Sport Bikes banner

Help, Arrrrrgh

593 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  749er 
#1 ·
I recently took my bike in to get a tire put on and now my bike rides like crap in second gear. When I get on it in second gear it sounds like my rear wheel is going to fall off. It does not happen in any of the gears. My bike is a yzf 600r, this type of thing never happened before. Could it be that my clutch plate is wearing out? Anyone? Help me.

#2 ·
Chances are the guy who mounted the tire didn't balance the wheel first.... different "oscillations" will produce different effects... take it back and have him rebalance the tire [with weights].

#3 ·
Just because you say its only in second gear do I have to warn you that it may in fact be a transmission problem. If it feels like its hopping teeth on the sprocket, you got problems.

Now if it is making noise, it should make noise no matter what gear your in and rolling. That only makes sense.

I would be looking into things if I was you

#4 ·
Check the chain tension. If too tight, it may be aggravating a second gear transmission problem (if indeed the problem only happens in second). Could it be that the sound is speed dependent and that speed happens in second? Try to figure out if it's a speed issue and duplicate the problem in either first or third if possible.

#5 ·
i talked to the shop manager and he said i need a drive. He says that my bike is known for this kind of problem and that i need to replace it immediately. He said that second gear is the first to go out and then the rest follows. He quoted me 1000 bucks. Is this an ok diagnosis or is he trying to make some money?

#6 ·
I don't know what a "drive" is. It sounds like they want to replace your transmission. What kind of shop make this suggestion? Bike dealer or independent? I would get a second opinion although it could be that your second gear is starting to go out. Not sure if that's common on the 600r or not.

Are you sure the chain tension is set correctly? Might want to post a question in the Yamaha section of this site or a site specific to your bike. Sorry can't be of more help.

#7 ·
Definitely get a second opinion and check the tire's balance. Check your rear sprocket for unusual wear or a borken tooth and make sure your chain is well lubricated and set to the correct tension(less than an inch of play at you midpoint between sprockets). Try different speeds in second gear and if the niose is at all speeds, then something is probably wrong in you tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.