Sport Bikes banner

Help asap (about buying a bike)

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Stang Man 
#1 ·
Im going to lok at a bike today and i saw a pic and i am almost 100% positive it has a very large dent on the tank, im wondering how important this can be? anything else i should specifically look for?

its a 1987 honda vf500 that im looking at and the guy is selling for $750 he said he was using it for a project bike but deceide he has to many projects, im just a little worried i guess. he says it runs fine and always starts right up.

on e last question how hard would it be to put the fairing back on?

THANKS!

#2 ·
is the fairing broke or is it just off? If its just off then its like 4 screws=easy. A dent in the gas tank is no big deal unless its punctured but you get what you pay for...$750 is a small price to pay for the fun you will have on it

#5 ·
f4igrad said:
a dent in the tank is no big deal at all. In fact, if you have access to a large freezer, you can remove the tank, fill it with water, put the gas cap on it, and then freeze it overnight. That should pop the dent right out.
Thats a good idea...have to pass that one on :headbang

#7 ·
patfitz9 said:
if the dent is the only problem, then it should be a good deal... but that dent most likely came from a crash, so i would try to ride it too to make sure that it runs smoothly.
True with the stated above and to add to it make sure the forks are straight and the frame as well

#8 ·
well i went and looked at it and i can tell you its uglier then sin. all the fairing is off and the chan seemed loose, the tank he said was coated so i should have no worries of rust... but i really couldnt tell. he said if i were to buy it he would be willing to bleed the rear brakes because he says they stick and he would be willing to put all the fairing back on and tighten the chain also. i just dont know i know for 750 i cant expect much i just want a safe ride i could care less how ugly the thing is.

i cant really tell if the frame is bent doesnt seem to have any major bends in it or anything... he says it is but again who knows. also the clutch lever would need replaced he said when he bought it after like a month he dropped in parking lot and the clutch handle snapped... i figure if he fixes all he said he would ill tell him ill buy it after i take a test ride to see if it rides straight. bah decisions!

o and the chain seems kinda stiff from link to link does that mean it needs replaced?

finally it has 48k miles on it

any input would be awesome!

#15 ·
I own an 86 VF500, it was my second bike & first sportbike, it's a lot of fun, but in all honesty it's kind of a pain in the ass unless you have a thing V-Fours. If you're going to buy an Interceptor at all the 500 is definitely the way to go but I would still advise you to be really picky. In my opinion 48k is wayyyyy too much kilometers no matter what the price. If you are going to buy it you must IMMEDIATELY have the valves adjusted because they have probably never been done. This alone is a tricky job that you will probably need to have done at a shop, and it will cost a few hundred bucks from labour. Some bikes can go a long way past their recommended valve adjustment date (50k for the VF) but the 500 Interceptor is just not one of them. It is a very finicky machine this way.

The VF500s were produced from 84-86 so you (or the guy!) is mistaken about the year. The 84-85s are the same; the 86 has an updated motor and is probably the better bike to buy (easiest way to tell is to look at the front fender, fork legs & seat - if it's red it's an 86; go to http://100megsfree4.com/honda/h0500/intercep.htm for pictures of all three) although the 84-85 motor is said to be peppier. It will be hard up to find a VF500 with less than 30k but it is only then that you should start considering buying one. It is a nice bike though, don't get me wrong. They're more powerful in some situations than modern 500 sportbikes in light of the two extra cylinders, less common than the FZs, and fairly sharp looking considering the age of the styling. I like mine. If you have any other questions about this bike feel free to email me. :)

crazyshannon

#16 ·
thanks for all the information guys! i couldnt bring myself to buying the bike after a lot of thought. I'm just gonna try and be patient and find a better deal. i think had i known for a fact the frame was straight and that he wasnt lying about the tank being coated i would of got it. and btw the plastics were in horrid condition. anyways thanks again! and one more question, can you tell a tank has been coated by looking in it?

and of course you guys see any deals around 1k in Northern Va let me know:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.