Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 636, anyway this morning on my way to work I start the bike let it warm up for a bit, take off and about 3 blocks down the road the bike starts to stall while Im riding it, like its not gettin gas or something it slowly comes to a stop and dies. I just check to make sure nothings loose and what not but now it wont even start the FI is working I can hear that, the battery is good I'm just stumped to what it could be. I checked to make sure the fuel lines were not blocked. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it possible that your fuel petcock was in the off position or that you are out of gas in your main tank and the petcock is set to the main tank?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have a full tank of gas...about the petcock not sure if this bike even has one? I know it has a reserve but there is no switch to switch it back and fourth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it has a reserve tank than it should have a switch to switch between the main and reserve. It is normally located along the left side of the bike kind of under the tank. Look around and see if there is some sort of switch. Make sure it is on the main tank. You should be able to reach the switch while riding the bike (so that when the main tank runs out you can just flip it to the reserve and not have to stop on the side of the road)

You could also check your user manual to see what it says in there.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I check I guess it dont have a reserve the light just comes on when 1.2 gallons remains, so yea I'm guessin Im pretty screwed gotta dish out the money for the dealer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
drewlash said:
If it has a reserve tank than it should have a switch to switch between the main and reserve. It is normally located along the left side of the bike kind of under the tank. Look around and see if there is some sort of switch. Make sure it is on the main tank. You should be able to reach the switch while riding the bike (so that when the main tank runs out you can just flip it to the reserve and not have to stop on the side of the road)
Not on a fuel injected bike. They have High pressure lines due to the high pressure fuel pump and injectors. You have a petcock on carbed bikes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On another note, sounds like you possibly have water in the tank blocking the fuel or a clogged filter or pressure regulator. Check those things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright thanks I'll check those and yes it does turn over it almost starts but just won't. I will check out those things let give an update lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok..fuel filter is fine, not sure where that pressure regulator is but there is now H20 in the tank as I just filled it up a day ago so yea Im gettin gas from the fuel pump thats working I dunno could it be something with the comp in the bike?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Do I understand correctly that the bike was running fine until your last tank of gas? If so, how far did you ride since getting gas? Sounds like you might have some bad gas or put diesel in by mistake (no offense, it happens). Might want to call or visit the gas station and see if they have any other issues.

Of course, it could be any number of other things as well related to fuel delivery (fuel pump, check all fuses?). :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL Yea I put gas in no diesel I put gas in a few days ago and it has ran for bout 100 miles or so, so yea I dunno I checked all fuses and the pump an what not I'm thinkin bout just givin the headache to the dealer lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is it getting spark? We've been talking about gas but if it aint sparkin it won't burn fuel, and that would cause you to stumble to a stop too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I didn't even think of that I gave up lol Thank for all the input I figured just give it to the dealer so I can get raped for some money but least its out of my hands lol Thanks again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm having the same sort of problem with my 500, any updates from the dealer, I'd appreciate... I've been going through the same checks myself

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update...

Well I gave it to the dealer come to find out I had an extended warranty so it's gonna get fixed for free but.. they said it was a faulty Throttle assembley (sp). The guy was kinda short but said it was bad, a mechanical problem so it's getting replaced. I'll post more once I know more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good deal. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update..

Well after speakin to the dealer who spole to kawasaki and them havin my bike a week already, they said the fuel pump went out causin the sensor on the throttle bodies to go bad, so from what the dude said replacing that sensor is quite the ordeal. They have no way of doing it and it is only something the manufactor knows how to do. I guess the guy said it is a very werid thing to happen and kawasaki has some intrest in the issue so they are waiting for instructions on how to fix the sensor so yea another week with no bikie...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts