Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster. Do any of you have an issue with your helmet sliding back on your head at high speed? Every time I go above ~120mph, the face of my helmet is hard up against the face of my face. Like, I'm full on kissing the inside of my helmet half of the time I'm on a track. Now I know the first thing you are all thinking (I would be too) is "your helmet doesn't fit, DA", but I'm really wearing the tightest helmet I can physically get over my head. My cheekpads are tight enough that I have to be careful not to bite my cheeks when I close my mouth. And I'm wearing a high quality helmet - an Arai RX-7RR, which although 10 years old, has all new foam as of a few months ago. I had the same problem with my last helmet too, which was KBC's best model from a couple years back.

When I watch MotoGP it seems all their cheekpads go around their face right up to the corners of their mouths - can anybody recommend a helmet that would be more like that? I'm looking for a top-line racing lid so I'm willing to spend so money. The problem is, none of the dealers around me carry any of the good stuff to try on!

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Your helmet doesn't fit. It's not just a matter of it being tight or not, there are other elements of the fit like where the chinstrap hits you. I've had helmets with the problem you describe, and others with no problem. Can't give a specific recommendation that doesn't involve trying on and testing.

KeS

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Best fit for me in the bell star and..... I know this is gona shock some people but the Bilt Bluetooth helmet.

There should be a sizing chart online and how to measure your head.

But best advise is to go to a a shop and start trying helmets on until you find one that fits.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
350 Posts
You might want to check youtube for some helmet fitting tutorials. That helmet obviously does not fit you. All helmet manufacturers make helmets for different head shapes. Don't expect them all to fit you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its common problem at high speed. But if you really want to derive your bike at high speed then you use some racing helmets. As they are specially designed for this purpose. With Hans devices integrated with them that'll provide some extra safety in any critical condition.
racing products

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Before you go buy a new helmet, check to see if your brand offers replaceable cheek pads in thicker sizes.

Often they will use the same shell size for 2-3 sizes and use thick or thin cheek pads to make them S,M,L etc

If a medium helmet is loose, order cheek pads for a small.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Its common problem at high speed. But if you really want to derive your bike at high speed then you use some racing helmets. As they are specially designed for this purpose. With Hans devices integrated with them that'll provide some extra safety in any critical condition.
What brands/models are you characterizing as "racing helmets"? HANS devices are almost exclusive to auto environments, most of which have no high-speed aero requirement because open-cockpit racing is the minority.

KeS

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Before you go buy a new helmet, check to see if your brand offers replaceable cheek pads in thicker sizes.

Often they will use the same shell size for 2-3 sizes and use thick or thin cheek pads to make them S,M,L etc

If a medium helmet is loose, order cheek pads for a small.
Cheek pads are not the only differences in helmet sizes when the same shell might be used for 2 sizes (never 3?). The top of the helmet also has to fit the head properly so the energy-absorbing foam up there is often different as well.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I only speak from my experience. I use XS cheek pads on my small Bell Star because it moved around more than I wanted. It fits perfect now.

Obviously this technique wouldn't be useful if the helmet is grossly oversized, because in that case you'd skip down a shell size.

·
Registered
936 Posts
an Arai RX-7RR, which although 10 years old, has all new foam as of a few months ago. I had the same problem with my last helmet too, which was KBC's best model from a couple years back.
The service life of a helmet is 5 years from first wear and this according to Arai who makes these helmets. Five years from first wear or 7 years from manufacture, whichever comes first. Either way, you are waaaay past the service life of that helmet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts