Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 1992 GSXR 600 for sale that i'm about to buy. Its been wrecked or dropped from what i can tell and what he has told me. Small dent on gas tank, and scuffs on the fairings. Also the upper and lowers are black and not with the color scheme. Dont know anything about past owner(s) or info on the bike.

Does anyone know anything about the 1992 GSXR's that might help me? The bike has 20k on it. He said it gets ridden almost everyday or atleast started. The guy he got it from got it out of a impound yard were its been sitting. The guy put on brand new carbs, battery abd fuses since its been sitting i guess. Says everything works great no signs of overheating. Road it on back road and old highway for about an hour straight. Needs front brakes and a back tire to pass emissions. Stock exhaust and everything. Only thing he has replaces himself was the gauge cluster since the old one stopped working.

FIgured for 1,400$ its a good price. Will also be my 1st bike.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
$400 tops. That bike is 14 years old. And a total beater. He should pay you to take it away.

·
Registered
124 Posts
+1

A buddy of mine fell into this trap with an '85 VFR 500. He paid $1000 for it, cause he thought it was a deal. It may have seemed like it to him, since he had no knowledge of bikes and his idea of pricing was based on brand new bikes at the showroom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
walk away. the early gixxers were good bikes, but you should be able to find a very nice one for that. it sounds like a death trap to me...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So yall dont think 1,400$ is a good price for the bike even if everything checks out? Also what makes it seem like a death trap? Have 2.3k to spend but almost have to include buying helmet jacket ect. What kind of bike do you guys think i can get for that price range then? My plan was to buy it ride it around till i have enough money to sell it and then get something nicer.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If this is your first bike and you won't be keeping it long, I'd stay away from it. The problem is that it will be really tough to sell when you want to unload it, a really important consideration in my mind. I mean, just look at how much you're agonizing over the purchase. The next buyer will likely do the same.

I agree with the other guys, that you should buy something nicer that doesn't need too much work. Something around $1800 should leave you enough money to buy some good gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots). For your first bike you want something that you can ride, not something that constantly requires work. If it was a second bike, or a track-only bike, then I'd say offer $700 and put some work into it. As a first and only bike, I say no way.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
Magic8 said:
So yall dont think 1,400$ is a good price for the bike even if everything checks out? Also what makes it seem like a death trap? Have 2.3k to spend but almost have to include buying helmet jacket ect. What kind of bike do you guys think i can get for that price range then? My plan was to buy it ride it around till i have enough money to sell it and then get something nicer.
generally i'd say stay away from it. $1400 may be a good deal on a bike that needs a little work. $1400 on a bike that may need another $1400 in it no longer sounds like a good deal, huh?

the bike does have one advantage that not a lot of other bikes have. the 92GSXR 600 was basically a resleved GSXR750 and it also shared many parts from the GSXR1100. what does all that mean? it means there are parts aplenty for that bike if you are inclined to buy it. they are also very easy to owrk on. the GSXR motors are mostly bulletproof and do not require a geat of work to get decent power out of them.

i don't think, however, the real question is, "should i buy this bike?" the real question is should you be buying a bike at all with the limited amount of money you have. you may be better off waiting until you have some more money saved. i realize summer is almost over but buying a bike you may not get to ride this year is the worse alternative to not buying a bike this summer at all.

if you want a project bike and don't mind doing work i'd say buy it. i think you's be better served by waiting and buying something that will require less work however.

·
Registered
288 Posts
dude u got 2 grand to spend do your self a favor and go find a nice f2 or f3 they are a dime a dozen and are the best bikes to learn on

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i think i might get something nicer now. As far as work on the 92 it doesn't need any really.. Theres no cracks or anything in the plastic all ionly the few scuffs mentioned. it just needs is a rear wheel and new front brakes and thats to pass emissions and what not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
freeky929 said:
It doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. $1400 for a running sportbike should be decent.

Well thats what i was thinking. Only need front brakes and a back tire to be put on the road. Rides fine without them but thats just to pass. Does anyone think i will have a problem resalling it? More likely to pass it up and save and get something nicer ATM.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
Magic8 said:
Well thats what i was thinking. Only need front brakes and a back tire to be put on the road. Rides fine without them but thats just to pass. Does anyone think i will have a problem resalling it? More likely to pass it up and save and get something nicer ATM.
if it doesn't need anything more than a back tire and brake pads it should be fine. if you are sure that is all it needs. to be honest, with the amount of experience you have, i'd take it to a dealer and have them look at it before you purchase it. i'd recommend that for any bike you buy.

the GSXR600 wasn't a bad bike. it was heavier than other bikes out there and a bit down on power. it had a very nice chassis and there are plenty of parts available for it if you look.

·
Registered
110 Posts
jk750 said:
$400 tops. That bike is 14 years old. And a total beater. He should pay you to take it away.

I have to agree that bike is quite old, there could also be hidden problems with the transmission and engine. Is there any damage to the frame? if there is any visible damage to the frame walk away. How about the chain and sprockets what type of condition are they in?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
son123 said:
I have to agree that bike is quite old, there could also be hidden problems with the transmission and engine. Is there any damage to the frame? if there is any visible damage to the frame walk away. How about the chain and sprockets what type of condition are they in?

As far as i know he says it runs fine through all the gears. Theres no damage on the bike but for the dent in the tank which is pretty small and a few scuffs on the fairings. Hes dads is a mechanic an does most the the work on anything they own. Owns several old cars ect and knows some about bike and working on them. He said the only thing that might need to be change is the carb needs to be tuned a little better. I think it was sputters in the high RPMS or something along those lines. He dad would do it but hes didn't have the right tool. Something to do with a vacuum line or tool or something.

When he brings it i'll look it over ride it around ect. So i still have the chance to walk away from it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts