Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1999 R1 with a 2001 R1 motor in it. The bike has aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket airbox, and aftermarket coils. My problem is my tachometer. The tach needle will work momentarily and then jump to 7200 rpm and then back down to 0 -- even if the bike is still running. I think this is some kind of trouble code. The bike runs fine, but it will continue to pop up this trouble code about every 6 seconds, so I can't use my tach. I've tried changing the wiring harness and gauges over to 2001 parts, but that still didn't fix it. Can anyone tell me what could fix this?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
that is the diagnostic code for the EXUP valve. I actually replied to this before the great crash. Your tach will display 3 different diagnostic codes. They cycle every 6 seconds as you have discovered. changing out the wiring harness will not change the code or lack of. you can safely run your engine and ride the bike w/the diagnostic code displaying. the engine codes per the service manual are as follows:

3000 rpms: throttle position sensor
7000 rpms: exup related (I'll hit this in a second)
8000 rpms: fuel level indicator light

about the 7000 diagnostic code, per the manual, it could be one of the 3 things:
improper connection, short circuit or the servomotor is locked.

the tach will display something like this (this is normal under these conditons), 0 rpms for 3 seconds, diagnostic code for 2.5 seconds and engine speed for 3 seconds.

you might pick up a service manual at this point. I'm not great on electrical stuff. I can help w/diagnosis, but not neccessarily (sp?) fixing it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I've got aftermarket exhaust on the bike. Isn't that where the valve or servo should be? I bought the bike exactly as it sits, so I'm a little dumb about Yamahas. What can I do to get this to stop? Any ideas?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
I believe the exup valve is located in the mid-pipe so if it is a full system, it should be history. this is what I would do at this point. I would go to this website and get a servosub. look and see if you still have a servo, if you do not you will have this display. you could put another motor on, but it would probably be easier to put a servosub on instead.

www.samannasystems.com

hope this helps and shoot me a PM if you got more questions. I can find out the answer to just about anything if I don't know it already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts