Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I removed my stator cover to sand and re-paint it (a lot cheaper than buying a new one) because of my little incident at the track last weekend. The stator cover is perfectly fine...just needed a good sanding and repainting.

I removed the cover yesterday, and unbolted the actual stator from the cover, because I could not find where the connector was to just pull out the whole assembly with the wire still attached. I left the stator still connected to the rest of the bike, hanging by it wire (well, I put a bucket underneath it to hold it up so it wouldnt be dangling there).

Anyway, I repainted it, re-installed the stator and the starter gear (which came off when I took the cover off) etc...started her up and now it seems to be making a weird noise, which seems to be coming from the stator area.

It sounds like a ticking noise...and to be honest, it may have been there before, I never really listened to my engine in that area, especially with the fairing off.

I really dont know what I could have done wrong...everything seemed to be in place when I re-installed it. And if not, I'd assume I'd hear some pretty horrible grinding noises if the gear wasnt installed correctly or somethign was seriously wrong.

So am I crazy, or was this ticking noise here before? Maybe its because the oil in that area hasnt really flowed back yet to lube the gears etc? I really dont wanna take it all apart again!

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW--Duplicolor spray for wheels in the copper color is almost a perfect match for the brownish gold engine cases!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a strange ticking noise the other day at idle, I had cranked the bike up with the petcock on OFF. I finally realized the prob and turned it ON before the bike stalled and away went the tick tick tick tick tick

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have heard this "ticking noise" Ive heard it for awhile, even before I did my oil change.. it almost reminds me of valves.. and how they tick when they move..

I am not sure what it is, but when riding, I put my head down near the gauges, and you can hear it better..

So if anyone can tell us what this is, or if it is normal, and we are just now noticing it.. please let us know!.. Thanks. Josh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys I have a 94 xv1100 virago I took the stator cover off stator out cleaned up shop put it all back together and had the tapping sound as well I tore it back down turned up it was the hold down tab that holds the stator wires in place on the cover. The tab was rubbing the rotor sounded like a valve or something crazy but I knew better.. not sure if this is helpful or not but worth sharing..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Guys I have a 94 xv1100 virago I took the stator cover off stator out cleaned up shop put it all back together and had the tapping sound as well I tore it back down turned up it was the hold down tab that holds the stator wires in place on the cover. The tab was rubbing the rotor sounded like a valve or something crazy but I knew better.. not sure if this is helpful or not but worth sharing..
You Virago is a Sportbike?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts