Votes: 1 20.0%
  • tl1000s

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm finally in a position where I can buy either one, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one. Both have been realistic dream bikes for me since they came out. On one side, you have the YZF750. I had the 600 version of this bike and loved it, but wanted just a little more than what it could do. The 750 has this and then some. Next there is the "widow maker" TL1000s naked version. V-twin, great sound, nice torque.
I would mostly be riding for fun on the street, but would also love to do some track days. Has anyone here ridden both that can give me some perspective?

Thanks,
Dean
Soon to be returning rider

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I've only owned a TLS. Amazingly fun bike with the BEST sound, assuming it has Yoshimura exhaust. I'd love to own one again. I was checking them out on Craigslist just last week.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Twins are better on the street; fours are better on the track. So it depends on your priorities.

PhilB

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'd go with the TL just because the twin it's such a great motor, everyone should try one at least once.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the TL.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
If you were a track nut, you'd know what you wanted, so I ay the TL.
Also, the TL sounds badass, probably with any exhaust.
Also, you own the same but want a little more kick...I dont think 150cc's is enough of a change. Variety is the spice of life.

i normally love yamahas but the TL is the TL.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I rode a YZF750 once

it was less comfortable than the R6 I rode, if that was possible. everything felt entirely wrong. at first it feels like you need to get low, but the tank comes up sharply and interferes with that (note: I am all arms and legs, maybe that's my issue). If you try to straighten out, your legs feel as though they are being folded in two. . . or three. the clipons are so low feeling (no idea if they actually are) that your arms are straightened out as you try to somehow lean forward without running into tank clearance issues. . .

it just all felt wrong to me.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
I rode a YZF750 once

it was less comfortable than the R6 I rode, if that was possible. everything felt entirely wrong. at first it feels like you need to get low, but the tank comes up sharply and interferes with that (note: I am all arms and legs, maybe that's my issue). If you try to straighten out, your legs feel as though they are being folded in two. . . or three. the clipons are so low feeling (no idea if they actually are) that your arms are straightened out as you try to somehow lean forward without running into tank clearance issues. . .

it just all felt wrong to me.
It's definitely you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm with the other guys (get a twin) except for one thing - anything but the TLs. It has a weird rear suspension that doesn't work well and has a problem with pushing the front end (runs wide). A Honda RC51, Superhawk, or Suzuki SV1000 would all be better choices.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There is no way in hell the sv1000 has a better stock suspension than the TL. And the suspension can be sorted, I'd be more worried about the motor. I have heard great things about the super hawk tho

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm with the other guys (get a twin) except for one thing - anything but the TLs. It has a weird rear suspension that doesn't work well and has a problem with pushing the front end (runs wide). A Honda RC51, Superhawk, or Suzuki SV1000 would all be better choices.
I'd agree here, you should be able to find a first generation Tuono for about the same money, that should be a much better bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the comments guys. I did go with the TL. All of the details just worked out better. This one comes with the aftermarket Bitubo rear shock and plenty of other goodies too at a price that I couldn't pass up. Will be on the road soon.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
There is no way in hell the sv1000 has a better stock suspension than the TL. And the suspension can be sorted, I'd be more worried about the motor. I have heard great things about the super hawk tho
The TLR's stock suspension was horrid, it squatted like a motherfucker and cause the bike to run wide in what should have been easy corners, there are a number of kits to get rid of the rotary...thing, and put a normal shock mount on it to correct the situation.

But I've seen the techs at bike shops refuse to ride them because they were "to dangerous".

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Am I out of the loop, or has the only 750cc sport bike by Yamaha been called an R7? Didn't know there was such a thing as a YZF 750..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts