Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloooo Everyone

Does anyone have has any back problems. One of the reasons I wanted a sport bike, besides the fact that I like them better, was because of my lower back problems.

I'm having surgery in November but was wondering if there are any tips to "ease the pain." Do gel seats work at all? Good ones aren't cheap, but if they work, it would be worth it. Hate to spend the money if they don't make that much of a difference though. Is there anything else that might help?Thanks a bunch.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
On top of mods you can get done let me suggest something. I had back surgery 9 years ago (spinal fusion, metal cage installed <2 eight inch steel rods, 2 steel joiners and 8 screws> and re-routed the nerves to my legs and installed a fake disc) I didn't want heavy meds after a couple of months and my doctor suggested over the counter menstruel pain meds. Pamprine or Midol. Say what you want folks but the chit worked for my back pains everytime and I don't have to be heavily medicated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yuppers. I'm having spinal fusion - cage and screws, etc. No need for the nerve routing, I don't think. I've been on heavy meds to get me to November. Problem is that you have to keep going heavier for them to keep working. Midol and Pamprin won't make a dent in this chickie.

Do you still have pain? Did the surgery take some or all of it away? I'm hoping to not need meds after recovery time is passed. That is the whole point of having the surgery in my mind.

·
20,852 Posts
gixernut said:
Yuppers. I'm having spinal fusion - cage and screws, etc. No need for the nerve routing, I don't think. I've been on heavy meds to get me to November. Problem is that you have to keep going heavier for them to keep working. Midol and Pamprin won't make a dent in this chickie.

Do you still have pain? Did the surgery take some or all of it away? I'm hoping to not need meds after recovery time is passed. That is the whole point of having the surgery in my mind.
For now the Pamprin and Midol will not work, have to use the heavy stuff. But after recovery time is over, use it.

I rarely have pain anymore, in fact I have participated in martial arts, police academy, mountain climbing, rappeling, gliding hell anything I have wanted to. The main thing is stay active afterwards. You may still have some minor pains from time to time, then use the light meds. From the date of my injury until I was cleared for work was exactly 11 months. It only took me 4 months to get back to work and they said that was 3-6 months sooner than expected. You are having major surgery and remember that so take it easy for a bit afterwards and do EXACTLY what the dr. says if you want to go smoothly. For at least 2 weeks afterwards you will have to stay in bed so make sure there is soneone to take care fo you for that time. They suggest not a lot of moving around for at least 1 month. Let me know if you need any advice or anything.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy Crap! They told me I'd be up within the week and back to work in 4-6 or as soon as I could sit long enough to get there and back and sit during the day, etc.

I have the choice between the fusion and artificial disc replacement. Seeing as the fake disc is not covered by insurance yet, decision was fairly easy.

You mentioned mods in your first post. What kind of mods were you thinking?

·
20,852 Posts
Mods???....Shit, me and my typing. I meant meds. so far that. If they are adding the cage and fusion that 4-6 week stuff is BS! I highly doubt you will be up and runnng a marathon....your level of pain tolerance will have something to do with it as well mental stability/process and how fast your body normally heals. Have yet to see any go that fast though. They are going to take bone chips off your hip to make the fusion with and when they put the cage in they will be screwing screws into your spine. Theu will have you up in a week, but just long enough to make sure you can walk and not too much more than that. May want to consult the doc about it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I have a slight case of scoliosis (crooked back) but it's not bad...although I don't risk jogging or lifting weights I do pushups, situps and run on a treadmill (less impact) and I also massage my back muscles with a rubber ball...I lie on it and let it roll around my stiff muscles.

No more chiropractors and because of the situps I have strong stomach muscles that help me when riding.

Good luck both of you with your backs and get well soon

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I've lived with a jammed spine since 1980 and I have scoliosis and my left leg is shorter than the right by 9mm which adds to the pain.

I take a Kava Kava root pill every morning and it helps.With out it and I lock up to the point that I can't walk.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, even if it isn't what I wanted to hear.

You know, they actually don't take the bone from the hip anymore. I had that sort of bone graft done when I was in high school and was afraid of having the matching scar on the other hip. They told me they will use either bone from the vertabrae they remove or donor bone. You think if they use donor bone from a smarter person, it will have an effect? J/K of course.

As for the pain, who knows. I feel like I have a pretty high tolerance since I've been putting up with this for almost 20 years now (it started in high school). Guess I will find out.

As for incentive to get better...I will hopefully have my new bike sitting in the garage waiting for me to hop on in the Spring. We have pretty shitty seasons here, so I'm thinking late Spring. If not, I'll be here crying the blues about it, I'm sure.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alaska cajun said:
I've lived with a jammed spine since 1980 and I have scoliosis and my left leg is shorter than the right by 9mm which adds to the pain.

I take a Kava Kava root pill every morning and it helps.With out it and I lock up to the point that I can't walk.

Never heard of Kava Kava root. Someone told me to take the crap they put in jello, others who live by Pomengranade Juice, etc. But, no Kava Kava root. Is it for joint pain? Like Glucosomene/Condroiten?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
first bike?

why not get more sensibel bike

yzf600?
VFR?
F4i?
even zx-6r?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
???

The new bike, which won't be new, but new to me, will be my 2nd.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
I didn't want heavy meds after a couple of months and my doctor suggested over the counter menstruel pain meds. Pamprine or Midol..
wow, that's great. Is that better than taking advil, or ty.. ?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
RACER X said:
first bike?

why not get more sensibel bike

yzf600?
VFR?
F4i?
even zx-6r?
I have a slight hernation on L4, and L5. Plus the sciatic S1. I have the F4i, and I'm happy with it..
The only thing I've done that may have helped the back pain is stretching, and keeping my weight low.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cris, what year is your F4i? I'm struggling with trying to figure out which bike has the best handlebar ride height and yours doesn't look too bad. I hadn't considered one of them. Keep in mind that I'm looking at 2001 to 2003.

I looked at the CBR's, but not the F4i's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Five yr.s ago I had a retroplural discectomy at T9/10. It's a really fun 7 hr. op. where they slice thru all the muscles on one side of your back, take out (and not put back) a rib, push your lung out of the way and have at it. They bored a hole thru T9 to pick a marble sized hunk of calcified disc part that was completely filling the spinal stem space and spasing me out from there down, then fused 9 and 10 with pieces of the removed rib. The recovery pain was exquisite.

So... two years sitting upright on a Honda Shadow cruiser (oh the humility)!

Now my neurosurgeon says I've got a few more years before I need to fuse discs C 4,5 &6 which are basically gone.

Last two years have been on a Speed Triple with Gen-Mar bar riser/extenders to provide a more upright riding position. And God its good to have my feet back under me where they belong.

I can ride with clip-ons, but not for long because it tweaks the cervicle non-discs.

I'm one or two Tylenol a night... always will be. Not bad though if buffered with Heinekin or Carlsberg.

All this because I stalled a wingover and spun-in a hanglider 25 years ago when I was young and invincible. The motorcycling equivalent of highsiding into a wall.

Cut to Brando in the jungle... "The horror, the horror"!

So, has anyone out there turned an F4i into a streetfighter with Renthal bars and a big soft seat. If so, post it up here, now.

Good luck to you.

·
20,852 Posts
crisg555 said:
wow, that's great. Is that better than taking advil, or ty.. ?

It has worked for me...no more tylonol....eats the damn stomach liner up when you chew a lot everyday due to migraines. Advil didn't help me, but everyone is different. I have a life-time perscription for morphine but I avoid that as much as possible. The midol and pamprine help relax the muscles. Your doctor will probably tell you the stronger your stomach muscles the stronger your back will. I have the 6 pack thing going so it helps my back. ^ pack abs, not the brews.

·
20,852 Posts
MT Wallet said:
I have a slight case of scoliosis (crooked back) but it's not bad...although I don't risk jogging or lifting weights I do pushups, situps and run on a treadmill (less impact) and I also massage my back muscles with a rubber ball...I lie on it and let it roll around my stiff muscles.

No more chiropractors and because of the situps I have strong stomach muscles that help me when riding.

Good luck both of you with your backs and get well soon

'preciate it :cheers

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
gixernut said:
Never heard of Kava Kava root. Someone told me to take the crap they put in jello, others who live by Pomengranade Juice, etc. But, no Kava Kava root. Is it for joint pain? Like Glucosomene/Condroiten?

It's natures muscle relaxer and can be taken in pill form or as tea.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts