·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
#1: Rebuilt 2006 Honda CBR1000RR
#2: 2006 Honda CBR1000RR
#3: Rebuilt 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
- - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm kind of torn here. I test rode #1 and #3 yesterday. The CBR was more comfortable, but I had a GSX-R previously and like it.

The CBRs have hydraulic clutch, which I like.
And I know it's a little thing, but I like that the turn signals are more visible on the GSXR.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

CHOICE #1 : Rebuilt 2006 Honda CBR1000RR

ASKING PRICE : $5,800

• Completely re-built piece by piece
  • 8,000 miles
  • Will get new plastics, paint
  • Flushmount turn signals
  • Integrated tail lights
  • Yoshimura slip-on exhaust
  • K&N air filter
  • high pressure fuel pump
  • aftermarket windscreen
  • aftermarket levers
  • aftermarket brake master cylinder
  • Never laid down (at least not since it was built piece by piece)

- - -

CHOICE #2 : 2006 Honda CBR1000RR

ASKING PRICE : $5,000

• Two owners
  • 10,000 miles
  • Flushmount turn signals
  • Integrated tail lights
  • Otherwise, completely stock
  • Never laid down

- - -

CHOICE #3 : Rebuilt (not sure to what degree) 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

ASKING PRICE : $5,300

• Previously used for stunting
  • 18,000 miles
  • Power Commander 3 (PC3)
  • Arrow Full Exhaust
  • Racing clutch of some sort
  • Steel braided brake lines
  • K&N air filter
  • I believe has been laid down

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
The one that does not have a rebuilt title.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For number one, I stopped reading at "rebuilt." For number two, those are not flushmounted turnsignals... For number three, stopped reading at "stunted." Number two is your best option far and away. I wouldn't even consider the other two...
For number one, I know and trust the guy who rebuilds them for a living.

However, I agree that a non-rebuilt bike may be a better option.

For number two, no one said that is a current photo. He obviously took that before he put on the flushmount turn signals.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Why is this even a question? #2 is unmolested, cheaper, and has nearly the same mileage. You'd be pants on head idiotic to not pick that one.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I'll reiterate:
the one that does not say rebuilt in the title.

end of story. It's even the cheapest one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is this even a question? #2 is unmolested, cheaper, and has nearly the same mileage. You'd be pants on head idiotic to not pick that one.
The point made by my buddy who rebuilds them is that "[he] knows [his] bikes". As in, I trust him, and he knows how they run and the kind of condition they're in. But, I don't know what may or may not have happened to someone else's bike.

That's the only reason why I've been considering buying from him, as I did with my last one.

But with you guys' advice, I may sway the other way now.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Maintenance is more important, but newer is always better if everything else is equal. Not sure how different the 07s are than the 06s

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
#2, I wouldn't consider the others unless they were free.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I just saw the '07 that's only a few hours away. That's probably a better bet. The drive is no big deal, ROAD TRIP.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That 07 looks awesome. Looks stock to me (I don't know CBR's very well though) and only 5k miles.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It is extremely simple. You will have to damn near give away a rebuilt title car or bike when you go to sell it. It would have to be super cheap for me to buy one and I would never give clean title money for one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question for the middle bike.
Maintenance records? How well does the bike look in person, how does it ride or sound.
As far as your friend goes, how well do you really trust him. What would he do if something goes wrong with the bike and you crash? I am a big fan of keeping business and personal life separate.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Look at it this way, you are going out for lunch and you have the following 3 options:

-Shit sandwich on a high quality sourdough bun- $12.95
-Prime rib steak- $12.95
-Dead rat infected with aids on a beautiful china plate- $12.95

Which would you pick?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question for the middle bike.
Maintenance records? How well does the bike look in person, how does it ride or sound.
As far as your friend goes, how well do you really trust him. What would he do if something goes wrong with the bike and you crash? I am a big fan of keeping business and personal life separate.
The bike looks great in person. Sounds good.

The seller has only had it since June this year and says he doesn't have a maintenance record from the previous owner.

Once I have cash in hand (waiting on check from insurance for my totaled bike [hit a deer!]), I will go look at it again and ask him if I can just take it for a short test ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts