Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a few questions... Im plannin on gettin a bike this winter after i have saved up a little. ive never rode a sportbike but i use to have a dirtbike for a few years, i kno they are different but it has to help me out some.

i was wanting to kno.
-what kind of bike would be best to start out, i want a 600 or so thats pretty light but fast too!
-where are some good places to find a bike
-How much are people paying for insurance if you have a 600-down cc bike and around 20 or so for full coverage or liability.

please help me out... thanks guys...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm taking it in a couple weeks but i was just wanting to know now because i might get a bike sooner if i can get everything together and get some info.

·
Registered
813 Posts
1) Sv650s is probably a better choice than a SS.. or maybe even an older 600's (early 90's to mid 90's).. Honda F2, F3...

2) cycletrader.com has lot of bikes .. check out the "for sale" area on this board, check local news papers

3) Go to progressive.com and request a quote.. you should get an idea of what you will be paying.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
BrownRob said:
1) Sv650s is probably a better choice than a SS.. or maybe even an older 600's (early 90's to mid 90's).. Honda F2, F3...

2) cycletrader.com has lot of bikes .. check out the "for sale" area on this board, check local news papers

3) Go to progressive.com and request a quote.. you should get an idea of what you will be paying.
Loosk like you covered it just about perfect , but for full coverage it could be up to and over 6k . Always look into insurance before buying a bike

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
newspapers or craigslist. ebay is a good source if they are local auctions, so you can check out the bike before bidding. I dont like cycletrader b/c it seems like they dont cycle out their out of date ads quick enough.

·
Registered
415 Posts
GreenZED said:
take MSF course first and then get back to us.
+1

Since there's no MSF in Puerto Rico I couldn't take it, but I tell you this from first hand, (my experience) it not that easy to start on today's 600cc class even i you have dirtbikes and quads experience early....many can, many not....

I have my gix now for 6 months and i say that i dont have 100% control of her yet but i'm working on it, haven't drop it and i have close to 3500 miles already, (maybe not much for some people) so far so good. my best advice once you got yours is, ride within your limits and never try to show off. Each time you take it for a ride you'll learn something new....

.....so go ahead and do whatever your testosterone tells you, you'll find much info in the new rider forum, lots os experienced riders with greats tips...

be safe and wear gear, BTW welcome :flipa :cheers

my .02c

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the welcome. what about a newer honda cbr 2000 or so? how much would liability cost? my friend is 19 and she pays 300 some a year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
it all depends on where u live. i live in nj and ins. is high.but u might luck out.chk progressive.if ur lookn 4 a str8^ sport bike,then any of the 6's r fine.i had a gix 6 and loved it and now have a 750.rider safety course always a +. good luk.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
my friend is 19 and she pays 300 some a year.
She must ride a fiddy and live in Alaska (no offense Alaskans). Regressive wanted 10k a year for full coverage on my new 04 636 last year. I have other modes of transportation and I rarely file claims on any of my vehicles. I just signed up for liability with another company, got the card that says I'm covered for a year, and stopped paying. All I need insurance for is to show to cops anyways. Instead of paying 300 a month for insurance, I started a little of my own "insurance" fund. I've got about 6 grand in there-- that's my insurance policy. I break it, I'll fix it. And I'll still make it to work in the meantime.

I do have health insurance. If you're going to ride, that's no joke. I only have a catastrophe plan, like a $900 deductable. I only pay 45 ballons a month and I won't be on the hook for 10 grand if I break and arm or something.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope no experience besides the dirtbikes ive had... im gonna take that course too...what would be a bike that looks good and performs good but is easy to ride?

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
what would be a bike that looks good and performs good but is easy to ride?
500R. All those things, except for the looks. And you'll be able to sell it for as much as you buy it for. Don't be concerned with show-off value at this point. Get a machine to get comfortable and practice on. Then you can pop for a dream sportbike later and not be worried about making a noob mistake and wrecking the thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MAGNUM636 said:
She must ride a fiddy and live in Alaska (no offense Alaskans). Regressive wanted 10k a year for full coverage on my new 04 636 last year. I have other modes of transportation and I rarely file claims on any of my vehicles. I just signed up for liability with another company, got the card that says I'm covered for a year, and stopped paying. All I need insurance for is to show to cops anyways. Instead of paying 300 a month for insurance, I started a little of my own "insurance" fund. I've got about 6 grand in there-- that's my insurance policy. I break it, I'll fix it. And I'll still make it to work in the meantime.

I do have health insurance. If you're going to ride, that's no joke. I only have a catastrophe plan, like a $900 deductable. I only pay 45 ballons a month and I won't be on the hook for 10 grand if I break and arm or something.
i think she has a ninja 250... i live in WV so it hsould be less..is everyones insurance expensive too? i was thinkin bout puttin the bike and insurance in my mom or dads name and makin it less..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well Dirtbikes will teach you pretty good throttle controll. If you can controll rpms threw the woops you can on the street imo. Use of the clutch and shifting is the same.. so you have some skills. Take the MSF course and then pick a bike. I like the sv choice ....kinda. Better i think is somthing cheep but remotly safe. Somthing u can beat the snot out of and not worry bout. Get some seat time then move into somthing sexy. Used ex 500 maby. Afordable. resaleable. And if you wad it up you wont cry a river....over the bike anyway :) On that note. Get gear and use it. Burn the leather not ur ass.
MSF

Relic

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea...i was hoping to get somethin that i can just keep without havin to worry bout sellin and findin another one but that might be better

·
Registered
58 Posts
my 1st bike (street) was a ltd 550. Was like rideing a blender on the highway. Rode the hell outa that bike for like 4 seasons. I couldnt afford a better one :) And i managed too get into my share of jams with it as well. Now im sure the " I started on a Busa and im just fine cuz of my mad skillz" ppl will agrue that you can get a 600cc sportbike and be just fine. Honestly maby you can. Altho for evry 1 of those guys that have started there and been fine there is another person posting picks of roadrash,wadded up bran new bikes. Or worse...their friends post because they were airlifted off the highway or dead. Your 19, whats the hurry. Get a bike learn too ride the right way. You will be a far better rider in the long run.
Ohh and insurance..look into insureing a cbr600ss and a ex500. IM 35 yrs old..married..own my own house. R1 is $1000 a year. Progressive wanted 7k a year. State farm quoted me 3k a year. 0 accidents 0 Tickets Safe driver endorsement.

Relic

·
Registered
103 Posts
The EX500... the perfect beginner bike: plenty of power, decent brakes, relaxed handling, cheap, reliable, easy to work on, good resale value (if you buy one used), cheap insurance ($300/year when I was 22). Highly recommend it.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
tronix304 said:
thanks for the welcome. what about a newer honda cbr 2000 or so? how much would liability cost? my friend is 19 and she pays 300 some a year.

What is a Honda cbr 2000?

No offense man but you should brush up on your models before you go get one. Find an older beat-up 500 or 600 to mess around with first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts