Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing A LOT of reading lately on helmet types. I get it that certain types of head shapes usually prefer or are not compatible with certain brands. Aside from that is the riding type. So I got a new helmet because I remembered a related model being comfy. Well, I was right and wrong.

I've been shopping for a premium helmet for a while. I am tempted to get one designed for riding in the tucked position but it seems like if I do that, ill be hating it when I'm riding normal. I do a lot of comnuting and don't go fast enough to need a tuck in the canyons. I also don't do a lot of time above 80mph when I'm commuting. Does this mean I should get one that's designed for 3/4 position?

I think I want the same as most people, little resistance at speed. I think noise / quietness is not an issue for any modern premium helmet, and I do wear ear plugs. I dont care as much about lightweight as much as aerofynamic so the wind doesnt have a significant effect when riding. What should I get?

I'm a bit confused with all the makes, models, and claimed riding positions....and you can't really test any before a purchase.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Comfort at speed usually relates to low drag and low "lift". I've had helmets in the past that seemed they wanted to pull of the top of my head. Ugh. Being able to turn your head at speed without the visor opening or the air resistance trying to twist your neck are also plusses. What kind of helmet is that? Having all that be OK only while in a tuck would seem to get tiring.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I think with your bike any full face sporting helmet should be fine. My Bell RS1 worked great on my Tuono when tucked or sitting normally, and that is a lot more upright than your BMW. With the Tiger it is noticeably louder and has some lift, but that is with a bolt upright riding position. And it's still not bad enough to get my cheap ass to buy a new helmet.

I really like the RS1,it's a great value. In fact it's so good that the new Bell Star, which is the top level Bell, was just redesigned to have the same shell shape because people actually preferred the lower level RS1. Plus you can get the transitions visor, which I can't live without now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Joe Rocket open face Carbon Fiber;
Joe Rocket RKT Carbon Pro Carbon Fiber Weave Open Face Motorcycle Helmet : Amazon.com : Automotive
I have one and love it. I wear an Xpeed CF3000 when it's cold or looks like it's going to rain but for warm days the open face is better. Plus any 'new' helmet is going to conform to DOT 2 standard.
CDC - NPPTL - NIOSH Anthropometric Data and ISO Digital Headforms

I can't find it anywhere but word-of-mouth (AKA rumor) has the new standards having a smaller neck opening to protect more of the upper spine. Both my Carbon Fiber helmets are hard to get on. They fit good once on. Getting them past my ears can be fun. Of course fiberglass and poly have a lot more give to them then Carbon Fiber.
The Joe Rocket weighs 3.0 pounds. I'll bet your cowboy hat weighs more then that. :dramatic

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I just picked up a fly paradigm for $90. Carbon-Kevlar composite shell.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
I have a shoei-shaped head so that's what I always gravitate toward. Two years go I threw out my X-11 and upgraded to a multitech with a flip up chin bar. Easily the best thing I've ever done for my riding comfort. It's so nice to be able to flip up from a full face when I stop and want to quickly talk to somebody. I don't ever ride with it flipped up for safety's sake, but I'm always flipping it up at stoplights, getting gas, things like that.

The other thing it has is the built in flip down shade that you actuate with a lever. I will NEVER own another helmet without that feature. On the X-11 I had to swap to a shaded shield which is absolutely retarded for commuting daily. Now I can ride in to work with the shade up in the AM when it's dark, and when it's sunny on the way home I just flip the lever to lower the shade.

As far as comfort and noise are concerned, the multitech is heads and shoulders above the X-11 was despite the similar price. It also ventilated better.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I wear prescription goggles. The inner lens is a transition type that automatically darkens with brighter sun, then lightens when the light dims. The outer (non-prescription) lens are mirrored (blue to match my bike) and change a little as the sun changes.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the one that fits your head the best. The rest doesn't matter.
Turbulence matters to me. Clarity of visors matter to me. Ventilation matters to me. Sound from wind matters to me.

Guess what? It matters to most people. Some people use their helmets for more than just bike nights, starbucks, and other 'look at me riding' type rides. I ride track, canyons, and commute to work. You dont matter.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe Rocket open face Carbon Fiber;
Joe Rocket RKT Carbon Pro Carbon Fiber Weave Open Face Motorcycle Helmet : Amazon.com : Automotive
I have one and love it. I wear an Xpeed CF3000 when it's cold or looks like it's going to rain but for warm days the open face is better. Plus any 'new' helmet is going to conform to DOT 2 standard.
CDC - NPPTL - NIOSH Anthropometric Data and ISO Digital Headforms

I can't find it anywhere but word-of-mouth (AKA rumor) has the new standards having a smaller neck opening to protect more of the upper spine. Both my Carbon Fiber helmets are hard to get on. They fit good once on. Getting them past my ears can be fun. Of course fiberglass and poly have a lot more give to them then Carbon Fiber.
The Joe Rocket weighs 3.0 pounds. I'll bet your cowboy hat weighs more then that. :dramatic
i dont even know if i'm going to process any more of your stupid posts anymore. kinda hard to waste time reading your dumb shit given your recent roll of complete nonsense, and 'thank'ing mr 'get anything that fits'.

somehow i doubt your still ride, or if you do, you're safe to other cagers/rider. you really seem lost in space. when i have more energy (just got home from canyons, unwinding with this forum) i'll be sure to put you two idiots on ignore.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Comfort at speed usually relates to low drag and low "lift". I've had helmets in the past that seemed they wanted to pull of the top of my head. Ugh. Being able to turn your head at speed without the visor opening or the air resistance trying to twist your neck are also plusses. What kind of helmet is that? Having all that be OK only while in a tuck would seem to get tiring.
the helmet i got is a very old model that was on super-clearance. i dont know why i bought it, but my HJC FS-15 is back on active duty for me. what an improvement!

i've been wanting to get a premium helmet but as mentioned, it will serve more than just tuck or 3/4 position so I want to make sure if I blow more than $400 on one, its going to last and serve me well.

HJCs have been decent for me, maybe i'll just go with their RPHA line. i also thought about the schuberth pro c10 or something but i dont think a lot of the people who praise that model are the tuck or 90+ mph types. Shoei RF1200 is another I'm considering, only because its so well reputed. I dont remember arais fitting me well.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
i dont even know if i'm going to process any more of your stupid posts anymore. kinda hard to waste time reading your dumb shit given your recent roll of complete nonsense, and 'thank'ing mr 'get anything that fits'.

somehow i doubt your still ride, or if you do, you're safe to other cagers/rider. you really seem lost in space. when i have more energy (just got home from canyons, unwinding with this forum) i'll be sure to put you two idiots on ignore.
Personally, I think it is more of a reflection of your reading skills;
"Get the one that fits your head the best. The rest doesn't matter." Is what was written.
What you read was; 'get anything that fits'.
It isn't my fault you have problems reading. Blame the schools in California.
While air flow is your hot button, that is far from universal. I have a real fairing that directs the wind up and over, not a cute little fly screen that doesn't come up high enough to offer any protection. Plus I know enough to look UNDER my arm instead of sticking my head up into the slipscreen.
Fit is important for EVERYBODY. THat is why it is the first criteria when buying a helmet.
I doubt that you are smart enough to notice but the guys that spend 8 to 10 hours a day on motorcycles in all weather, year around, wear half helmets. Ever seen a cop in a full face? There is a reason you won't.
I ride, although not very well. I could care less how safe I am. Some of us are big boys and look out for ourselves. You are not my brother and I am not your keeper.
Thank God!:clap

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
PCH, you're screwed. What you say is right on, who knows how a helmet is going to work for you until you buy it and use it a while. And even then, it may not work as well on a new bike with a different riding position.

The talk of head shape and general reviews of fit and feel can only narrow your field a bit.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2old, did you even read my reply to jaxx before typing your...very stereotypical old man rant? no. well, good news. i'm usually bored enough to be entertained by you - i dont think i could put you on ignore.
PCH, you're screwed. What you say is right on, who knows how a helmet is going to work for you until you buy it and use it a while. And even then, it may not work as well on a new bike with a different riding position.

The talk of head shape and general reviews of fit and feel can only narrow your field a bit.
Guess so but I was hoping people with the same head shape (HJC fit) would be able to tell me something that was modular like the FS-15 but better. Fuck it, my commute will be a few miles by next month and maybe by then what I'll really need is a half helmet like those busa and cruiser guys wear. :topsecret

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice collection. I'm concerned now though because I don't remember suomys and arais fitting my skull well. I guess on paper it weighs more than x, y, and z at one of the stores I went to but I felt like it was the lightest.

How does it hold up at freeway speeds (turbulence)?

I like the bang for buck factor also. I know older helmets get louder and that I drop them once in a while so I don't expect many years from mine. If anything, I've normally given away helmets without even trying to sell them once I deem them 'old'.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
So you would rather wear a more aerodynamic/less turbulent helmet that fits worse than another helmet?

I look at most features on helmets these days as 90% marketing and gimmicks. Look at these super cool fins that cut drag by 0.0005% and vents that flow 3% more air!!!

I wear my helmet for track days, canyons and commuting and aerodynamics don't mean shit unless you have the neck of a high school cheer leader

·
Rider
101 Posts
Replaced my RF1000 with a HJC IS-33 a couple years ago, an open face with built in full shield and dropdown sun shield. My head only turns about half as far as it use to and with the wider picture window width of the opening on the IS-33 and my good peripheral vision I find it a good trade off safety wise. I'd hang up the helmet if I couldn't see them coming from any/all directions. :)

Enjoyed the age banter above, I did my fastest riding in the mountain twisties at age 70 although I've slowed way down in the decade since. Only got started at age 52.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I went down to cycle gear and tried on every stinkin lid they make.

It seemed I was inbetween many sizes.

Had my heart set a RF-1200 but it fit like crap.

Tried the Arai and the lining was much softer and comfy then the Shoei but my head did not fit it well.

Ended up with a tight fitting RF-1100 that I am pretty happy about.

Getting down and trying them all, is the only way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts