Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am 18 and thinking on getting a motorcycle just to have fun with and puts around on with my friends who also have them. I am looking for a 250. And the bikes I'm looking at are.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

2014 Yamaha R25

My friend has the Honda 250. Being he is a huge honda sport bike fan. But me personally I like Yamaha. Always have since I was a little kid. And hearing Yamaha was gonna come out with a R25 got me excited to buy a bike. But they have not came out yet :(

So help me out here.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Considering the r25 is brand new, id wait a year until they get the kinks worked out. New models always have a few problems. Just find a ninja 250 on craigslist for 2500 and call it a day. Make sure you check insurance prices first, and plan on spending a few hundred bucks on gear. Less than a hundred for a helmet, same for gloves, and a hundred each on a jacket and boots. Closeout deals are your friend.

Also, your profile says you don't have a job. How are you going to pay for insurance, tires, sprockets, chain, gas, oil, etc? Do you have health insurance?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering the r25 is brand new, id wait a year until they get the kinks worked out. New models always have a few problems. Just find a ninja 250 on craigslist for 2500 and call it a day. Make sure you check insurance prices first, and plan on spending a few hundred bucks on gear. Less than a hundred for a helmet, same for gloves, and a hundred each on a jacket and boots. Closeout deals are your friend
Thanks man and you know how I can get a picture for my profile?

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Your best bet is to find a used Ninja 250 or CBR 250. Both can readily be found used, both are great beginner bikes, and both will hold their resale value, so you can expect to sell it for close to what you paid for it, assuming you don't wreck it or otherwise drastically change the condition it was in when you bought it.

Make sure to budget for good riding gear. Full gear includes full face helmet, armored jacket, armored gloves, riding pants, and boots.

To upload a picture (I assume you mean the avatar pick next to your screen name?), click on the "User CP" button and then click on "Edit Avatar" on the left side of the screen. Then either type in the URL for one off of the internet or upload your own. You'll have to resize to small picture size.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Have you taken the Basic Rider Course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation yet? If not, do that first, before buying a bike. Many places require such a course before you can get a motorcycle endorsement on your driving license, and it's a great idea to get some professional training even if it's not required.

The course might cost you a couple of hundred dollars, so you need to budget for that, too.

After the course, you will have a better idea about what you want for a first bike. You'll also meet an instructor or two who may be able to give you some advice and help you locate a suitable bike.

Reactions: carbon90

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, you definitely want a used Ninja 250R or CBR250R. You don't want the nasty depreciation you'll get hit with on a brand new bike - especially a beginner bike - the fees and taxes will eat you up quickly.

Get a used 250 for <$3000 and ride the wheels off of it for a few years. If you eventually want something b*****, you can sell it and not take much, if any, of a loss at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you taken the Basic Rider Course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation yet? If not, do that first, before buying a bike. Many places require such a course before you can get a motorcycle endorsement on your driving license, and it's a great idea to get some professional training even if it's not required.

The course might cost you a couple of hundred dollars, so you need to budget for that, too.

After the course, you will have a better idea about what you want for a first bike. You'll also meet an instructor or two who may be able to give you some advice and help you locate a suitable bike.
+1 on this. I'm taking it too before choosing my first bike.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Quoting myself from oder thread
A cheep bike like the ninja 250-500, buell blast, fz400, sportster 883 or a dzr.

Look a first bike is mostly a learning tool. You will drop it. You may crash it. You might not like riding at all. So why get you money tied up in a expensive bike?
Supersport and superbikes are race bikes at are on the street. When you first start driving you would never jump in a F1 car and hit the streets

·
Registered
729 Posts
I heartily endorse the Ninja 500 (aka EX 500). I'm 5'3" and it fit me fine. It's tame enough at low revs that it won't get away from a beginner, but it's plenty fast when you get the revs up.

0-60 mph is about 3.7 seconds, top speed between 125 and 130, so it's a real sport bike but it won't wheelie out from under you if you accidently twist the throttle too much. Put on a good set of tires (I liked Pirelli Sport Demons; go up one size in the rear) and a good set of sintered brake pads (the stock pads fade badly) and you'll have a bike that few riders can take to its limit in the twisties.

The 500 is a bike you can grow with for quite a while. It's also easy to work on, so if you know a wrench from a hammer you won't have to go back to the dealer when you need a valve adjustment.

They're out of production, but there are plenty of used ones around in the $2000 to $2500 range.

Reactions: mangosmoothie16
1 - 14 of 14 Posts