Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, question that I figured the ones who stunt their bikes would know a bit about.

I really really would like to learn to wheelie/endo, problem is- I really really dont want to mess my bike up. Im not really afraid of going down so much- i just cant afford replacing parts on the bike, and its my only form of transport..... anyway....

A friend and I were practicing slow (10mph) clutch wheelies on my 84 shadow 500 for a good 45 minutes until we decided to call it quits. We were pretty comfortable pulling the clutch and revving it to about 6.5 k and dumping it- and it would come up... the thing is we must have done this many many times in a 45 minute span just going back and forth, slipping the clutch and getting the hang of it. It was fun as hell- we were laughing so hard. We knew we sucked but thought 'this is the shit'.

Now this bike is older than me, isnt too powerful, but i tried a wheelie on the way home and the clutch just slipped (i wasnt suprised, it lasted a long ass time) and also slipped at WOT. Now it wont start from unrelated issues.

So now all i have is my 600RR, i really want to get wheelies down- I have a place to practice and everything, but I just cant justify the high possiblility of messing it up...

Currently i have powerwheelied it a couple of times (1st), but it feels a bit uncontrolled and i have to do it at a speed of 50 mph or so. I would love to practice low speed clutch wheelies, but am afraid of damaging the clutch, and fork seals. :dunno

My question is- How much would it cost to replace a clutch and fork seals for a 600RR. ? How much abuse can it approximately take before its toast? Also, what would many of you do in my situation? I want to be able to stunt .... but also dont want to fug up my bike. I like my bike. How applicable would it be to save up and have a few friends and me go in on a dirtbike to practice wheelies on? would the skills learned there apply somewhat to street stunting?

Thanks alot guys.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I don't clutch wheelies becuase I don't have to or want to. You will wear out the clutch and stretch the chain like that when you learn. I can wheelie the f4i using the on-off method and have them going for a good 100-150 yards until I run out of rpm's no problem. I can get them longer but I don't like the bike that high. You can't see shit. Take the bike up to 7,000 kind of hard, let off the gas, then tap it again. Do that in one fluid motion and the bike should pop up a few inches. Do that over and over again until you start to get it higher. It all comes with practice. Trust me I read all over stuntlife and other how to places and you can't get it until you feel it. If I tried doing the wheelies I do now when I started I would have looped it a long time ago. Just work your way up. Once you start to get it up to about a foot you will have it down within a month and ride them whenever you want.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
i clutched my R6 in first all the time at slow speed and never had a problem with the clutch/chain at all. i was goin bout 8-10mph, using 2 fingers, i cluctched it to about 7000 or so, and let it out fluidly. i didnt snap it out, more of like a smooth in-and-out motion. as i was letting out the clutch, id roll on the throttle to keep it up. the right body position is also real important. took me a few days to get it down, but i much preferred clutchin it up in first rather than pure throttle. came up more predictably and consistant with the clutch. careful cause it will loop if you snap the clutch back open or give it too much gas as you roll on. all this was on a 99 R6 with stock gearing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have an '03 R6 and I have some friends who do alot of stunting with some 954's and they were trying to get me to use the clutch for wheelies but I just can't get used to it for whatever reason. I'll stick to my 2nd gear bounceing and 1st gear power wheelies. I Can ride them out as long as I feel like it but they are not at slow speeds.

Wes

·
Registered
531 Posts
Powering it up is a good place to start, mostly just to get the feel of the front tire off the ground. Thing is you start out at a high rpm and once it hits it's powerband BOOM it just want to keep going, quickly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys.

I was out working on it today (powering it up)

Its really not as hard as i thought, I think i feel much more at home on my bike now.

I went behind some warehouses near my house, on this big stretch that we used to drag race at (with our cars in highschool), I made a few passes getting it up a couple of inches, and a few "good" ones a foot or two up off the ground. The thing is they are kind of inconsitent... maybe its just me. I need to really get the RPM's up, like past 9 or 10, or lean back on it a bit more.

Would you guys reccomend stand-ups when powering it up, or only do stand up on clutch wheelies? Just playing with my options....

I was thinking that i was just starting to get a good feel for it when the local security guys rolled around. Thanks for the help again.

Ill keep you guys updated on my progress because im sure you all really want to know ... :nerd

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just had my forks replaced and it costed (at the shop) about 100 bucks for both. The seals themselves only costed about 15 bucks a piece. Of course, this wasn't on a 600rr but it doesn't matter, a fork is a fork. Good luck with the wheelies

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
fork seals suck, i just busted my right one AGAIN learning tank wheelies. ah well that bitch is just gonna have to leak, i cant afford to fix it now. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
your bike is similar to mine but underpowerd and less weight. i cruise about high 20s/low30s and nail it then i ride some decent ones. if i do the cruise then off and on im up there and riding soem good ones. im not using more hten half throttle but on yorus youll beable to do the same just with more throttle. i can ride them out to about 80mph but with yours you should be able to ride them to like mid sixtys. also sit back alittle and let your legs go loose make sure your left is above the shifter. if you move it outward it will cause the biek to go left. i keep my foot under it but i hit neutral alot. ive shifted into second a few times doign them but i sucks hitting neutral and droppign hte bike down and killing hte forks

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
I'd price fairings(if you care), those engine crankcase covers that stick out of the fairings...figure atleast one and the gasket. Also the labor cost if you don't know the funamentals of the *world of screw drivers/allen wrenches*! Also stay on the throttle coming down(keep wheel strait) and save your front forks. Usually I'm down with helping the cause, provide you learn in a parking lot, and keep it off public streets; but have to ask why destroy your only means of transit(insurance doesn't cover this type of "accident")? Sorry to be an a$$ just being the voice of reason!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts