Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new sportbike with electronic aids. My choices are the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R abs (636) and the 2013 BMW S1000RR. It's primarily for street riding with a few track days (and/or schools) thrown in. I have ridden a ZX-6R demo on the street and have ridden the BMW on the track (California Superbike School).

I wanted to get my esteemed colleagues opinion on whether they felt the BMW was worth the extra money for this type of riding. There seem to be discounts available for the Kawi, but I've never seen any for the BMW (I don't know if any BMW dealers ever discount on this bike). I live in the NOVA area.

The other option is to wait until next year and see what else is available.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This doesn't really make sense. Anyway, I'd think the ZX6 would be PLENTY fast for the street. What's your track experience? Can you use your SV650 to its full potential on the track?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My SV needs brake and suspension upgrades before I feel comfortable with it on the track. Surprisingly, I'm more concerned with control than speed at this point, as I'm a relative track newbie. I want a bike that I can learn and expand my capabilities on, with confidence in it's abilities.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I may be a bit partial, but I would have to vote for the 636 for the street as well as for a new guy on the track. :D

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Don't count out the Triumph Daytona 675R in your list. It has every electronic aid, except traction control.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'm actually planning to keep the SV and sell another of my bikes, an BMW F650CS. I think the BMW dealer may give me a little more for it than another dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't count out the Triumph Daytona 675R in your list. It has every electronic aid, except traction control.
They just opened a new Triumph dealer near me, I should check it out.
The ergos seemed a little more aggressive to me the last time I sat on one.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

The best "fit" for me is the Suzuki GSX-R750, but it has no electronic aids.
There have been rumblings about Suzuki upgrading their stable, but I haven't seen any real evidence of that.

The insurance difference as quoted to me was only about $70 per year more for the BMW as compared to the 636, so it's not a deal breaker. The cost difference of the tires should be negligible.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
The 2013 Daytona has changed the ergos A LOT!. It is now more comfortable than a Honda CBR 600RR.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FWIW, I got used to the ergos of the Daytona pretty quick. A month in and it's totally comfortable to me. Everyone's different.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The suspension upgrades may be cheaper than a new bike, and SVs are plenty of fun at the track.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This is what I'd do (actually it's what I did). You can upgrade the fork internals (new springs, emulators, heavier oil) and replace the shock with one from a ZX or GSXR for $250 to $300. You'll have a bike that is a blast at the track, and a lot more confidence-inducing on the street.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This makes more sense now. Sorry OP. I like the daytona too but I dont think you could go wrong with whatever is mentioned in here. If there was a best bike, everyone would that same one.

Reactions: FUNwSV

·
Registered
461 Posts
I demo'd the 636 at the track earlier this year and liked everything about it except the throttle/fueling, especially at lower revs. I don't think i'd buy one for street use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I demo'd the 636 at the track earlier this year and liked everything about it except the throttle/fueling, especially at lower revs. I don't think i'd buy one for street use.

That's funny, when I demo'ed the bike on the road I was the first to ride it that morning and it had not fully warmed up. It died several times at low speeds. Once it had warmed up, the symptoms disappeared. I think I read somewhere they remapped the ECU to alleviate the problems.

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's funny, when I demo'ed the bike on the road I was the first to ride it that morning and it had not fully warmed up. It died several times at low speeds. Once it had warmed up, the symptoms disappeared. I think I read somewhere they remapped the ECU to alleviate the problems.
I had it on the track for a full session so it was plenty warm. i think i was just used to being able to run 2nd gear through some of the tighter turns with my street triple. The 675 is plenty happy running at the bottom of the tach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts