Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's b-day is Sunday.. I HAVE to buy her something today during my lunch hour..

I want the receiver + car adaptor.. which one do you recommend? What are the monthly charges on XM and Sirius? What model should I get? And good deals at Bestbuy/Circuit City/Wal-Mart/Target? I can't order it online because I need to by today...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Rob

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
I don't think it matters which you go with; prices are about the same for the basic gadgetry and (I think) monthly fees are the same. I've got Sirius in my truck as a factory-installed option, so I don't have to pay for the first year's service, but after a year, it's 10.00/month. Pretty cheap cost for the entertainment value. Money well-spent, IMO.
I also think that in another few years, both companies will merge into one. Last I heard, both companies were in the hole, financially. I can only think that it's due to lack of awareness of just how much better driving really is with satellite radio.
Good luck to you -

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HUH? In the hole???? Really? Should I still get my wife one or is there a posibility that they will go bankrupt???

I saw the one with 30 minute replay option which looks really cool...

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I have had both and they are virtually identical. If I had to choose I would pick XM. Unless you are a Howard Stern fan. I can't wait to hear how he is on Sirius. He better be damn good or his half a billion dollar contract will be their downfall.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
BrownRob said:
HUH? In the hole???? Really? Should I still get my wife one or is there a posibility that they will go bankrupt???

I saw the one with 30 minute replay option which looks really cool...
I doubt they'll go bankrupt, but as I said I personally think that the two companies will merge in order to maximize the consumer base and streamline operating expenses.

Satellite radio is so good that once consumers really get a chance to use it, they'll be hooked. I feel this is why the automakers are offering the first year free. It's a cheap option when ordering, and if it's already turned on and useable for a year after purchase, folks will realize they can't do without it once the free year expires. Hence, the consumer base gets b***** by one with every car sold. I know that when my year is up, I'll resubscribe.

·
Registered
361 Posts
basically, I prefer XM

if you want stern, go serius.

XM does have all the baseball games (if that interests your or your wife) and ALOT of nascar coverage (don't know about serius)

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
^^^ If you follow the stocks, then you're right, Stephen. I've not looked at their stock value; I'm going on heresay (source credibility questionable), and what I've heard makes sense. Both companies are fairly new, so I would assume they both still have huge startup costs they're dealing with. As I said, though, I think it's only a matter of time before one or both companies start doing very, very well.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i have 3 sirius subscriptions.........2 cars & office receiver

i hate that sirius spent so much on stern

sirius seems to have better specials on equipment. i recently got a closeout receiver w/ car kit and home kit for $75, -$50 rebate, sold the car kit for $30......i made $5 on the deal, and have it in my office now.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
I got sirius and love it. From when I was shopping I can't remember why, but I figured out that sirius was a better deal. Back then part of it was that you could listen to sirius online and could not with XM. I usually listen to sirius octane which is a good heavy rock station. also area 63 which is all techno and euro.. overall I am very satisfied.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
Not impressed with Sirius, had a chance to play with it in our CLS on the drive to Laguna last weekend. Slow to change channels (like Directv) and really only about five channels I actually like. I wouldn't buy it if it didn't come with a car-- and I'd prefer that it didn't come with a new car since I wouldn't want to pay for that shit every month, and I'd have a worthless button on my dash.

One redeeming quality..... The Elvis-only station, it kicks ass (usually)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.. I just got back from bestbuy.. I got the Delphi Roady2 XM with car adaptor kit for $49! Pretty good huh? Anyone have experience with this model?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
MAGNUM636 said:
Not impressed with Sirius, had a chance to play with it in our CLS on the drive to Laguna last weekend. Slow to change channels (like Directv) and really only about five channels I actually like. I wouldn't buy it if it didn't come with a car-- and I'd prefer that it didn't come with a new car since I wouldn't want to pay for that shit every month, and I'd have a worthless button on my dash.

One redeeming quality..... The Elvis-only station, it kicks ass (usually)
have you played w/ XM, i would bet the delay is the same........it is satalite.

haven't listened to local crap radio in the car for the 2 yrs we've had sat. just put it in the office, so i wouldn't have to listen to local crap 8 hrs a day.......shoulda done it along time ago

sirius 22, 80's electronica....... :phatyo

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I would like to add that if you only listen to a couple of channels, both can be very repetitious. I drive an hour and change to work and once I started hearing the same songs that was it. Hardest part to get rid of was the uncensored comedy channels. They were great!

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
have you played w/ XM, i would bet the delay is the same........it is satalite.
No I haven't, but I assume the delay is unavoidable. Wierd thing is, my friend has a little RF unit he got from best buy. He can surf the channels and see exactly what's currently on each station. In the CLS, with the sirius integrated in the console with the stereo, nav, trip computer, you can't scan by artist/title-- only by station name. And if you're looking at the artist/title on the center screen, it takes like 10 seconds for it to come up. Just little things.

You're right X, local radio does indeed suck. But .mp3s are free and blank CDs are cheap. I also feel like those satellite stations are just like listening to someone's winamp playlist-- some of the stations don't have djs. Not that I miss the babbling of a DJ, but it feels a bit detached. Don't know if this happens to you, but my friends agree: there are some songs you'd skip right past if they were on a CD, but you'd rock them if they came on the radio.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Go to www.crutchfield.com for a very concise easy to understand explaination between the two and make your choice based on what they suggest. They have some of the best help anywhere when it comes to nearly anything hitech sound and video. Good deals and anything is free to fuck with for 30 days. ya doan like it for any reason send it back and tell em what to send back. I reccomend them for all but the very very upper end esoteric home theater stuff... that none of us can afford anyway... :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I install all sorts of systems on a daily basis where I work. Personally I have an old Audiovox Sirius I got for free from a Rep when I installed at BB. Both have similar sound quality, and offer comparable equipment options- Aftermarket car radios that direct link to Sat recievers, RF mod car mount systems, home rack recievers, home/car plug n play units, etc. Prices are the same now I believe 12-13$/mo. You can get some killer deals on equipment for both companies at most any electronics store, just watch the specials. Programming is basically the same formats, Sirius has NFL, XM has Nascar and Baseball I think, but I don't care about the sport channels. I love the satellite radios because you don't hear the same song 3 times an hour with 5 minutes of commercials between every damn song. Network radio makes me sick, and I never listen to it since I have my sat. As for service either brand would do well, just get on their websites and check out the programming guides and se which has more potential interest for your listening taste.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts