Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone on here thats done one and wouldnt mind doing another pm me. an 01 gix 600 tail to an 04/05 750/600 tail. i dont know any welders around me or anyone in general that can do this work on my bike. i can ship out the subframe tail and everything else and pay you to make it work for me. let me know if anyone can help. thanks

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
did you already check and see if the 04/05 subframe will fit onto ur bike? if so, you would just need to buy the tail piece, subframe, and undertray...could make ur life a lot easier.

I know for a fact that the mounting holes on teh plastics are different, pretty sure you will need the seats too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was told that the 04/05 subframe looks like crap with it so i was gonna have mine cut and rewelded to make the tail fit. i was also told i need the tail, the solo seat, and either a seat cowl or passenger seat.

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
i was told that the 04/05 subframe looks like crap with it.
little confused....are you saying that the 04/05 subframe looks bad with the 04/05 tail or with ur model gixxer?

so i was gonna have mine cut and rewelded to make the tail fit
Does the whole this have to be cut up, or just the tabs relocated?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 04/05 subframe looks bad with my model gixxer(01) and the part that has to be cut and welded is the rear part of the subframe. i have a picture that one guy gave me let me find it and ill post it. its sort of a cut then weld it where the tail fits over the subframe i think but as you can see im not sure cause the guys ive talked to about it stopped talking to me like two weeks ago and they havent answered any of my pms since.

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
yea throw up a pic if ya can. I been looking for one to see how bad it looks and cant find it. Damn, now ya got me all curious!!!! haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've done a tail swap before on my ZX6R and had to modify the new subframe to work with the existing mounting points. The 04 GSXR has a mid bracket that attaches the gas tank with the subframe. Whereas the 01 doesnt have that mid bracket. The way it looks, you should be able to use an 04 subframe and bolt it to the original mounting points on the 01 with a little tweaking here and there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heres a pic of what needs to be cut and rewelded in red and then a finished product of it.

it all depends on the tail fairing you need to align up the subframe with the tail and according to the solo seat so it all sits right

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
so that only leaves you with 4 of the 6 stock mounting holes (including the 2 that also fasten the seat)?

got a pic of the 04 subframe on and 01 bike?

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
I was looking online at the 04/05 subframe and just cant see how it looks like "crap". I know many came painted/powdercoated, but that can be easily changed. If you can get the tail, seats/cowl, undertray, tail light and change the color of the subframe itself (if needed...did they all come in black that year?) for a decent price I would do that versus all the cutting/welding which can quickly run up the price if you want it done right (unless you are, or know a good welder).

Just my 2 cents. Be sure to throw up some pics when you do the swap.

·
ReGgAe StYlEs
658 Posts
ok, now I get what ur saying. I thought it was more of direct swap. That gixxer with the tribal looks great!

Just another thought: Not sure the reason you wanna do the swap, but IF the flush tail light is the main reason, you might consider the CBR 954RR tail light swap. Cleans up the tails on our models really well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually the tail light has nothing to do with it. lol. right now my taillight is two little circles with gsxr in them and i love it. i want the 04 tail cause its sharper and looks smaller and makes the back of the bike look like it sits higher. if that makes sense to ya thats why i want it. i am actually thinking of having the same taillights as now with an 04 tail instead of having a integrated taillight but that will come once i actually attempt the swap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts