Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent yesterday charging my battery, so I had the tank propped open while I removed and re-installed it. I got the battery charged and went out for a ride, but when I went to get gas, I couldn't turn the key to open the tank. As far as I can tell, the key is going in all the way. I tried both keys, and they do work to start the bike, but not for the tank. Any ideas?

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
I sometimes have to push down on the cap while turning the key. Perhaps you kinked the over-flow hose and created a vacuum within the tank.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Start by spraying wd40 or other similar penetrating lube in the fliier cap key hole and let it soak through. Sounds like a little fiddling is needed.

·
Registered
803 Posts
SilverBuzz said:
I sometimes have to push down on the cap while turning the key. Perhaps you kinked the over-flow hose and created a vacuum within the tank.

+1 on that. I'll bet its one or the other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SilverBuzz said:
I thought about that too, but even pressing down as hard as I could, it still wouldn't open. It's not a vacuum situation, because I can't even turn the key.

I had some WD40 sprayed in there, so I'm going to get the bike now and see if I can get it open.

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
incolumis said:
It's not a vacuum situation, because I can't even turn the key.
Sure it's your bike and not someone else's :lol

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DanFZ6 said:
Sure it's your bike and not someone else's :lol
:lol

Yeah, it was mine.

A little WD-40 soaking in for about an hour fixed it. I guess there was some corrosion or dirt in the lock.

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
Don't be too quick to discount a vacuum in the fuel tank. At least check the overflow/ relief hose first (throttle side of the bike behind the footpeg). Your problem is too coincidental with you having the tank raised just the day before. The FZ6 fuel pump in the tank has even been known to deform the tank if there's no vacuum relief see here http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8217&highlight=fuel+tank+sucks

cheers .... kimbo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When it did finally open, there was no suction noise, and I filled it twice today and it didn't give me any trouble. I realize now how jammed up the lock was before today.

It's going in for its 8000 mi service in the next week or two, so I'll mention it to them.

Thanks for the heads up. A deformed tank would be no fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts