Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my ZX10R. It was a very sad day...but I'm getting married and so I need something that is going to be cheaper to insure. I've narrowed it down to a couple of things and I'll explain why.

2004 FZ1 lightly modded.

2006 ZX6R 636 bone stock

I can insure the FZ1 with full coverage for about $800/year. I can insure the 636 with everything except collision for about $1000/year.

Here are my thoughts:

FZ1

Liter power
cheaper insurance even w/collision

Prettier (to me)
Better MPG
More nimble/flickable
I imagine it would be a lot more fun in the twisties than the FZ1.

So which would you go for? My woman will want to ride with me on occasion, but more often than not, I'll probably be solo. I daily rode my ZX10 for six months and so I'm not worried about daily riding a 636. I much prefer the more aggressive position to a laid back one....but even though the 636 is by no means slow, I'm worried that I might miss that wonderful, instant, in-your-face liter bike power.

Thoughts?

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
you are already leaning towards the 636 so get it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is just a thought.

What if you get a liter bike that you like, and just put liability insurance on it. At least you are insured for the other driver.

Plus with insurance you already have a deductible. Maybe get liability and set your deductible low?

This is just a thought.

Can't be the looks of a ninja 636 though. Haha

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes, you seem to be steering towards the 636 already.

Get the bike that you will enjoy riding more; that's not necessarily the most practical/comfortable/fast. You need to decide which one that will be.

If the naked FZ1 was available over there, I'd say that one; I test rode one of these a couple years ago and loved it, plus it looks nice:

But I've never quite liked the half faired version, looks-wise.

·
Registered
869 Posts
On second thought, if 200 bucks a year difference is a minus for the 636, I'd say the superior mpg and smaller displacement of the Kawasaki may also be important factors over the Yamaha. The FZ1 might be slightly tamer than an R1, but it WILL eat tires and fuel like there's no tomorrow. Those 200 bucks might not mean much at the end of your season.

nico

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Yes, you seem to be steering towards the 636 already.

Get the bike that you will enjoy riding more; that's not necessarily the most practical/comfortable/fast. You need to decide which one that will be.

If the naked FZ1 was available over there, I'd say that one; I test rode one of these a couple years ago and loved it, plus it looks nice:

But I've never quite liked the half faired version, looks-wise.
The new line of FZs looks like that now (they have the fz8 and fz1 both looking kinda like that now).

Personally, I'd pick the FZ for the street, but I much prefer the comfier ergos on the street. And I have an 636 for the track. The FZ will have more instant power as the 636 doesn't have power until about 8500 RPMs, however, then it is a rocketship!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
OP, I cant help you with your decision, I think its interesting your handle is yamirider, you own(owned) a Kawi, and have a Suzuki in your avi.:)

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
It's hard to imagine you're going to save that much money doing this. I'd think you could shop around for an insurance company that doesn't penalize the liter bike so heavily.

But anyway, if you like twins, a mid-size twin would be one way to retain that instant-torque capability you say you want. One of the 650s, or maybe an SV1000S or one of the older sporting twins (RC51/TL/SuperHawk)?

KeS

·
Registered
357 Posts
IMO if your soon-to-be wife will be riding with you then a 1000cc machine like the FZ1 is best. Keep in mind that it can be a terrifying proposition to ride on the back of a powerful motorcycle (check some YouTube highway wheelies). Consider the Triumph Speed Triple for a strong torquey fun bike.

·
AS LONG AS YOU RIDE
48 Posts
2004 FZ1 lightly modded. 2006 ZX6R 636 bone stock

FZ1

Liter power
cheaper insurance even w/collision

Prettier (to me)
Better MPG
More nimble/flickable
I imagine it would be a lot more fun in the twisties than the FZ1.

My woman will want to ride with me on occasion, but more often than not, I'll probably be solo. I much prefer the more aggressive position to a laid back one....
Well, I think you know what you really want, don't you? :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Who in their right mind does a wheelie on the highway with a passenger? Well idiots of course!

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
You're 22 years old and you're getting married?

WHY?

Did you get him, sorry her pregno?

:eek:nfloor

FZ1.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
You're 22 years old and you're getting married?

WHY?

Did you get him, sorry her pregno?

:eek:nfloor

FZ1.
In his defense, my 20 year old friend just proposed to his girlfriend and will be getting married (I'm the best man, woot!). But I think that it is a good decision on his part.

However, I think this is the exception, not the rule.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No I didn't get her pregnant. I love her and I want to be with her, and so I don't really see the point in waiting. Besides, she is in law school and has already promised me a bike once she passes the bar and gets a decent job. :D

Anyways, to respond to some of the replies: yes insurance is that bad for any 1000. I've called and done lots of online quotes. Any SS1000 is a nightmare. FZ1s of a similar year are like less than half of what an R1 costs to insure. I'd sorta like the FZ1 for improved ability to take my woman...but it's not like she is a big girl. She only weighs 90 pounds and I'm 175...but of course more CCs and torque would be better. It is hard to find a decent 06 or 07 FZ1 in my lprice range though :/.

I don't know how much of an issue tires would be. On my ZX10 I put 6k miles on my rear tire and still had at least another 3-4k left in it...i imagine the FZ1 would only be easier on them since it has like 20-30hp less than the 10.

Also I really don't want a twin cylinder. I love the way a four cylinder pulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Anyways, to respond to some of the replies: yes insurance is that bad for any 1000. I've called and done lots of online quotes. Any SS1000 is a nightmare. FZ1s of a similar year are like less than half of what an R1 costs to insure.
Well, which is it? Both those statements cannot be true.

Some insurance companies go by CC, and some go by classes of bikes, and some go by both.

KeS

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
LOL IF! She gets a job after law school. Not meaning to be debbie downer, but let's face facts. The current market for law school graduates is absolutely atrocious. Unless you have connections, graduate from a top 14 law school, or graduate top 5% of your class its pretty difficult. Good luck to her though!

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I meant to say that insurance is that bad for any SS1000. The Z1000 isn't as bad and the 919 isn't too bad either, but I really don't care for those.

My dad and uncle started a law firm about 25 years ago that has been pretty successful. They have good relationships with numerous other law firms in the city....so I'm not worried about her ability to find a job. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
213 Posts
How much will she owe in student loans when she graduates? Texas is a community property state, so that debt becomes your debt.

edited to see you're in Alabama, not Texas. So never mind!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts