Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im looking at getting a pistol for just shooting around at the range. Right now im looking at either a Walther P22 or a Kimber conversion. Anyone with any insight on either of these, or any .22 they recommend.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Having shot a P22, I'd have to vote against it..... junk in my opinion.

I have a Ruger P4B which is the 22/45 with the 4" Bull Barrel. Great for plinking, and relativly compact compared to some of the true 'target' guns. I shoot cheap brick ammo from Walmart through it all day with very few problems. Any problem I have it always an ammo issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i was looking at the MK II also. i like the rugers and i hear about how great they shoot, but i love the look of the "tactical" p22.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
I'v shot a P22 and own it's b***** brother the P99. The P22 was a damned fine pistol.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
MK II or my fave a Stoger Luger, its a luger rep in 22lr and a very reliable piece. Holds 13 rounds and is a absolutly great pistol. Its one of the few legal luger copys they have permission to use the luger design. once very cheap now pricey. I got mine 20 yrs ago for $50 now there about 300 - 400 Love that lil gun Ive shot literly thousands upon thousands of rounds from it and its a awesome lil gun.

I like the ruger 22lr rifle better simply because there are so many kick ass mods for it, I got mine modded into a short barrel pistol full auto with a 100 round drun clip it kicks ass..... its such a blast to shoot!!! Smokin barrel extreme! and all at less that $250 heheh years back tho

·
Banned
912 Posts
Go with the Kimber convertion that way you have to guns that feel the same. This helps with your muscle memory!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Kimber conversion for my Classic, and I also have one of the Ruger 22/45. I like both of them very much. the conversion is picky about ammo, but if you use the stuff recommended in the manual that comes with it, it shoots incredibly and without malfunction. The Ruger also shoots awesome, and will eat just about anything you put in it. If you want to buy a whole separate gun, go with the Ruger. I've shot Berettas, Colts, etc and they are all nice firearms, but I am partial to rugers. If you already have a bunch of holsters and whatnot for your .45, then you might want to think about the conversion, as all of that stuff will still work. Whichever way you go, whether it be the walther, the conversion, or some other brand, its just all personal preference. Personally, the walther didn't fit my hand very well. You should just go and hold all of them and if possible shoot them as well to see which ones you personally like the best. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Browning Buck Mark. Looks good.. feels good.. dispatches evil pop cans at 50 yds. without a second thought!
(And, of course, you can shoot it all day for less than the price of one box of .40 S&W!)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ruger .22 pistols are great. The bull barrel models are very nice. The design has been around for 50+ years now. Good guns. Cheap and will last forever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe i'll pick up a new p22, and try and find a cheap used ruger. i just like the look of the walther too much, to just get a mark II or something like that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've shot both the Ruger MkII and the P22. The MkII is accuarate, barrel heavy (bull barrel), and fun. The P22 looks the part, but I would only own one with a suppressor. To clear it up I think there is nothing tactical about a P22.

Accuracy is opinion based. The P22 is plenty accurate enough for most poeple. I have no trouble shooting 4 inch circles at 25 yards with it. The MkII is more precise than that, maybe 2 inch circles at 25 yards. For all around I would take the Ruger, but I want a suppressed P22 as well :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, the looks of the p22 are just stunning imo for a .22. the only thing about a supressor is i cant have one, as im from NJ.

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
move over to PA so you can buy one. the process to get a suppressor is long, but not too awefully painful.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just bought a Walther P22 with a 4" barrel about a month ago. Great little target gun!! Accurate and fast shooting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cookhj said:
move over to PA so you can buy one. the process to get a suppressor is long, but not too awefully painful.
im not gonna move just so i can get one

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
neutom72 said:
I just bought a Walther P22 with a 4" barrel about a month ago. Great little target gun!! Accurate and fast shooting.
do you mind me asking how much you got it for? any other comments about the gun? how many rounds have you put through it?

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
if there's a Galyan's near you, they usually have the cheapest guns, and they will lower it if you find it somewhere cheaper. i know the one here in richmond has the P22's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts