Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend went to look at a 1996 GSX-R 750 last nite. I'm not sure what I would give for it considering the shape it's in. I thought I would inquire here for the SBN membership vast knowledge base.

12,000 miles, stock.
Fairings are not cracked, but are scratched.
Bike has been sitting for 3.5 years.
Needs front and rear tires.
Choke cable is broken, needs to be replaced.
Carbs need to be cleaned. It took 20 minutes to start the bike but it would not idle on it's own. Ran like shit except for top end.
Salvage title.
Previous owner raced it in WERA races.
The owner is asking 2500.
Suzuki dealership wants 400 to clean the carbs and 375 for new tires installed. Not sure how much the choke cable will cost.

I'm not sure if it would be worth the headache. I really do appreciate everyones input here.

I've actually been trying to talk him into Twinsen's ZX9 or Freaky929's CBR929.

·
Registered
791 Posts
why not buy a newer gixxer for 3500.... :bitchslap

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
$2500 for a salvage title bike that has been abused???

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess he likes the 750. I was thinking 2000 for this one or pay a bit more for one that actually runs. I'm not sure how he would register/tag a salvaged title bike either. Thank you very much for your input.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
seems a bit high to me considering how much work/money you'll need to put into it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
$2000 seems high. I jus sold my 95 F3 for $2,000 and it started every time, ran like a champ, had good tires, and only scuffs on the fairings. $2500 for a junker is insane. I just bought an 04 R6 (Laid down, not bad) for $3,000. . .

·
Registered
361 Posts
okay.

first off, don't take it to the dealer to have them go through the carbs, do it yourself, also on tires, buy the tires online, and take the rims off and take them to a place to have the tires mounted and balenced. Also, look at the conditino of the chain, sitting that long, you might want to consider replacing that as well. Don't forget a battery that is that old and sitting that long will probably need replacement. You are looking at a long weekend and about $700 to get that bike back to running condition. I would offer no more then $1800, figuring it needs tires, a clutch cable, a battery, a chain, fluid change, and the carbs cleaned. And that is only if he is hard up for a $2500 salvage title 7 year old, ex-racer bike.

I would pass

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've told my friend that it's going to take some time and money to get the bike going.
On one hand I think it's good that my friend will have to spend some time wrenching on his own bike. That is if he chooses to clean the carbs and install the choke cable himself. Actually, I'll probably be the one doing most of the work while he watches and learns. Also, if/when he crashes he won't be too upset because he's not wrecking a NEW bike.
The downside is what if the bike needs more than the carbs, tires, cable ? Battery and chain probably but I haven't actually seen the bike myself. Not sure if this bike is a $2500 headache.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I can't give a price but I had a 96 gixxer. My favorite bike I ever owned!!! Thanks for making me miss it :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd honestly look for one that you could hop on and ride without worrying about headaches right away. It could be possible that after you fix these problems other things may be opened up to get fixed and that's not what anyone wants to deal with unless you love working on bikes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He passed on the 750. I'm glad he did, I know how much he liked the color but that's about all it had going for it. I didn't want this to turn into a huge headache for him.

But we did find a 1992 ZX-11 with only 16,000 miles on it. Black on black. $3000. I called they guy and he just used it to commute and tour on it. Guys said it's got a new back tire and the original brake pads on it. I'm not sure at what mileage the valves have to be check but I think this is about as good a deal as my friend is going to get. His soon to be wife gave him the "OK" to get a bike since gas prices are skyrocketing. I've always liked the ZX-11 myself. We are going up to check it out on Saturday. $3000 sounds like a fair deal for a bike that doesn't need anything but a rider. What do you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts