Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. So this is a new purchase, well trade I should say. I can tell it was a race bike/track bike due to all the safety wiring I'm finding, low miles (9500), many performance upgrades, all things to do with a passenger removed, only side wear on tires, and the roughness from being down, both sides but at low speeds. It has a power commander, quickshift, and Leo Vince titanium full exhaust. The thing is ridiculous fast but it runs crappy at low speeds and low RPMs. The guy before didn't know much about motorcycles and only put 100 miles on it. He did put regular gas in it which it then sat for about 2 months with. There wasn't much left in the tank so I filled it with super and put in some STP fuel injection cleaner (was limited to whatever was at the gas station). It did start running a little better, mostly just not dying when coming to a stop, but still bad. I know the gas thing is bad but I'm also wondering if it could just be over tuned for all out hauling a** because once you get over 5k or so RPM it runs smooth and beautiful. Could it also be tuned to run race gas? I'm having problems getting under the rear cowl as he removed the key and cable stuff to release it. (On a side note, what's the best way to get that off to replace it?) So I'm assuming it's a PC3 unit but not sure obviously. Where do i start? The fairings seem to be stock and aren't in that bad of shape so maybe it was an extra or a practice bike. Also has a Carrozeria wheel but only the front. Thanks much.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Take the power commander off launch it into a neighbours garden you dont like and I suspect many of your issues will vanish . I fookin hate those things , I fookin hate the Gixxernauts telling me how much more power they get and the 3 weeks later after commiting all sorts of fuckery with it their bike dont run right . They blame things apart from themselves , I remove it and hey presto like magic the bike works fine again . I then explain they dont give more power they just move it around . They shrug and go away and sell the thing to another gixxernaut who sees them as be all and end all of motorcycle tuning and the cycle starts again .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually it ended up being the ground from the ignition module disconnected. Like I said the guy didn't know anything about bikes. He unplugged the battery I'm guessing and forgot that terminal. It runs amazing. I like the powercommander, don't see how it can cause a problem unless your not computer literate. Plus the quickshift is sweet. Rides like an automatic.

"use whatever gas your manual recommends" ????? Seriously dude. thats your advice? Weird, never seen any motorcycle call for anything but super unleaded. Riding my bike into a garden is better advice than that. But thanks for having no clue and still replying. I see nobody that knows anything replied. Awesome.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Actually it ended up being the ground from the ignition module disconnected. Like I said the guy didn't know anything about bikes. He unplugged the battery I'm guessing and forgot that terminal. It runs amazing. I like the powercommander, don't see how it can cause a problem unless your not computer literate. Plus the quickshift is sweet. Rides like an automatic.

"use whatever gas your manual recommends" ????? Seriously dude. thats your advice? Weird, never seen any motorcycle call for anything but super unleaded. Riding my bike into a garden is better advice than that. But thanks for having no clue and still replying. I see nobody that knows anything replied. Awesome.
Most modern bike manuals recommend 87 octane (US measure, (R+N)/2) gas. No reason to use any higher.

A PC can mess up how a bike runs quite easily if it's not programmed exactly right or is malfunctioning.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Most modern bike manuals recommend 87 octane (US measure, (R+N)/2) gas. No reason to use any higher.

A PC can mess up how a bike runs quite easily if it's not programmed exactly right or is malfunctioning.
sportbikes with FI are typically 91+ now. I know mine is for sure.

but anyway, even the tune can play a big roll in all of it. I have a tune that makes my bike hard to take off from a stop because it has no throttle response up to a certain throttle opening. it sucks but man does it haul ass. my buddy runs the same tune in his 04R6 and doesn't have that issue.
one bike to the next even makes that much of a difference. which is why I am not a advocate of downloading a map. you're much better off having it dyno tuned. but then comes the problem finding a tuner that knows what they're doing and can get it right.
at least dyno jet has certifications so you can have a little bit of faith in a tuner.

I'm headed off to indy ducati in a few weeks to have mine done. they got my other buddy's 04 R6 to 109 with the same bolt on mods. started off with 101.
and all the racers around here take their bike there. I guess they know what they're doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts