• 2004 Honda CBR1000RR

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about what my next bike should be. I currently own a 2001 Honda CBR929RR. The 2 bikes I'm lookin at are a 2003 Honda RC51 (used with 1400 miles that the owner NEVER rides) and the 2004 Honda CBR1000RR. Both have pros and cons, of course. I wanted to get input from others to help me make my decision. Also, this is something that might happen in a couple months or just before the year ends. But the sooner I make my decision, the better.

RC51
Pros:
-V-twin, I love the sound
-I've ridden one a few times before and definitely like it
-Has the pipes I want (High-mount Migs)
-Low Miles (1400 miles currently)
-Lower price (lower than I want to quote)
-b***** trunk than 1000RR
Cons:

-It's used, and even though it's in great shape, it's used.
-Definitely can't be discreet with the loud ass pipes (both a pro and con, actually)
-Location of radiators makes it hot as hell (only at slow slow speeds or standing, not a big deal)
-Low speed turning SUCKS, wrists are easily caught up between bars and tank
-No clock on instrument panel (haha ok thats a stupid con)
-smaller trunk than 929

1000RR
Pros:

-brand new bike, i'll know everything about it
-service plan
-more power
-should handle better than the RC (never ridden a 1000RR but I'm sure it does)

Cons:
-price
-never ridden one before
-i HEARD the HESD is overrated
-extremely small or no trunk (not sure which but both are cons)

It's a pretty shitty list I know and only I can decide on what I want. But to me, they're so different. What do you think, America?

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
Def. the CBR- I've ridden them both and the CBR is much faster and lighter. Handles 5x better also

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
you shouldnt really compare these bikes for speed. ones a v-twin (read: not built for speed) the RR is prolly more comfy than the RC, which is a torture rack to me. i dont think that 1400 miles really translates to used. its just broken in. id go for the twin but to each his own.

btw, from what i read the HESD is phenominal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kranok said:
you shouldnt really compare these bikes for speed. ones a v-twin (read: not built for speed) the RR is prolly more comfy than the RC, which is a torture rack to me. i dont think that 1400 miles really translates to used. its just broken in. id go for the twin but to each his own.

btw, from what i read the HESD is phenominal.
I'm not necessarily comparing the bikes for speed because I am riding them on the street and really don't ride fast. The power is just nice to have. From what I understand, the RC has more punch to it (torque) and the 1000RR has more high end but will let loose when told to. I just can't decide which style I want. I've always loved V-twins but since all my friends got the 04 models (10r, R1, GSXR1000) I've gained a better respect for those bikes. They've come a long way since 2001.

Also, I'm not considering the RC51 used as in ragged out or anything. It's more about being the second owner and if I bought the 04, I'd have the service plan and everything would be covered under warranty.

I have plenty of time to think it over but it still won't be an easy decision. Hopefully something will happen to make it easier. Maybe by then the guy will have sold his RC51 or maybe I won't have enough for the 1000RR.

We'll see.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't like either, and since it's your $$$, YOU pick!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Awsome man, post some pics when you get a chance :)

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
good choice. don't get me wrong, i like the 1000RR, but i would take the RC because not as many people have them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I couldnt decide either,so I own both,one used 2003 RC51 I found with 2k miles on it for 7500.00, and just picked up a new CBR1000RR 2 weeks ago.Hands down,the CBR1000RR is a more comfortable,"smoothe accelerating" ,fantastic handleing overall bike, IMHO.The RC51 handles awsum also once in the canyons and a good rider can make either bike work,the major difference beeing the torque of the RC51 is great for heavier riders like myself,195lbs 5' 10".The RC can power thru corners as well, or possibly better than the CBR because of the low end grunt,but I think Im faster in the long run on the CBR because I can ride harder for a longer period of time without getting fatigued.I enjoy riding both, and my RC51 has a set of YOSH race series pipes that sound awsum...but dont underestimate the quiet CBR,it has a very managable smoothe power band that is hard to even explain ,and will walk away from the RC in the straights.
Ride them both and I think you'll decide on the new CBR1000RR unless you are as dumb as me,then you'll have both.Good luck with your decission.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pics will probably come mid-August because I let my lady borrow my digital camera when she went to Taiwan. Maybe I can borrow a camera because I'd like to get a couple more pictures of my 929 before I let it go. I'm gonna miss that bike SO damn much. It was my first bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rc51mike said:
I couldnt decide either,so I own both,one used 2003 RC51 I found with 2k miles on it for 7500.00, and just picked up a new CBR1000RR 2 weeks ago.Hands down,the CBR1000RR is a more comfortable,"smoothe accelerating" ,fantastic handleing overall bike, IMHO.The RC51 handles awsum also once in the canyons and a good rider can make either bike work,the major difference beeing the torque of the RC51 is great for heavier riders like myself,195lbs 5' 10".The RC can power thru corners as well, or possibly better than the CBR because of the low end grunt,but I think Im faster in the long run on the CBR because I can ride harder for a longer period of time without getting fatigued.I enjoy riding both, and my RC51 has a set of YOSH race series pipes that sound awsum...but dont underestimate the quiet CBR,it has a very managable smoothe power band that is hard to even explain ,and will walk away from the RC in the straights.
Ride them both and I think you'll decide on the new CBR1000RR unless you are as dumb as me,then you'll have both.Good luck with your decission.
You might have missed my post just now, I ended up buying the RC51 today. 2003 with 617 miles and Mig High-mounts. Beautiful bike. I'd like to give the 1000RR a try one day but doubt I'll have the resources to own both at the same time, at least not any time soon. And yeah, I'm a heavier rider as well. 240, 6'1". If I ever get the money to decide I can get some mods, the first 2 will be the Sargent seat (which I've heard from some good sources is a different and, to some, better feel than Corbin and the company is great to deal with) and the PCIIIusb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts