Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Owned by marriage
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 SC2 (DOHC 1.9L auto) what kinda plugs should i get????? Im not racing it, or anything like that. Here is what it doing. When the AC is on, at a stop sign/light, it runs like ass. If i pop it in N the R's jump to around 2K. If I Turn off the AC it runs better.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/camarogod93/100_0166.jpg
(shitty plugs i have now^^)

I have autolites in there now. Im going to get new plugs (as soon as i get a good recommendation) So tell me what i NEED?!?!?!?!

Thanks, Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Personally, I suggest Champion plugs. You really can't go wrong with them. You might want to look at their single platinum set. You would more then likely notice a difference in performance, plus they have a longer life. They would run you $10.00, and to me, they are worth the extra.

While you're at it, check your wires too. If you have or can get a meter that will test OHMs, check the resistance and compare to factory specs. As they say, your cars only as good as it's worst part, something along those lines. So give them a look over as well. Bad wires and/or plugs will certainly cause problems under load.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
I've had excelent experinces with Champion plugs. Don't let the parts guys try and talk you into Bosche plugs. They are horrible (in my experience). GixxergirlRD is right about popping for the single platinums. She is also right about the plug wires, check the resistance and check the connectors for a clean tight fit as well.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
Champions SUCK in anything except lawn mowers and Chrysler vehichles.

Use whatever came in the vehichle stock (AC Delco's, and likely platinum). The factory uses the plugs it does for a reason, so replace it with the same (I'm an Auto Mechanic btw....I DO know what I'm talking about).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Champions SUCK in anything except lawn mowers and Chrysler vehichles.

Use whatever came in the vehichle stock (AC Delco's, and likely platinum). The factory uses the plugs it does for a reason, so replace it with the same (I'm an Auto Mechanic btw....I DO know what I'm talking about).
TraGik, does this apply to every part of your car? Do you run the same brand tires, rotors and pads, etc..? What about the stereo? Is it possible that manufactures choose certain name brands because they have contracts with them? So maybe it's NOT the actual brand, but the part specifications that matters most?

zz_3.14_zz, check your owners manual. I'm sure it will specify a gap size, I highly doubt it will specify name brand. Make sure you buy a plug with the correct gap, other then that it's personal choice. I still say Champion is a great plug.
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
Personally, I suggest Champion plugs. You really can't go wrong with them. You might want to look at their single platinum set. You would more then likely notice a difference in performance, plus they have a longer life. They would run you $10.00, and to me, they are worth the extra.

While you're at it, check your wires too. If you have or can get a meter that will test OHMs, check the resistance and compare to factory specs. As they say, your cars only as good as it's worst part, something along those lines. So give them a look over as well. Bad wires and/or plugs will certainly cause problems under load.


A girl that KNOWS how to work on cars and rides a sportbike... :cool:


Why did you had to be a lesbian!!?? :cry

Joking girl!

Couldn't have said it better myself. But I would add, are you sure airfilter is clean, O2 sensor working, and injectors clean???

By the looks of that plugs, don't think other items are that good on that car.
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Champions SUCK in anything except lawn mowers and Chrysler vehichles.

Use whatever came in the vehichle stock (AC Delco's, and likely platinum). The factory uses the plugs it does for a reason, so replace it with the same (I'm an Auto Mechanic btw....I DO know what I'm talking about).

Hmmm, AC Delco = GM. So it is likely they are using the AC Delco plugs because they manufacture them???

I've never used Champion plugs, but have never owned an american car, so I can't tell. In my VWs I've always used Bosch and on my bikes NGK.

(But I've heard that Bosch sucks pretty much in everything that aint German)

Oh, an on my GF's KA I also used NGKs!!!
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
TraGik, does this apply to every part of your car? Do you run the same brand tires, rotors and pads, etc..? What about the stereo? Is it possible that manufactures choose certain name brands because they have contracts with them? So maybe it's NOT the actual brand, but the part specifications that matters most?
No offense, but tell me this. How long have you been a auto mechanic?

It does not apply to EVERY part of the car. I may have been a little harsh on Champion plugs... They are on ok plug, but trust me, certain plugs belong in certain cars.

For instance, put ANYTHING other than NGK or Denso plugs in a Jap car, and atleast 75 percent of the time, the car will run like shit.

Put anything other than Champions in a Chrysler car, and 75 percent of the time it will run like shit. etc etc etc.

I know this, not only b/c other mechanics have told me, but because I tried it for myself.

Susser Tod - If my memory serves me correctly, GM does not actually manufacture AC Delco plugs. From what I've heard, Champion actually is the one that makes them, tho they are NOT the same as regular champion plugs.

Also, I'm not a fan of Bosch plugs either, EXCEPT in German cars. One other exception is their base line of plugs, not the platinum's. They work great in carb'd American cars, but never tried them in anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
TRaGiK, first and foremost, I'm not a mechanic. So you have me beat. I'm going to stick by my suggestion and still say that manufacture recommendations, are just that, recommendations. Parts should be purchased for the car based on the application itself. You determine what plugs to buy based on gap size, reach, heat range, etc...

I will agree that their are certain brands that will accommodate a certain car better then others. I don't know about Japanese cars or German cars so I won't even begin to go off on that. I do know, that we ONLY use Champion plugs in our cars and have never had an issue. The original post, might I add, was about an american made car as well.

The Champion plugs fit the specs for the car and would do just as good as AC Delco plugs.

Edit: By the way, I'm not trying to discredit your expertise in the field either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
A girl that KNOWS how to work on cars and rides a sportbike... :cool:


Why did you had to be a lesbian!!?? :cry

Joking girl!

Couldn't have said it better myself. But I would add, are you sure airfilter is clean, O2 sensor working, and injectors clean???

By the looks of that plugs, don't think other items are that good on that car.
I thought the same thing when I saw the plug too.

Yea, I ask myself that sometimes too. Why, oh why? Sorry, 'tis the way the world works I guess. :boink
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
The Champion plugs fit the specs for the car and would do just as good as AC Delco plugs.

Edit: By the way, I'm not trying to discredit your expertise in the field either.
I will say that american cars (Specifically GM and Ford cars) are more forgiving on what kind of plug you put in them, but I still recomend using what the factory uses.

Champions MIGHT be a fine replacement for the original plugs, IF the originals are NOT of the platinum variety. From my previous experience, the factory plugs are the only ones that will go as long of an interval between changes. Meaning, most OEM GM platinum plugs, are to be changed at 100k mile intervals....they actually do last that long. However, put a different brand in there, and they last maybe 1/4 of that amount of time before needing changing again.

Never took it as you discrediting me either. ;)
 

·
King of Oilernation
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
Best bet is to try platinum plugs and new wires. Make sure gap is correct. Autolite, Champion, AC Delco should be fine.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top