Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 YZF R1, I hear a engine knock when the bike Idles, the knock goes away slightly when the clutch is engaged and comes back when its not. I hear it when ever it idles even with the clutch covered. I do not hear it as prominent when the bike is going at a good rate of speed. One post said that they fixed the knock by changing the front sproket and the chain and that fixed the problem. One other tip I got said that it could be a rod or crankshaft bearing that is bad.....I need advise on what I should do.....:):)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
If the bike is not moving, it is not the chain or sprocket making the noise. It can cause a knock-sounding noise when the bike is MOVING if it is worn out, but not while still.

I'd see if you can find a way to hook up an oil pressure gauge.

When you hear knocking at idle, but it goes away with a little increase in engine speed, it is almost always an oil pressure issue, which is indicative of bad bearings inside the engine somewhere.

If it gets WORSE with engine speed increase, it's usually piston slap or something like that.

If it's a ticking coming from the top end and varies with engine speed, it can be the valves out of adjustment or the cam chain tensioner going bad.

Is it a knocking, or a ticking? They are different. Can you tell when it's coming from? Bottom end, top end, left side, right side?

Might even be something with the clutch discs rubbing each other. They may be a bit warped.

First thing, change you oil and make sure you use the correct type. Make sure it is filled properly. Check carefully for metal shavings in the old oil. Go from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HELP with engine knock 2

Well I drained the oil and replaced it. I put the heavier oil in it as the manual said I could use, and no shavings, snow flakes, nothing but oil. ANy other ideas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts