Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a new helmet, but not sure what to get.. I currently own a lower based HJC so looking to upgrade to something better. I have a blue 2007 R6. after browsing, seems the scorpion is best for its price.. not sure to get the 400,700 or 750.. I find I can match the helmets with the exo 400s better but its a lower model....would the 750 eternity match?. any ideas? Not sure if I should incorporate blue or just get a flat black helmet etc..

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you're worried about matching your helmet to your bike...then get whatever helmet that looks great to you.

But if you're getting a helmet to do its job, it should fit well and tight around your face and head. IN addition, you should try on the helmet to see if have any pressure points.

Learn from my mistakes at one point. I bought an Arai RX7 Corsair size small. It felt fine for the first 15minutes, but then i can feel a very painful pressure point on my head which gave me a headache and a pinching feeling. I should of went with a medium size for that helmet. Furthermore my headshape will determine which model of helmet I would get. My head fits a Quantum 2 Arai, perhaps size small or medium. On the safe side, i'll try medium.

Don't buy a helmet that goes on your head very easily. It should have a bit of resistance putting on your head and taking off your head.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I've always liked Shoei, but have switched to a Bell RS-1 for a couple reasons:

1. it flows a TON of air, more than the Shoei X-11, which was one of the tops

2. you can buy a self tinting shield, so you are good to go no matter what the light conditions.

Check out Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - webBikeWorld and make SURE you get a good fit, that is critical

·
Spiffy...
2,345 Posts
How to Measure Your Head For Different Helmet Sizes

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

IMO, fit is the most important factor. When you move to the higher price brackets, you are paying for durability, lower weight and features such as removable, washable and replaceable padding / visors. Arguably, the lower priced helmets offer the same standards of safety. In my experience, it is worth the price of higher end helmets for the features and durability you get though. I've owned low end Bell helmets, HJC, KBC, Scorpion. All were decent, but just not as good as my current Suomy Spec 1R. It weighs less, the visor latch is awesome, the padding has held up fantastically.

If you can afford a higher end helmet, it will likely last you much longer in my experience; I found that cheaper helmets altered their fit drastically after about 10K miles, due to padding degradation. This hasn't happened with my Suomy, and if it did, I can simply purchase replacement pads which is not even an option with many helmets.

Edit: just realized he was asking about color coordination. So, if that's the issue, plan ahead and get flat black. It'll probably match the bike very soon.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just went from my very first helmet, an HJC CL-16 to a Bell RS-1.......what a difference! HJC helmets tend to fit "round" style head shapes whereas the Bell fits "intermediate oval". I knew nothing about helmets when I got my HJC and it seemed to fit good......up until I tried on the Bell. The thing is so comfortable! Add to that a bunch of cool high end helmet things like the shield system, venting system, magnafusion strap.....and to top it off, the optional SolFX transition visor.....this helmet is awesome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
so you guys are saying the bell rs1 is the best bang for my buck?
it ranges 250-300 right?
i love the Born Free Bell RS1

·
old member
13,079 Posts
so you guys are saying the bell rs1 is the best bang for my buck?
it ranges 250-300 right?
i love the Born Free Bell RS1
The Bell RS1 is a great helmet especially for the price, but it may not fit your head shape. Different helmet models have shell shapes that fit different head shapes better. There's no substitute for trying on helmets in person to find a make, model, and size that's right for your head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts