Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've been a long-time lurker on the SBN site, and I finally decided to stop BS'ing and get a bike!

So here's the deal - I took the MSF back in May, and had a blast! Graduating from school took precedence and I had to wait to get a bike. But now, I am finished with school and shopping for a bike. I've been riding a friend's CBR 600f3 sporadiacally, but I need to get my own bike! (He's getting sick of me stealing his bike every time he comes over!)

I know some of you won't approve of my bike choices, but these are the best deals I found for the money in my area. I guess I'll have to endure some flames... :twofinger

Bike 1: 2003 SV650S - 11K miles - been dropped once, lowspeed - $3500
Bike 2: 1997 YZF600 - 7.3K miles - never dropped, rarely ridden - $3500

I already talked with both owners, the YZF owner seems to be more on top of maintenance, sounds more experienced, but damn that SV sounds sexy! (not the owner!)

I'm meeting with the SV owner at lunchtime tomorrow, and the YZF owner after work. Then I'm going to get a full set of gear and start riding!
SO.... whadda ya think? Pros.... Cons... ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
They're both great bikes and you really couldn't go wrong with either one of them. I will say that I have never, and I mean never, heard of anyone being disappointed with their sv650. Good luck!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
SV650, because when you get serious into riding you can turn it into a very potent track machine.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I have to agree and would go with the sv also.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

I went to see the guy about the SV at lunchtime - it looks like it's in great shape, just one minor thing from his parking-lot drop. The shift lever is bent. It's still ridable, but I would like to fix it if I get the bike. That's not too much of a fix, right? It looks like I could just bend it back with some pliers.

He's balking at the price however, seems he wanted to get 4000 for it. So it looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend and hopefully he doesn't get a better offer. Should I offer him a little bit more or just wait it out?

I still havent seen the YZF - that's at 6:30 tonight.

Oh and I forgot to add - thanks for the kind advice guys!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
fyi, i disgree w/V as a great starter bike. i think its a marginal beginner bike. and i have 1. also www.beginnerbikes.com agrees w/ me

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good news about the sv man. The shift lever is no big deal so I wouldnt worry to much about it. Stay firm and stick with your price, I bet in the end he will see it your way. Also, dont pay any attention to racerx, the guy is a clown on this board. Half the squids on this board could prob walk him on the track.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Smoke2k said:
Good news about the sv man. The shift lever is no big deal so I wouldnt worry to much about it. Stay firm and stick with your price, I bet in the end he will see it your way. Also, dont pay any attention to racerx, the guy is a clown on this board. Half the squids on this board could prob walk him on the track.
Hello, I'm in complete agreement with RacerX(I've been riding 20 yrs and he's a MSF instructor).....c'mon tough guy, call me a clown.

BTW, them squids you speak so highly of would only WALK him around a track if they were on foot(Ed's kinda short).

We've both been here for 4 years and have seen the results of 'just agreeing w/ noobies wanting too much bike'. It never goes WELL.

·
Registered
80 Posts
4000 for a sv that been drpooed that bad if it has shift lever has been dropped it should be 3500... been into sv's b4 and been looking at pplz prices... ppl usually wants 4gs if its a 2001- 2003 and in pritty good condition

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Smoke2k said:
Also, dont pay any attention to racerx, the guy is a clown on this board. Half the squids on this board could prob walk him on the track.
and you are who? do you even own a bike? and if so your experience is ? :fot

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RACER X and taziscool - I respect your opinions, trust me I do, but every Ninja 500 I look at, they want more than people do for 600SS bikes! Maybe peoples prices are out of whack?

But the bottom line is, I'm buying this bike for me, and I feel like the SV is a good compromise between a bike I want and a bike I can handle. Plus there's no expensive lower fairings to replace, and I love the sound and feel of that V-Twin! I sat on it and it just felt right. I am a noob, so what do I know, but I think proper gear and enough practice can keep me in one piece. By the way, thanks for not flaming me to death.

I'm still waiting on the guy's response, gonna call him tonight and press the issue. The YZF guy never called back, so I'm guessing he sold it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here you go.....Phoenix, AZ $1,100.00
1991 KAWASAKI, EX500, twin cam, 8 valve, 9714 mi, $1100, 602-433-7560, 602-696-3312,… More Details & Photos Date Placed:
25-AUG-04
Call it, it's a fricken steal if it looks/runs great.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Mizatt said:
RACER X and taziscool - I respect your opinions, trust me I do, but every Ninja 500 I look at, they want more than people do for 600SS bikes! Maybe peoples prices are out of whack?
But the bottom line is, I'm buying this bike for me, and I feel like the SV is a good compromise between a bike I want and a bike I can handle. Plus there's no expensive lower fairings to replace, and I love the sound and feel of that V-Twin! I sat on it and it just felt right. I am a noob, so what do I know, but I think proper gear and enough practice can keep me in one piece. By the way, thanks for not flaming me to death.

I'm still waiting on the guy's response, gonna call him tonight and press the issue. The YZF guy never called back, so I'm guessing he sold it.

Racerx and Taz are right on the money. Most times new riders let their ego run the show...not good. And for anyone who questions their advice, you need to step back, take a SERIOUS look in the mirror and ask if you're really better. Four years ago they both helped me make the right decision about a first bike and I'm a better, still alive rider for it. The MSF doesn't just take anybody as an instructor, you have to prove you're worthy. Remember, your not born with wisdom, you gain it through practice, experience, instruction, and time.

Let me pose this question to you. Is your life worth less than the 500-1000 bucks you'll save buying a 600? Are you going to bet your future and wellbeing on a compromise in bikes? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I started on a 1990 ex500 and rode the shit out of that thing for a year and 10,000 miles. I wan't about to let my ego get me in over my head. I learned a lot by riding that bike and am now a much better rider for it.

Before you make a decision that we've seen cost so many new riders their lives...give it some thought. I don't mean think about how nice the 600/650 is, think about what it would be like to die. Or even worse, end up being a paralyzed or seriously injured because you let your ego and wallet decide your fate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
taziscool said:
Hello, I'm in complete agreement with RacerX(I've been riding 20 yrs and he's a MSF instructor).....c'mon tough guy, call me a clown.

BTW, them squids you speak so highly of would only WALK him around a track if they were on foot(Ed's kinda short).

We've both been here for 4 years and have seen the results of 'just agreeing w/ noobies wanting too much bike'. It never goes WELL.
Thanks for informing me of your riding experience, but that doesnt mean your a great rider. Ive seen people with 1 year exp. ride twisties better than some with 15.

·
Registered
82 Posts
RACER X said:
and you are who? do you even own a bike? and if so your experience is ? :fot
Im smoke2k, yes, i have owned quite a few bikes. (exp.8 years). I understand that your feel your opinion is more important than others being a msf instructor but i dont think that it means that your right. The sv 6 is prob 1 of the best starter bikes out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts