Sport Bikes banner

HELP! 02 R1 Wrecked, Need Mechanic/Advice!

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  yzfkid 
#1 · (Edited)
Two weeks ago I wrecked my 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 when I hit loose gravel deep in a left turn causing the bike to slide on its left side about 15 feet through pavement then coming to rest 10 feet off to the roadside. This bike has means very much to me, and I’d like to get it fixed, but I need professional in-depth assistance in deciding if this is the best thing to do. I am not a mechanic.

The bike was deemed totaled by my insurance adjuster, so I have the option to buy back, or take the money and run (or, buy a new one…. maybe). After my buy back cost, my deductible, and including future titling processes and fees for salvage title stuff, I’ll be left with NO MORE THAN $3,000 to fix it up, and bring it right back up to where it was.

This is where you bike pros come in. Please do NOT reply UNLESS you can explain your statement.

Yes, I realize I can guy it back and sell it, but unless someone wants to buy it for $2,750 + then I probably won’t be interested. (Deductible + buy back). This bike was great.

My hope is to have someone give me some advice, or even (if they are so skilled) fix it up. I’ll be the first to admit that I do not know about buying parts, or fixing it up, I just ride the bike.

BIKE HISTORY:
• Second Owner
• Had ALL warranty services completed ON TIME (Since expired)
• Garage Kept
• Not a scratch on the bike! (until now)

FACTS ABOUT BIKE NOW:
• Will not start (only tried once, may be anything)
• Left side pretty much toasted
• They “said” it looks like the forks are slightly off. I didn’t notice it.
• A little leakage, which could be from being on side, or anything.
• Fairing, Paint, etc.

I have plenty of pictures, and the adjuster’s estimate available, and I’d love to have interested parties come and look at the bike. Whether you think you can fix it, or you have advice on what I should do (or where to buy parts) I’d appreciate your thoughts. Remember, there could be more (or less) wrong with the bike.

WHAT I KNOW:
• People say it will never run (or be) the same. True?
• I don’t have ANY MORE than this (money and information)
• I’ll have to get salvage title?
• Insurance issues? Coverage on prior salvage? Cost of re-inspection from MSHP?
• If it doesn’t look plausible, then I will buy a new bike.

Thanks for your input. If you knew how much this bike meant to me, you’d see why I’m trying to get help. If you can help in either way, please e-mail me or call. I’d like to have this underway within a week or so. Let me know if you’d like to see the estimate and further photographs.

Persons believing they can help may take their time, and I will assist as needed. You could totally have this as a side job – but I’d like it completed within a reasonable time. Obviously, this is the only money I have for PARTS and LABOR, so think wisely.

BIKE LOCATED: Ballwin, MO 63021-7558 (Come take a look)

Starter Pics

Ride Safe,

BJ “******” Lange
******@nolimithonkey.com
323.281.0645 – Leave Message

See less See more
#2 ·
I just bought a smashed r6 and I am rebuilding it better than stock cost me about 1,500 and Im doing it all myself..

I got everything I needed off ebay...

I wouldnt mind helping you work on it or come by and tell you what its going to need...

If you want me to fix it all for you its gonna cost ya though...Time is money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.