Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a ninja 500 or so i think i know nothing bout bikes but i work on big trucks and cars so i thought i could fix it, i was wrong the bike takes forever to start and when it does it will die rite after the only way to start it is to half throttle it then it will run as long as i give it some gas but will only run for bout 30 sec then die, if i give it full throttle it will die rite then i don’t know if fuel n vaccum lines r rite cuz it had caught fire with the previous owner what do i do

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well i got it to start a road it a few miles but that all i got it to go before it would die, it would crank rite back up then go for a sec then die, it also seemed like it didn’t have any power and would not accelerate very well and when rpms got to bout 4 to 5 would start to die need help t9 understand thi#

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
Yup. Definitely a fuel problem. You might try a can of Sea Foam before you start tearing things apart. That stuff is magic. Get it at any parts store. Add to gas tank (best) or pour directly into the air flow.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Wait, the bike caught fire when the previous owner had it? There's a variety of plastic and rubber parts that could be damaged. If you are getting air into the mix downstream from the carbs, then you get a lean condition that will make the bike run poorly or not at all, depending. Vacuum lines could be gone or misrouted. Carbs could be damaged or silted up. I'm betting on dirty carbs, and that a stuck float may have caused a fuel spill that then led to the fire. Carbs are pretty easy to rebuild, and as a mechanic, you know how to keep track of parts and keep everything clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts