Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm selling my GS500F this weekend (Hopefully) and I've test driven one so far, a FZ6. So I went for a test drive, and this particular FZ6 was torn down into a streetfighter style, which was fine, But It made me feel like I was riding on top of the front wheel, So I don't necessarily know if that is just due to the particular style of the bike or because it doesn't have the front fairings on it. Also I know this is a problem or a noted characteristic that the clutch has some weird grabbing issues in first and second. In addition those characteristics this bike was crazy fast comparatively, I figure I'd get used to it after riding it a few hundred miles no problem but It was a huge difference. Also I can't exactly flat foot this bike which is also fine, but a slightly unwanted difference between the GS.

It kinda left me with a odd taste in my mouth. I like the bike due to the long valve adjustment intervals and the fuel injection, super reliable and the extra pick up and go I want. But it seemed off, but It could be just how the bike was customized.

So tell me, what else could I test drive that will satisfy my need for a fuel injected, long intervals on valve adjustments and ergonomic, bike?

Also to be noted I'm wanting an everyday until it snows kind of bike, for commuting.

TL;DR: I test drove a FZ6 didn't live up to my expectations, what other bikes can I get with a similar characteristics to my the FZ6 while keeping with similar ergonomics of my current GS500F, or was the particular customization to the FZ6 to blame?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do you have a Yamaha dealer around you that does the Demo Days? If so, the FZ-6 is always one of the bikes you can test ride. That way, you can at least figure out if your issues were with that particular customization or the FZ-6 in general.

Yamaha Motorcycle Display and Demo Schedule

(if there's nothing listed there, find your closest dealer and give em a call)

·
Registered
495 Posts
You would really want to buy an FZ6 that was chopped to bits first?

I can think of lots of bikes to fit the bill? What's your budget?

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I am about four hours south of you and just happen to have a FZ6 for sale. I love it and hate to sell it but I bought a NC700X so I must get rid of this one. Nearly all my riding is commuting and although the Z gets me 50 mpg the X will get me close to 70 or better.

I would say the stripped down style may be the issue you had. The clutch does have a narrow band of engagement but that took me all of five minutes to get used to. Way overblown IMHO.

My Z is bone stock except for the K&N air filter and the All Ballz steering head bearings. Nearly new Pirelli Diablo rear and about 5k on front Diablo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would really want to buy an FZ6 that was chopped to bits first?

I can think of lots of bikes to fit the bill? What's your budget?
Its about 4000ish, less it better of course, but a reliable quality bike is much better than any beater. There are FZ6s, a few SV650s and a Honda 599 and a Honda 919 that I've seen on Craigslist Kansas City.

Do you have a Yamaha dealer around you that does the Demo Days? If so, the FZ-6 is always one of the bikes you can test ride. That way, you can at least figure out if your issues were with that particular customization or the FZ-6 in general.

Yamaha Motorcycle Display and Demo Schedule

(if there's nothing listed there, find your closest dealer and give em a call)
I don't see anything but It might be a good idea to go and see what I can sit on and/or inspect at a dealership.

I am about four hours south of you and just happen to have a FZ6 for sale. I love it and hate to sell it but I bought a NC700X so I must get rid of this one. Nearly all my riding is commuting and although the Z gets me 50 mpg the X will get me close to 70 or better.

I would say the stripped down style may be the issue you had. The clutch does have a narrow band of engagement but that took me all of five minutes to get used to. Way overblown IMHO.

My Z is bone stock except for the K&N air filter and the All Ballz steering head bearings. Nearly new Pirelli Diablo rear and about 5k on front Diablo.

The clutch issue wasn't a big deal, It just something I noticed, I like my GS500F's better but I don't think its a deal breaker. 4 hours could be quite a trip. What can you tell me about it? You can PM me.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Streetfighter = wrecked, unless all stock parts are included, but I can bet that wasn't the case.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Its quite common to street fighter the FZ6, lots of ppl do it. Don't lay down the money if something feels off to you.

Just a pet peeve of mine but you said "test drive" like 16 times in your post. You test drive a car and test ride a motorcycle.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts

OP, talk to Kirk about his FZ. He's a good guy and seems like a straight shooter. Plus it's blue! :D

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
How many miles? I realize the boxers are more durable, but I know plenty of people with airhead BMW's with well over 100k and no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How many miles? I realize the boxers are more durable, but I know plenty of people with airhead BMW's with well over 100k and no problems.
39K, I'm sure it will go much more than that, but at a little under 10K I feel that other FZ6 I linked is a little better deal at the same (Listed) price.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
39K, I'm sure it will go much more than that, but at a little under 10K I feel that other FZ6 I linked is a little better deal at the same (Listed) price.
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
38 Posts
spam

I know where there's a nice cbr929 for $4k. Only 32k miles and the valves were just checked at 26k. all were in spec.

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
It sounds like you're buying your next bike like an appliance. Hold on to your 4000 and shop until you see something that you MUST have. Passion for what you ride, even with surprise maintenance costs, is what helps to make motorcycling a wonderful experience. People may make fun of what you ride, but you'll never hear them with the wind in your ears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds like you're buying your next bike like an appliance. Hold on to your 4000 and shop until you see something that you MUST have. Passion for what you ride, even with surprise maintenance costs, is what helps to make motorcycling a wonderful experience. People may make fun of what you ride, but you'll never hear them with the wind in your ears.
I know what you're saying. I think I'll go take a look at a few dealerships around the area and see what bikes peak my interests.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts