Sport Bikes banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
If lined the kitchen with plastic, hung my bike parts from strings and sanded and spray painted for 5 days my wife would have left town on day two.......hhhmmmm.......what kind of paint did you use again???

Seriously, It looks good because you took the time to do the prep work. High end paint jobs on luxury car restorations cost a lot because the orange peel of the heavy coats is sanded and paint reapplied, sometimes a dozen times or more. The result is a depth of finish you just dont get a Earl Scheib. Special urethane paints are used too, and these cost big money. Red has the most expensive pigment. You should do a little prep work at the local body shop in exchange for professional painting, if they have a leftover from a color you like, a motorcycle takes almost no quantity of paint. A nice Mercedes Benz silver, or Escalde white, would look good with any chrome bling bling, and they would have that kind of paint handy for sure.

Zappa said:
If lined the kitchen with plastic, hung my bike parts from strings and sanded and spray painted for 5 days my wife would have left town on day two.......hhhmmmm.......what kind of paint did you use again???
I did that in my apartment's bathroom. I sprayed something small but the fumes were there forever. I just held my breath while I sprayed. Not a good idea.

Also, I used to wetsand my fairings in the shower. Nothing wrong with that. 2 birds with one stone. :) Although I don't know my new bikes that well so no more of that.

Hey Steve, how are you doing.

How do you repair plastics that are missing a chunk about 2 inches/ I need to find out how to repair plastics that are like that. thanks.

Thanks for the info.. I am in the process of redoing an undertail and the paint I used sucks so I am going to get some paint stripper and redo the whole damn thing... The primer is smooth but the paint looks textured even when wet sanded with600 or 1000, I think I put it on too thick...

yeah, good thing you had that attachment for the cans... cause I speak from experience, your hand gets hella-tired. did something like this on the black trim on my car (white car, fckin early 90's cars, no sense of style) it was a bit less professional but turned out alright, although my hand was cramped for like hours lol. definately looks good though man, pretty impressive. when I need a bike painted I have a friend that works in a shop that will do it for the cost of materials, so I'll probably just go that route, lol.

evils-03-RR said:
[*]Then I sanded every fairing, starting with 150 grit to remove that blasted clear coat
How do you know when you have the clear coat off?

Naughty76 said:
How do you know when you have the clear coat off?
With the amount of grit that he was talking about, I think he is talking about sanding off the clear that was on the old paint. You will know when there is no more shine. This is just done so there is something to have the paint to grip to. You can even go so far as to sand off all the paint to be sure, but people will say that it is overkill if the old paint it already good and isn't flaking or peeling or bubbling.

When you sand the last coats of blue with the 1000 grit paper did it dull it a bunch. Then when you clear coated it got shiney again? Cause I don't want to clear coat my hugger until I know it will get a nice shine.
THanks

2000NinjaZX6R said:
When you sand the last coats of blue with the 1000 grit paper did it dull it a bunch. Then when you clear coated it got shiney again? Cause I don't want to clear coat my hugger until I know it will get a nice shine.
THanks
Exactly, you will want to get the whole thing dull. They wash it off and spray the clear. After the clear, it will get shiny, but you will once again get an unflat surface. What I do is then wet sand again using something higher, like 1200-1600 until the surface is once again dull. Then you can use some polishing compound and buff it so you get a glass like surface. Don't worry when after you sand, it looks ugly. Just make sure it is smooth and flat.

2000NinjaZX6R said:
What if it is smooth and flat and still shiny should I still dull it up to prep it for the clear coat?
I say that it could always be more smooth. Take whatever you are painting and compare it to your cars paint to see if you are satisfied. however, if you take you time on preping and have a nice gun that sprays nice and smooth, you don't have to sand between the basecoat and clearcoat. Some people don't and it still can look really good, and if you are doing any type of metallic paint, then don't sand for sure.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.