Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the process of installing my FAZR6 FE kit (Binary Jay 1, Fender Nothing!), I was putting the cover on my bike and I noticed the front right hand turn stalk (stock one) just came dangling loose from it's cable...

Night has already fallen on me, so I can't get a clear look at everything under there and I couldn't figure out how to pop it back into it's proper mount... can anybody give me some advice about how to mount that stupid thing up again?

I suppose I could take it to the stealership and tell them it came loose, and ask them to fix it seeing as how it's under warranty but I don't want to bother for something that is probably so infantile level easy (I hope) once you know the trick.

Thanks. :p

To make matters worse, I just got Fast Orange all over myself, and my washroom... popped the lid off a bit too enthusiastically and it splashed everywhere! Well, I guess I don't need to shower tonight... :cheers

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Its hard to explain but I'll try to do my best. There is a small peice of plastic that the tabs on the end of the turn signal stalk snap on to to hold it in place. This piece would probably have to have fallen out to have the entire turn signal be hanging loose. If you can find the peice spitting on the end of the turn signal stalk helps to push it back in.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The entire thing isn't hanging loose, it doesn't fit through the hole... there is a piece at the end of the stalk that resembles the backs of the rear stalks... but I just can't seem to find anything inside the fairing for it to snap it onto and looking at the other one didn't seem to give me any clues. :|

If I don't get it resolved, I'll take pics tomorrow after work and post them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

Number 18 is the plastic part I am talking about.

EDIT: Sorry I didnt understand the first post right. I guess I cant help you.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I'm pretty sure I have 18 still attached... I guess the million dollar question is, what does 18 attach to... ;)

Here's a hopefully clearer picture of the diagram.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Yep, I'm pretty sure I have 18 still attached... I guess the million dollar question is, what does 18 attach to... ;)

Here's a hopefully clearer picture of the diagram.

18 'snaps' into the rubber boot, just like it did on the back.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If 18 is still attached then you will have to take that out before you pop the front turn signal back into place. Then pop that part into place. (It is much easier with the fairing off)

·
Superbike Racer
72 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Duct tape.

At least you'll smell pretty.
Nah, Fencing wire is what you need! :lao

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Follow the links to high res pictures, as best I could take in the dark, of the front and back of the loose turn...

Picture 1

Picture 2

The problem is that I have part 18 (actually, part 9, no?), still attached to the stalk... but part 9 is loose and not attached to whatever it's supposed to be attached to, however it's supposed to be attached to it. I'm sure it would all become clear if I took the fairing off but I'm sure that is a bit of a pain, and would involve me having to take the signal that is attached correctly off to accomplish that anyway. How frustrating. ;)

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to say. looking at the pictures I would agree that seque00 has it right.

Ya it is part 9, you will also have to take the turn signal out to tighten that nut if it came lose and is causing that to happen.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it seems that theres nothing I can do about it short of taking the entire fairing off - which, I'm not sure of how to accomplish either? :)

Are we sure there is a nut holding it on in there, it doen't look like that's what it would be from the part diagram... also how are you supposed to remove the stalk to take the fairing off if it's a nut that is inside the fairing that needs to be removed... maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here.

Duct tape is starting to look like a great solution for the short term right about now... I need this bike to be in perfect condition for Saturday. :)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Take #18 out and pull the rubber stalk out of the faring, then re-insert. The stalk is not seated correctly to the faring. While you have it out, look through the stalk and tighten the nut that holds the plastic light housing to the rubber stalk. I think it takes an 8mm wrench.

You can tighten the nut, assuming you didn't lose it yet, going through the rubber stalk after #18 is untabbed and the assembly is pulled out of the faring. No need to dis-assemble the faring to do this.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The nut is not inside the fairing it is inside of the turn signal stalk. Taking off the inner fairing is pretty easy and would probably give you enough room to work in there.

To take the turn signal out of the fairing you take 9 off and unclip the wire and the whole thing will slide out with a little force. (poking the inside by were 9 was helps get it out of the faring)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm wondreing if we're still thinking that there is a different problem than what I'm having.

The light housing is OK, it's attached to the stalk fine... all of assembly 5, is currently attached to part 9 ... but all of assembly 5 including part 9, is loose from the fairing... on the left hand side, part 9 seems to be jammed somewhere between the inner and outer sides of the fairing and fixed there somehow, unmoving... on my right hand side, the entire stalk is loose, including part 9 which is shifting freely when I move around the stalk, and I can't figure out how part 9 is fixed to the fairing at all.

So, as FZSilver says, you take 9 off and unclip the wire and the whole thing will slide out... so assuming you've taken 9 off, how does 9 go back on again?

I'm sorry for all of the confusion, you guys have been great responding to this so quickly and thoroughly. It's late, and I apologize if it's me that's a bit tired and flustered and not making much sense.

I will try all of the suggestions tomorrow afternoon after work (it's going to be a long day!) while I'm going to receive my TCP painted blue hugger/chainguard tomorrow to install as well, and I'm due to receive my Yamaha Chin Fairing the day after. A fun filled week of tinkering, no doubt.

By the way, I think I've finally wrapped my head around it thanks to all of your help - I hope... it's been a trying day, thank you everyone for being so patient, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
ok, remove the assembly as you did when you installed the FE kit in the rear.

It's the same exact thing. Only this is attached to the faring and not on the fender. Then tighten the nut that holds the housing onto the stalk which is accessible through the stalk when #9 and/or #18 is untabbed.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I'm wondreing if we're still thinking that there is a different problem than what I'm having.

, and I can't figure out how part 9 is fixed to the fairing at all.

So, as FZSilver says, you take 9 off and unclip the wire and the whole thing will slide out... so assuming you've taken 9 off, how does 9 go back on again?

9 does not have anything to do with being fiexed into the faring, it is like and extra stop to make sure that the turn signal does not fall out of the fairing. It just slides into the turn signal were the 2 tabs are.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I went back out and shone the cars headlights onto the bike - I couldn't wait until tomorrow to try something ... blah, I can't seem to figure it out still.

I understand that #9 doesn't attach anything to the fairing now, so I'm really confused as to what holds the turn signals to the fairing. I took #9 off, and saw the bolt pretty far inside the stalk but there was nothing loose with the stalk and I couldn't figure out what the nut and bolt there had to do with holding anything to the fairing.

Unlike the rear fenders which had a large rubber piece which had to be squeezed through the opening, which then holds the signals in place, I don't see anything like that on the front turns...

So, when you tighten the NUT, what happens to P1 and P2, what does tightening the nut do to fix the whole thing to the fairing? Does tightening the nut bring P1 and P2 closer together and I have to sandwich P1 and P2 between the fairing? That nut is really far inside the stalk... I hope I have a socket long enough to go in there. :)

Tightening the nut does not fix my problem... loosening it does loosen the light fixture from the stalk, but I loosened and tightened it and it didn't do anything constructive as far as fixing the stalk to the fairing. Is something broken here, maybe?

Sheesh, I think this is hopeless for tonight, as my brain clearly is not working. :beer

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Patience is a virtue. Now I have a questions.

1) Is the stalk (rubber part) attached tightly onto the plastic light housing?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts