Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 17 years old and am now starting to save for a bike. I am most likely going to get a $1-1.5 bike just to get me started. Would it be a really bad idea to get a loan from a friend (no interest, hes a cool guy) and get it now? Of course I would need gear such as:
-Helmet (150-200 one)
-Mesh jacket (mostly summer riding)
-Decent gloves (looking for a cheap pair here)
-Riding boots (most likely hiking boot look alike or something)
-Anything else you guys can think of for gear to advise. I would rather skip on the pants and just wear jeans... but if riding pants are mandatory in your guys' minds, then I will most likely get em.
I have taken the MSF course and have my permit. Do I need to be 18 to get a license? I have ridden my brother's friends bike, a 650cc old ass Honda (pre-90's) and have done quite well on it. I felt very comfortable on this bike. I would consider myself a good driver also if that counts for anything. I don't drive/ride like a dumb ass either, I'm just trying to learn the right way and fix my mistakes I make when I ride. Any advice is appreciated... I'm, just trying to do this right, lead me in the right direction. :banana

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I personally would stay away from borrowing money from a friend something might occur that could affect the friendship.
You might also want to look into insurance rates before you get a bike just to see how it would fit into your budget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah yes... insurance. forgot about that biggie. Well, I have heard good things about inexpensive bikes though. Pretty low insurance rates monthly, even for a 18-19 year old. I was just throwing the loan thing out there, I most likely won't do that.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Get a 500 and don't take the loan from your friend. I say you could wear jeans most of the people on this board only wear jeans. But always rember it's your ass if/when you go down.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If you have never owned a bike before...pay cash for anything you buy. When you wad it, you do not want to owe payments on something you can't ride.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
dennisred69 said:
you could wear jeans most of the people on this board only wear jeans. But always rember it's your ass if/when you go down.
+1

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
What do you mean when you say you are a "good driver?" Do you mean you're a guy who can go faster and out handle everyone else or do you mean you are a conservative young guy who drives like an old lady? There's a big difference.

Conservative is better. If you have been putting the miles on your car and haven't had too many close scrapes or tickets then getting a bike would be OK. If you've had lots of little accidents or close calls that are always other peoples' fault then stick to your car.

I say this because I have a nephew a little older than you who is a "good driver" and he is someone I would not let anywhere close to a bike.

·
Registered
951 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
What do you mean when you say you are a "good driver?" Do you mean you're a guy who can go faster and out handle everyone else or do you mean you are a conservative young guy who drives like an old lady? There's a big difference.

Conservative is better. If you have been putting the miles on your car and haven't had too many close scrapes or tickets then getting a bike would be OK. If you've had lots of little accidents or close calls that are always other peoples' fault then stick to your car.

I say this because I have a nephew a little older than you who is a "good driver" and he is someone I would not let anywhere close to a bike.
I'm a good driver!

I race as often as I can afford at both the 1/4 mile track, and on road courses like Sebring and Moroso. I drive as fast (and smoothly) as I possibly can, take every turn with the tires wailing, and generally finish closer to the front than I started... Then I leave the race track, and while I can't say I drive like a old lady (is that really a good thing?) I do drive safely, and almost always within the domain of the law.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts