Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock power train, lot's of miles already....

cruising at 4-6K rpm I started noticing an occassional stumble, almost like I lost power/fuel?

Thought maybe bad gas/water in it or something. Then next day it seems worse/more frequent. 20 miles later I pull up to a stop sign and it stalls? Starts right back up, but won't idle? I drive another ~20 miles, won't idle but running o.k. little hesitant when keeping it cruising at 4-6K rpm.

I let 'er sit for the day of work. On the way home starts and runs with less "stumbles" and idles fine, 20miles home and idles in the garage fine?

Any ideas, don't want to get stranded and have to use my roadside assistance!

Thanks in advance anyone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can you say WARRANTY?

Take it back to the dealer, at least get the problem registered so if it gets worse at a later date you still have recourse.

Skippy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good call.
I would def take it to the dealer as soon as possible at least to get it on record. Yours is all stock right?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, CBA (Could Be Anything - Fuel injection, bad fuel, overheating?? etc.). I have to agree with Virtualt: Head to the dealer ASAP and have them check it out!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got a call back from my mechanic friend

He said to try some premium gas, take it out and open it up. I've been running just crap 87 'cause I thought I read a thread that said it didn't matter in ours the way the FI is s/u. Hell, I'll just get the PC, wire it in and be done with it?

He also said if it persists that FI is a quirky thing and could be a bad injector? Also that half the dealerships (around here anyway) don't know shit about the injectors and can really screw you up?

I have stock powertrain, no overheating problems.

I did think of one additional thing. The night before the stalls, I was at my girlfriends and I didn't put it in the shed and it got rained on. The problem was in the mornig when I dried her off and went to the office. Anyone have any "wet" problems?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Check the spark? I dunno...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had mine in the rain a good many times and it runs fine. Not only has it just been rained on while I was in a bar, I mean church, but I had to drive home from work one time thinking I would make it and got about half way before the bottom fell out. It was that type of rain that most senior citizens pull over for and I just went right through it. I never had a problem.
I am no mechanic but if it still fires up and runs fine outside the R's you said then maybe its a timing or ignition issue? I dont know but it seems to me that if it was a plug or bad injector then you would notice it throughout the revs instead of just in certain range.
Eh?

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
just one thing to check on the wet issue. Have you touched any of the wiring? Try to disconnect then reconnnect all the plug ins on the bike. I think you have a loose one.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Epee said:
I did think of one additional thing. The night before the stalls, I was at my girlfriends and I didn't put it in the shed and it got rained on. The problem was in the mornig when I dried her off and went to the office. Anyone have any "wet" problems?

Yes, From washing the bike. I obviously aimed the hose just right and got some water in the airbox. It would bsarely idle for a bit, required a restart a couple of times. It did clear up and no trouble since then. You have to get the water our of the airbox.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was weird?

I rode it in to the dealership on Thursday and it got that whole hesitation/stumble thing going after 20miles or so. Stop and go city traffic greeted me with no idle at this light, then next one it would? I would free rev a little, just into 6-7K rpm's, seemed to help her return to an idle instead of stalling.

The shop, after letting her sit until the next day, couldn't replicate problem of course. Picked it up today and put over hundred miles and free sailing/no problems. I did try a tank of premium, then got that second day of stalls. I got caught in all out rain today, still no problems (never had constant, lasting rain before on her, just rained on for 15minutes at GF's).

Yamaha dealer said maybe something passing through? Keep and eye on it and let them know?? I hate problems like this, you always wait for them to crop up again? Oh well 6700 miles and still loving the FZ6. Needed to fill up again and went back to the recommended 87 pump gas.

thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
205 Posts
Epee said:
I rode it in to the dealership on Thursday and it got that whole hesitation/stumble thing going after 20miles or so. Stop and go city traffic greeted me with no idle at this light, then next one it would? I would free rev a little, just into 6-7K rpm's, seemed to help her return to an idle instead of stalling.

Yamaha dealer said maybe something passing through? Keep and eye on it and let them know?? I hate problems like this, you always wait for them to crop up again? Oh well 6700 miles and still loving the FZ6. Needed to fill up again and went back to the recommended 87 pump gas.

thanks for the ideas
I have seen this type of problem over and over again on modern FI engines, whether they be in cars, boats or bikes.
Inveriably it is always comes down to a bad ECU unit that is causing an intermittent problem due to heat expansion and contraction.

Ask them what trouble codes came up when they put a diagnostic unit on it as all trouble with FI is stored in the memory of the ECU, that way you will know if they are just blowing smoke up your butt or if they really know what they are doing.

If it is the latter, I will probably drive the one day trip to NC and have my bike serviced there as the majority of service techs I have come across know less than my 10 year old daughter.

Unless it is on fire or blinking a red light on it they don't know where to look. :angry

Skippy

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the majority of service techs I have come across know less than my 10 year old daughter.

Unless it is on fire or blinking a red light on it they don't know where to look. :angry

Skippy[/QUOTE]

I'M WITH YOU ON THAT!!!

Thanks everyone again. I asked what came up on the computer diag. the idiot mumbles something about, "it doesn't do.... have a..thing for computer....now any ..........uh way........ O.K.??"

I gave him my best, "WTF"?? he retorts with his best homer simpson expression, "we didn't ahhh do that". But they didn't charge me so....... ewwwww lucky me? I'm so tired of service.......... the F'in lack of it!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts