Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so since I have an obsessive personality I figured I needed some kind of outlet / feedback about this or I'll just go round in circles.

This is kind of just playing around, but it's kind of not. I am assuming / hoping that I get made full time at work this year, which would mean I'd have enough money to buy a new car, house, all the good stuff one wants in life.

The car is a little daunting since there are so many options. In this scenario I could probably afford up to 30K, but I am also happy with spending 18-20 and putting rims, body kit, a system, some performance stuff, etc etc in it.

I have a little pickup truck so storage / cargo room isn't a big deal in the car. I'm also not sure whether I want something that IS quick (in mid-low range car terms, not bike quick) or just something that looks pretty nice.

Some ideas I have:

Eclipse GT

Scion tC (something similar to this)

VW Jetta

Lancer Raliart

Dodge Challenger

Of course I'm open to suggestions and comments! I would consider something that's used as well if that would work better.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another car I like is the Impreza WRX STi, but only a used one would be within my price range.

Gas mileage is somewhat important... I mean, my truck gets like 17mpg so, anything more than that is an improvement!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Is performance important to you? Want something cheap and practical? Or do you want something that is more attractive to the eye?

IMO, I would NEVER buy a Mitsushitty (Specially a NA one), nor a Jetta.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You sound like you're bit of a ricer... or atleast wanna customize ur ride... what about the Scion xB. You can customize the shit out of it and it has the interior room of an SUV. Was thinking of getting one when i have a kid. (trade in my 03TiburonGT) Took one for a test drive. the ride pretty nice too... and they are cheap enough that you can do some stuff to em... sounds system etc... you can have the lowered stock, so it's all under warrenty :D

oh yeah and MPG is okay too

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is performance important to you? Want something cheap and practical? Or do you want something that is more attractive to the eye?

IMO, I would NEVER buy a Mitsushitty (Specially a NA one), nor a Jetta.
Performance is important to a degree... What I'm driving now is SLOW AS DIRT and I hate it. It obviously doesn't have to be as fast as a bike bike but I want to have some damn UMPH when I put the gas pedal down haha. But, if it turns out that the performance I want isn't very easily attainable I think I could live with something that wasn't super fast, but that perhaps made up for with some style / finishing touches to really make me feel like it's MY car.

Essentially, my vehicle is an important part of who I am (if I can afford it to be).

You would never buy a Mitsu or a Jetta.... but why? Some reasoning might help me along.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sound like you're bit of a ricer... or atleast wanna customize ur ride... what about the Scion xB. You can customize the shit out of it and it has the interior room of an SUV. Was thinking of getting one when i have a kid. (trade in my 03TiburonGT) Took one for a test drive. the ride pretty nice too... and they are cheap enough that you can do some stuff to em... sounds system etc... you can have the lowered stock, so it's all under warrenty :D

oh yeah and MPG is okay too
A bit of a ricer... I mean... my first car was a 94' Thunderbird and I LOVED that thing. I think there are some stylish aspects to the tC specifically, and that Eclipse is pretty hot. If I could afford a real muscle car that's probably would I would do though... put money into it and make it a beast. But if I have to go cheaper, I like what imports have to offer visually.

Fuck that xB, it's HIDEOUS!!! I do NOT want a truck or an SUV!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Well, I gues you have a F4i so most vehicles will feel slow after coming from a 600 unless we're talking modded or supercar.

I would pick a Fit, something cheap, reliable, very customizable, and gets great MPG. If you want a little more ummmmph get a used WRX, they can be had for under 20k and with some little mods can be a peppy car and still be fairly reliable and get decent MPG (as long as you keep out of boost).

I'm kinda out of the loop now in prices, but how about a used TSX? A very nice car for a daily driver. Maybe could be had in the low 20's.

Mitsushitty, VW = reliability nightmares...

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I gues you have a F4i so most vehicles will feel slow after coming from a 600 unless we're talking modded or supercar.

I would pick a Fit, something cheap, reliable, very customizable, and gets great MPG. If you want a little more ummmmph get a used WRX, they can be had for under 20k and with some little mods can be a peppy car and still be fairly reliable and get decent MPG (as long as you keep out of boost).

I'm kinda out of the loop now in prices, but how about a used TSX? A very nice car for a daily driver. Maybe could be had in the low 20's.

Mitsushitty, VW = reliability nightmares...
I actually don't have that F4i anymore... haven't had a bike for some time now. Eventually I will get a new one of those as well, but the car takes priority.

TSX.... I had forgotten about Acuras. I also like the RSX Type S. As I'm looking at the images of the TSX, it's just not doing it for me visually... Good suggestion though.

I will look at the specs on the Fit, doesn't seem like too bad looking of a car though.

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
Out of the cars posted, basically only the Scion and WRX would be worth a shit quality/reliability-wise. The Scion would be great for a fun but efficient commuter. The WRX would be also fairly efficient, with a good degree of performance behind it and the AWD would be a plus in shitty weather. One thing you definitely wanna watch out for (and check over if you buy a used one) is the tranny: WRX's have notoriously weak transmissions.

The Mitsubishis you've posted are both too heavy for their own good, and Mitsu in general have always been cheap, problematic cars (very un-Japanese quality). The VW would be efficient, but they're notorious for electrical problems, and also exhibit poor quality over time for a German vehicle (and you'll also be paying the high price for German parts). The Challenger, based off the 300's LX platform, is an overweight pig, and therefore its power numbers don't come close to matching the performance numbers put to the asphalt, and it's also an extremely thirsty car, whichever V8 you choose. The V6 model, well, just stab yourself in the eye with a fork if you've even considered that thing worth any of your hard-earned money.

Good luck.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

0-60 5.7s
1/4 mile in 13.8
.9g skidpad
30-32mpg
2.0L Turbo (260hp/260tq)
100k warranty
4 caliper Brembo brakes

$23-24k

Oh, and they are having a red tag event, so you can probly get a great deal.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Eclipse: Looks a lot better than it drives. Heavy and underpowered.

Scion tC: Don't even think about it unless you're under 5'9". No headroom at all, uninspiring engine.

Jetta: Doesn't do anything for me. I think the Audi A3 is a lot more interesting.

Lancer Ralliart: Probably my favorite on this list. Good value, good performance, good platform if you want to tweak it into something more. Downside: Mitsu reliability and resale.

Dodge Challenger: Best looking car here. Expensive, poor fuel economy, poor reliability, real questions about long-term support. (I give Chrysler less than 50/50 odds of being in business one year from now.)

I've read some very good things about the 2010 Mustang, you might want to put that on your list.

I'd also wait and see how the new Mazdaspeed 3 looks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A bit of a ricer... I mean... my first car was a 94' Thunderbird and I LOVED that thing. I think there are some stylish aspects to the tC specifically, and that Eclipse is pretty hot. If I could afford a real muscle car that's probably would I would do though... put money into it and make it a beast. But if I have to go cheaper, I like what imports have to offer visually.

Fuck that xB, it's HIDEOUS!!! I do NOT want a truck or an SUV!!

:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor:neener

okay then, all i have to say is...

here efficent, fast as fuck and ... well... it's a fuck your couch car :grinbounc :eatpop

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Man, I knew posting on here would be helpful :)

The Honda Fit is a cool looking little car, and it's relatively cheap, only problem being I'm guessing it's pretty damn slow. Which... if I decide that I would rather save money, I can deal with something that's kinda slow but looks nice.

As far as the Scion goes, I am 5'11 and would probably have to test drive one to see what I thought of it. More than likely none of this will happen for some-odd months.

Mmmm I'm liking that Cobalt. My wife and I had rented one down in Miami last year and she said it was really slow (I couldn't drive it cause I'm not 25) which was why I didn't really think about it any more. 260 ponies though doesn't sound too bad :)

Oh yeah, and I forgot about the RX8, I think that's a pretty neat little car.

aaaaaaand

I like pictures :)

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor:neener

okay then, all i have to say is...

here efficent, fast as fuck and ... well... it's a fuck your couch car :grinbounc :eatpop
Oh, the Tesla Roaster? Yeah I'm going to get that car when I have a hundred grand laying around hahahahaha. I actually REALLY want that car... it's fucking hot!!!! I've wanted it for a long time.

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
If we're mentioning cars Spike hasn't listed, I'd have to agree with Shamrock on the Cobalt SS. If you're wanting room, this year they've included the sedan in turbo SS lineup. The car is cheap (although the interior is, too, but hey, we all don't drive a Bentley), and it has a proven chassis. Great (I mean GREAT) handling for a FWD car, quick, fast (155 MPH limited), great on gas (out of the boost) and nothing about screams "HEY LOOK AT ME!!", at least not until you tack on body shit (if that's your thing).

Speaking of which, there are TONS of aftermarket parts for this car. The only thing is, if you buy it new, or new enough that there's plenty of warranty left, you might not want to add custom parts as it'll void most warranties for the car. If you buy new and get factory upgrades to keep the warranties, you'll also pay out the ass for those mods or "performance packages", and they're also usually a bit mild compared to what you can get from the aftermarket.

Lastly, it isn't just the opinion between Optimus and I that Mitsu is junk and VW isn't much better: anyone who's had any experience with them understands this. Even the media has no problem admitting this (although they'll never say it about the company when speaking about a newly released model). Any owners/fans believing otherwise, are either in deep denial, or luckily have that needle in the haystack that hasn't given many problems yet.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Your wife drove the simple plain jane LS, has 145hp/155tq. That's what I have, but my next car (if I can help it) WILL be the TC

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have something against "performance-oriented" FWD cars...

RX8 is a nice car, but it's performance is lacking.

Yes, the Fit is slow, but well it's cheap, very reliable and practical as a daily driver. Performance can be had again when you buy a new bike :)

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
Oh yeah, and I forgot about the RX8, I think that's a pretty neat little car.
Having a performance bike with no torque is one thing, but when you have to deal with that in a car, it kinda ruins it. Plan on keeping the revs in the clouds if you want any UMPH outta this car. It's also horrible on gas, and the first few years had oil issues.

The rotary is still a good idea, but there's yet to be any great execution. The Renesis is no better than the Wankel IMO.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts