Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 ZX10R the previous owner lowered it about 2inches in the front to drag race. I'm wanting to get into runing on track days and curves and stuff on the street. I heard that it will ride much better on the street anyways. My problem is raising it back up to the stock stance. I tried losening the clamp bolts on the front but that didn't work. How do I do this and should I?

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
there don't make lowering links for the front.

I would think the way he lowered it is Ninja 38 is moved the stancions like you were trying to do. Unless he swapped the front end out and put a conversion on it.

pics?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
raising

The problem was I couldn't pull the bike up after I losened it up. You can tell they just losened it up and let the bike drop down, because the forks stick up past the triple tree about 2 inches!

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
^ lol, no problem :)

Ninja, try this, have a friend give you a hand, those triple clamps are pretty dang tight. One of you stand over the bike with the bolts loosened up. and the other one step on the wheel and tug. They probably still won't move.

Most likely you will have to remove your front wheel, put the bike on a bike stand and move them one by one. Make sure when you move them they are the same length exactly or you will have serious issues.

btw did you loosen all the bolts on the clamps? I don't think they are all going to be accesable with the fairing on (i'm assuming you have removed it already and figured that out, heck i don't know if ANY are accesable with the fairing on)

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
you need to get the weight off the front wheel. I'm not sure if even the Guvernator could muscle it by himself.

Ideally you'd get a rear stand and a front steering-stem stand (the regular ones hold by the bottom of the forks, that does you no good at all). If you look in some fork work threads you'll see some contraptions people use like hanging the bike from rafters or making a frame out cheap pvc pipe and suspending from that.

But since you only need it up for a few minutes at most, I think two buddies you REALLY trust and your car's tire jack would do it. Just take the bottom fairing off and raise the engine until the wheel is off the ground. Your buddies make sure it doesn't fall off the jack, and if it does, offer their bodies to cushion the bike's fall.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
or just take the fairings off and lay the bike down on some grass. side of a hill would probably be best.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Pull the fairings off and get two friends to stand on either side and lift the front, should be able to find plenty of places on the frame to hold on to. Just be ready to go once they lift, I'm sure it'll get heavy after a while. Or if you have access to a garage with open rafters and some ratcheting straps, you could lift the front that way.

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
i'm not a custom to the 636, but i suppose it doesn't have a centerstand correct?

but if it does, just put it up on that and lean it back...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.