Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered lowering links and they should be here probly mid week (Wednesday) but then ill be leaving shortly thereafter..does anyone have a rear stand that i could borrow OR does anyone have a clue as to how you put em on? they cant be that hard at all looks like id have to take off the ferrings and use just a wrench doing one side at a time but it looks fairly simple ill be back next week so if anyone could help or has one that i could borrow and ill put em on next weekend (14th/15th) so then i can get riding normal again..and look like this guy >>:smilierr more new smilies! kick ass!anyone's help is appreciated! :lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
I dont know any of you as i am a aaa newbie. If you need a hand please give me a call and i will get you what you need. Do you need a spool stand or a paddle stand? I have them both. 414-397-8125.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
The lowering links replace the "dog bone" in the rear rising rate shock linkage... by decreasing the length of the linkage, the chassis of the motorcycle is moved relative to the suspension range.

Anyway, enough nerding... Likely, the link installs with just two bolts. Unfortunately, and I say this not being farmiliar with the suspension linkage of Yam's, to access the suspension linkage means you may have to remove the swingarm, in which case a rear stand will do fuckall ;-)
A friend removed his rear bodywork and tied the subframe up to the rafters when he replaced his rear bearings (similar procedure) and supported the bike with jack stands.
Anyway - if you can access the dog bone without removing the swingarm - you're in luck, since then you can tie the bike up and articulate the swingarm through it's range of motion (by hydraulic jack) in order to line up the linkage ends.
Does any of this make sense, or am I all wet?

Cheers,

Todd

·
Registered
177 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the swing arm on that bike, but a rear stand won't do you any good in replacing the dog bone.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
uhh okay.. well whatever im supposta do someone know what i need or uhh.. yeah i didnt understand squat of all that... all i know is where they are what they are what they do and how to get to them.. as far as tools and other stuff im screwed..so like i said anyone that has a f'n clue as to what theyre doing let me know =)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've never done it before nor do I have a clue where to start, but I've got plenty of tools, a rear stand and a pair of hands that are willing to help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dont forget to lower your front fork tubesor your handling is realy going to suck. On faster corners you will notice your bike is going to not want to turn in...Instead it will drift out. The math i set up my race suspension is; lower 1.75mm in the rear, lower 1mm in the front. This should balance it out pretty good for the street. How much are you lowering you rear ?

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
Ehh... Easy peasy Japaneesy.

Ive taken off my rear shock more times than I have fingers. Its just 3 bolts holding the whole thing in. But you dont even have to remove the shock in this case.

I have a rear stand and straps to hold up the bike while you disconnect the shock. Its an easy half hour job. If you need help I got everything you need, and a garage with exposed rafters to do it in.

Give me a shout out. I can help you any time after 5 on any weekday, or any weekend you need.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
VTEC_EATER said:
Ehh... Easy peasy Japaneesy.

Ive taken off my rear shock more times than I have fingers. Its just 3 bolts holding the whole thing in. But you dont even have to remove the shock in this case.

I have a rear stand and straps to hold up the bike while you disconnect the shock. Its an easy half hour job. If you need help I got everything you need, and a garage with exposed rafters to do it in.

Give me a shout out. I can help you any time after 5 on any weekday, or any weekend you need.
Do YZF's and FZR's have the same setup?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't forget the kickstand will need to be cut, after lowering it the lean angle will be gone, and the bike will tip over

·
1,752 Posts
Jokertlr said:
Do YZF's and FZR's have the same setup?
Darn tootin' they do.

Good point about the kick stand. Hmm... If thats cut then you probably need to weld some sort of foot to go on the bottom so it doesnt just dig a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
VTEC_EATER said:
Darn tootin' they do.
I'm not arguing the fact because I don't know, but why are the YZF's so damn heavy then, and why don't they handle like FZR's?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Jokertlr said:
I'm not arguing the fact because I don't know, but why are the YZF's so damn heavy then, and why don't they handle like FZR's?
I think I answered my own question but I'll still leave it out there. I am assuming that you mean that the linkages are the same but not the frame etc...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im really happy and glad that people can help cuz i dont know what the hell im doing im kinda "bike illiterate".. if i watch a couple times ill get the hang of it but until then yeah.. clueless.. umm i dunno they have 3 holes so they can be lowered 1 1/2"-3" my front end is already lowered so just until the bike is even i guess?? or to the point where im flat footed? ill be back the 14th/15th so during that time if someone could make some time on sat or sunday id greatly appreciate it cuz the sooner i get this done the better.. the kickstand too .. wonderful! how many other things do i have to do? yeesh! does anyone know how to do all that??

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ooo ooo a welder! yea yea! thats what i need for the kickstand! good deal! could/would you be available the 14th/15th?? thats about the only time i have is on the weekend cuz the crappy hrs i work during the week..the sooner the better but thats when ill be back from the trip =)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Murf99 said:
Does any of this make sense, or am I all wet? Cheers,Todd
haha.. never realized you said that.. i dunno what'd you do? did you get all excited talking about bikes again?? LMAO :lol

·
1,752 Posts
Jokertlr said:
Oh, I wasnt trying to get into an argument. I was just having a Yosemite Sam moment.

YZF's not handle as well as a FZR? Thats new to me. Then again, Ive never rode a Thundercat, so I really have no idea.

Stephanie, I can help, but I dont have the welder. So if thrdrcr has all the stuff it makes a little more sense to do it over there. The 14 or 15th may be a problem for me though. I think I have some sort of Family picnic or something around that time, but I forgot the date.

Keep me posted about what time or day works best and Ill let you know what my schedule looks like.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts