Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally located where the oil was leaking at, and decided to change the piston seal in the clutch slave cylinder. I dont know why I didn't think about this before, but oil shouldn't be getting close to the slave cylinder, right? When I removed the piston, sure enough, there was a small amount of oil sitting in the recess where the transmission tunnel/shaft is located; this is where the leak is coming from.

This is the diagram that has the clutch piston seal, etc:
91 ZX750-J1
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0222/clutch/clutch.cfm?man=ka&groupid=13580&parent=13460

My question is why would oil be leaking from the transmission shaft tunnel?

and

How in the world do I fix it?

On that diagram it shows part 92143, collar; I am hoping this is what has gone bad, since it is cheap, but it looks like I will have to pull the entire clutch assembly to get to it. From the slave side, the only thing i can see is the push rod, and the push rod cap; i cant get to anything else from this side(left).

I really appreciate any help I can get, this leak has completely dumped on my riding season so far. brand new tires, and i cant take a left turn worth crap cuz the oil is getting on the rear tire. Thanks again

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
If I were you, I would either download the service manual somewhere or buy a Haynes Manual
http://www.haynes.com/naordin.html
This is the one you need.
2054 - ZX750 (Ninja ZX-7 & ZX-7R), 750cc, '89 thru '95

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Thats a common problem on those bikes. I know I own several of them and worked for the factory race team.

If your getting engine oil its from the push rod seal on the transmission cover. You will need to replace it.

If it was brake fluid, its from the slave cylinder.

If you take the transmission cover off, do yourself a favor and buy a "factory" shift kit. It will make it worth your time to replace the $8 seal you need to replace. The bike will feel alot better going thru gears.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hybrid, thanks for the tip. :cheers It is definetely oil leaking. I was trying to find the push rod seal, and cant. Could you point out or tell me which category thats under on the parts diagrams. I am guessing its not the collar I mentioned in my post.

2001FX1, considering this is my first bike, and ive replaced the electronics, redid the forks, brakes, slave seal, etc...., all without a manual, I think I will be okay :neener just kidding, ive got the clymer manual, but it doesn't mention anything about this problem, or point out that the seal in question is prone to failure. At this point I am assuming all my seals are prone to failure since the bike sat so long. but thanks :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts