Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody:

I'm a newbie to this board, but I've been voraciously reading all of your threads about the FZ6. I'm getting ready to move from a cruiser to a sport/naked bike and am completely torn between the FZ6 and the Kawasaki Z750S.

I think I really want the FZ6, but a few things about it concern me, and I was hoping you guys could alleviate my misgivings. Here they are:

1. The notchy transmission -- is this a big issue? I've owned two Kawasakis, and the transmissions on both have been silky smooth.

2. The clutch. One review I read (on mcnews.com) indicated that the FZ6's clutch overheats after a few jackrabbit starts, and that it takes a while to recover. The last thing I need is a burned-out clutch when I'm 100 miles from home on a deserted road.

3. Lack of low-end torque. In real world conditions, is this a big problem? And couldn't you compensate by revving the engine higher in a lower gear?

4. Engine vibration/buzziness. The mcnews review says there's a noticeable vibration at 6000-7500 rpm, which corresponds to typical cruising speeds of 69-85 mph. How noticeable is the vibration, and is it a problem for any of you?

5. Touchy throttle/fuel injection. Another review talked about how the touchy throttle and fuel injection systems often lead to jerky starts or stalls when moving off in first gear. Is this something that should concern me?

Any input you guys can provide would be appreciated. I REALLY like the FZ6, but reliability and smooth operation are big factors to me. If none of the issues I mentioned here are major concerns, then maybe I don't have to even worry about them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I sat on the Z750 and found it to be too small, no room for my legs (34" inseam). So I didn't look into it any further. YMMV.

The FZ6 is a good bike and does a lot well. None of the things you listed have been major hassles for me, but I've only got 1300 kms. The clutch/throttle is a little tricky on an incline, otherwise it's been fine... different, but you get used to it pretty quick.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
None of the above!!!--- All these are first impressions of riders that didn't know or just learning how to ride the bike the right way. If you've riden before, I'm betting you'll enjoy the FZ6. It's not a cruiser and it's not a full sports--- it is both and if you're looking for either/or, then there can be no comparison. Try one out. Riding is a matter of taste. If you're asking "owners" if they're satisfied with the bike, I for one will say, I LOVE IT.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
1. It can be notchy, but it just requires you to be smoother on your shifts. Just adjust to the bike and you'll forget you're doing it over time

2. Not a problem in the slightest.

3. Each gear has a very broad range that it can be used in. You can run 60mph in 1st gear if you wanted to. Around town power is spot on. They don't know what they're talking about

4. It does vibrate a little between 5000 and 5500-6000. This vibration tends to go away after break-in, and what's left disipates over time.

5. Just slip the clitch a little more and be smooth on the gas and you'll be fine. Again, it's just an adjustment that you need to make to the bike (like you do with every bike).

In all honesty, you have NOTHING to worry about. Besides, where else will you find such an active board like this one?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Uh, I'm pretty hard on the bike especially starting... and so far I haven't had any problems or had any reason to believe I will.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
segue00 said:
None of the above!!!--- All these are first impressions of new riders that had nothing to compare them to.
Well, actually, the reviews I quoted are from motorcycle publications that test all kinds of bikes all the time. :) They weren't the opinions of new riders.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Curley said:
Well, actually, the reviews I quoted are from motorcycle publications that test all kinds of bikes all the time. :) They weren't the opinions of new riders.
Didn't get my edit in on time..:bitchslap please forgive me.

Man, you guys are fast to respond today....:lao

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I have a friend that's selling an '03 Z1000 for, I believe it's for $6000. If this isn't your first bike, this might be a good buy. It's orange BTW, never dropped.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Lets take a vote, FZ6 or that other bike. I vote FZ6. I'm a fairly new rider, and I haven't noticed much of that. When you downshift into first it does clunk, but it doesn't mean anything. They may have been comparing low-end torque to a R1, of course it won't have as much. Just bring the revs higher, sit in a lower gear, and you'll be fine.
One more thing, you won't find a sexier bike that a FZ6.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
All bikes clunk, rattle, and/or buzz to some degree. I have ridden the new K1200S, the 2005 Gixxer 1000, and a CBR 600RR and their trannies clunked just like every other bike out there.

The FZ6 is a good bike and a terrific value.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Uh, I'm pretty hard on the bike especially starting... and so far I haven't had any problems or had any reason to believe I will.
+2

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
The clutch and throttle did take me a little while to get used to. I'm not a new rider either. After you put a few miles on the bike, these things are no problem at all. The only problem I had was with the clutch lever freeplay. It didn't seem to be adjusted properly when I got it from the dealership. Also, the clutch cable seemed to stretch quite a bit in the first few hundred miles. I had to keep adjusting the nut on the clutch lever. I eventually ran out of adjustment on the lever and had to make a secondary adjustment located under the tank(which is a real pain to get at by the way). Everything seems alright now. Haven't had a problem since then.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As I newbie I guess I have nothing to compare to. However, in the short time I have been riding (1 month), the clutch & throttle took no time to get used to. I like how she is mellow in the lower part of the tach but watch out when you take her over 7k, its like awakening a dormant volcano :) This allows me the versatility to ride her the way I feel like at the time. The tranny seems fine to me and from what I understand it gets even better with more miles & upgrading to synthetic. My 2 cents.

:newbie :cheers

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
I looked at the z750 as a possible option, but it was more expensive and I couldnt justify the cost. The entire side of the thing is made of plastic, I think its supposed to look like a frame or something. But just about everything I tapped on didn't feel like good ol' metal. Isnt it a tubular frame? Plus I thought it was ugly compared to the FZ6, and it doesnt have all the cool little features of the FZ6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The FZ6 is my fourth street bike, although it's my first in a few years. The tranny is a little notchy by comparison, but once you get used to it you don't notice it. Same goes for the clutch...late engagement point but you'll figure it out. Power, even midrange, is not a problem. Buzziness isn't that bad to begin with, but slowly goes away.
No MC is perfect. None. This MC does many things very well and unless you are riding at 9/10 or 10/10 all the time, it performs wonderfully. Roomy, good wind protection, handles well, as fast as you need to go.
Personally, I think too many people get all caught up in all the nitpicking done by the magazine testers. Hey, it's a f'n motorcyle. It's gonna vibrate a little. This thing makes 98hp. It will go real f'n fast. How fast does someone need to go? I realize that it may not make all the midrange it could if tuned differently, but so what. It makes 98hp. Downshift.
The only real problem this bike has, and I mean the only REAL problem, is the seat.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
CobraKaiDojo said:
The FZ6 is my fourth street bike, although it's my first in a few years. The tranny is a little notchy by comparison, but once you get used to it you don't notice it. Same goes for the clutch...late engagement point but you'll figure it out. Power, even midrange, is not a problem. Buzziness isn't that bad to begin with, but slowly goes away.
No MC is perfect. None. This MC does many things very well and unless you are riding at 9/10 or 10/10 all the time, it performs wonderfully. Roomy, good wind protection, handles well, as fast as you need to go.
Personally, I think too many people get all caught up in all the nitpicking done by the magazine testers. Hey, it's a f'n motorcyle. It's gonna vibrate a little. This thing makes 98hp. It will go real f'n fast. How fast does someone need to go? I realize that it may not make all the midrange it could if tuned differently, but so what. It makes 98hp. Downshift.
The only real problem this bike has, and I mean the only REAL problem, is the seat.
This man speaks the truth. Most times you find something more wrong with the bike than the seat. the only thing people complain about is the seat. buy a seat from corbin with the money you saved by buying this bike. after that you will have a top-notch bike that will do anything you ask of it.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
This man speaks the truth. Most times you find something more wrong with the bike than the seat. the only thing people complain about is the seat. buy a seat from corbin with the money you saved by buying this bike. after that you will have a top-notch bike that will do anything you ask of it.
I have yet to have a problem with my seat. Maybe I just have enough padding of my own.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts