a ton of money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts