Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a bike for a friend of mine and have stumbled across a ton of Yamaha YZF R1's on ebay. All the ones I looked at were all 2004's, all in awesome condition and all were very inexpensive. I mean REALLY CHEAP! One had a buy it now price of $3,000.00, one had a buy it now price of $3,5000.00. On one the auction ended in 2 days. They guy said he has 21K into the bike w/ receipts to prove it, it was a no reserve auction and was currently at $23.00. One of them was completely chrome.... I mean EVERYTHING on the bike was chrome and he had a buy it now price of $3,500.00....... what is the deal?! Could all of these be scams?

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
they are probably scams
R1 are faddish with some of the bike crowd and very faddish with the newer crowd

First one is in Belgim, the Second isin Canadia, the third looks like it may be legit but uncontrolled paymetn method, email them and see if you can see the bike in person prior to the purchase and see what he says

·
Registered
155 Posts
They're all scams, cheap price, pre approved bidders only, and the contact email in the auction description all scream hijacked ebay account. Don't waste your time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Long story short... if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
ya they all seem to be scams but i would investigate the 23.00 r1 and if its legit bid 24 hell make it out of reach and bid a 100 lol

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
QWIK1 said:
Looks like the second URL already got pulled. :lol

Anyway, if you were close to one of those auctions, like the one in New York or California, I'd call them out and try to email them and talk to them. See if you can dig up some dirt and see if you can catch them in a fib. Chances are that you prob. will though. :dunno

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Okay. Quit wasting our time and read the other ten million scam threads. This shit isn't legit, sorry.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BurnMyHeartDown said:
Okay. Quit wasting our time and read the other ten million scam threads. This shit isn't legit, sorry.

HA.... I emailed several of them, all different sellers and wouldn't you know the same response was sent back only with a different country for each..... LOL

"Hello there,
I am glad to see that so many persons are interested in buying my bike .I am based in Athens,Greece and I have the bike here with me.The bike belonged to my brother. He died two weeks ago in a car accident,and now I have no use for it. I am willing to sell it for $2,800 and pay for shipping/insurance/handling if bought for the BUY IT NOW price ($2,800).
This is an expensive deal for me so I want to be covered and I think you want this too. I want to end this deal through Square Trade - it is recommended by eBay and it's a third party service
similar to escrow.com - they hold the funds until you receive the item. If you want to continue , please email your full name and address for shipping purposes so we can get on with it .
I am looking forward to hearing from you and to completing this deal.
Thank you! "

----- oh yeah and by the way BurnMyHeartDown...... chill out brother, :nutkick lol...

·
Registered
282 Posts
They are probabably all scams. I did some checking on a bunch like this a few months ago. They all had similar replies, all out of the country even though they were listed in the country, all wanted to use ebay square trade as an escrow service (which they are not), and all of them had some story about how they just moved to where the bike is now located and didn't want to pay to get it converted to the new country laws. I think during my search I found about 10 bikes. Every time I asked a question or asked to see the bike they would come back with the same generic email.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can't believe this guy is still using the same story...I saw this one several months ago. Is he still using the Orange completely decked out R1?

QWIK1 said:
HA.... I emailed several of them, all different sellers and wouldn't you know the same response was sent back only with a different country for each..... LOL

"Hello there,
I am glad to see that so many persons are interested in buying my bike .I am based in Athens,Greece and I have the bike here with me.The bike belonged to my brother. He died two weeks ago in a car accident,and now I have no use for it. I am willing to sell it for $2,800 and pay for shipping/insurance/handling if bought for the BUY IT NOW price ($2,800).
This is an expensive deal for me so I want to be covered and I think you want this too. I want to end this deal through Square Trade - it is recommended by eBay and it's a third party service
similar to escrow.com - they hold the funds until you receive the item. If you want to continue , please email your full name and address for shipping purposes so we can get on with it .
Thank you! "

----- oh yeah and by the way BurnMyHeartDown...... chill out brother, :nutkick lol...

·
Registered
65 Posts
QWIK1 said:

"Hello there,
Thank you!"
Yep. I got almost this exact email for a '04 600RR on cyclemoster.com. Only the address the guy used in the ad was like 2mi from my house. So I went to the address to see the bike and guess what??? No bike, never had a bike, had no idea what I was talking about. Total scam. :pisson

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
QWIK1 said:

"Hello there,
Thank you! "
That's f'ed up. I would pour some gasoline on that fire though. Tell them that you have a business trip planned for next week and that you'll be in the area. Ask for a time to see it, a test drive, quesitons about mods specific to R1s, previous owner's experience, etc.

That would be great seeing the response you get from that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts