Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm helmet shopping after receiving the total loss insurance check from the R6 being ran over at work. I've tried quite a few on but need more in depth input from people who actually own these helmets.
I'm looking at ALL brands and models at this point
I've seen AGV with some nice reasonable priced stuff,
I like: Shoei rf 1k and 1100, arai rx7, icon variant, FLY (forgot the model but similar to the icon), AGV (liked a lot of them)
I'm not very specific for wanting to be open minded on what I buy. Please shoot a response based off the experience you have with your helmet.
Wind noise, overall looks, quality, longevity etc...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
the RF1000 is an older model they don't make anymore. they are good for 7 years from man date though. (shoei's warranty period)
unless you find one brand new for a killer price. don't bother looking too hard at them.

I like the new shoei GT-Air journey TC-2 helmet.

I like shoei helmets. I have the rf1000. nothing but top notch. nothing has worn out or broke on it. I've had it since about spring of 06. it's getting time to find a new one.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
You can be overwhelmed if you don't limit it somehow. What price range? The brands you mention (and even models) can have different fits, so unless you are personally familiar with one, try to get one in your hands and on your head.

I know people say certain helmets are loud or whatever, but a lot of that is based on your bike and your head, so keep that in mind as you get feedback.

IMHO:

I wouldn't buy icon
Shoei, you can't go wrong with rf1100 or x12
Arai, again you can't go wrong
AGV, I find more of a racing fit (my experience with with GP tech) and I like that.

You have left off two I have, Bell and Suomy. Bell is very well made, but I find more "street" and open. The Suomy is also more of a race fit, which is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I have a Bell RS1 that is my favorite helmet of all time. The transitions shield is amazing, the helmet is also very comfortable and durable, been wearing this one daily for over a year and it still fits great, doesn't smell, and everything works. I also love the magnetic strap holder.

I had an AGV Ti-Tech that I crashed in. It worked really well in the crash, but I found the helmet uncomfortable for long rides. It was like they forgot to make room for your ears so your ears were crushed the whole time you had it on and they eventually got sore. The quality of the helmet was amazing though, awesome plush liner and super lightweight.

Reactions: The Predator

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Exactly my complaint about my AGV GP Tech, No Coast. I like the fit of my Shark RSi much more than my GP Tech because after 3 hours in the tech my ears are sore. It's also heavier than my Shark by a small amount, and the visor is much lower quality, it'd seem. It is thinner, and doesn't seal correctly against the weather stripping on the helmet, so I get a whistle through the seal. Constantly. I can actually take and tap on the visor when it is closed, and feel it move, then bottom out against the weather stripping.

In contrast, my shark visor is thicker, and seals firmly against the weather stripping. Now I haven't had a leak in the AGV yet, so maybe I am imagining things in that regard, but something is up.

OP:
I'd check out Shark helmets. my RSi was 184 bucks on closeout, and today I took it out instead of my GP Tech, which was 600. And it's going to be a tough sell on which to use more, honestly. I never tried one on before I bought mine, I used the Shark sizing chart, and measured my head a few times for accuracy.
my next helmet (perhaps as soon as summer of next season if I can't get the GP Tech to work out like I want with different cheek pads, visor, etc) will be a Shark. no questions asked.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I have a Bell RS1 that is my favorite helmet of all time. The transitions shield is amazing, the helmet is also very comfortable and durable, been wearing this one daily for over a year and it still fits great, doesn't smell, and everything works. I also love the magnetic strap holder.

I had an AGV Ti-Tech that I crashed in. It worked really well in the crash, but I found the helmet uncomfortable for long rides. It was like they forgot to make room for your ears so your ears were crushed the whole time you had it on and they eventually got sore. The quality of the helmet was amazing though, awesome plush liner and super lightweight.

I absolutely hate the magnetic strap holder on my Bell off road helmet. Magnets have strong opposing strength, but very little lateral. Once the strap catches your collar it pulls free. Stupid. A snap works much better. I tuck it back up into the padding. It's the main reason I bought a Shoei off road. I find Shoei to be the best helmets I have ever owned and we have 4 in the gear closet currently.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I absolutely hate the magnetic strap holder on my Bell off road helmet. Magnets have strong opposing strength, but very little lateral. Once the strap catches your collar it pulls free. Stupid. A snap works much better. I tuck it back up into the padding. It's the main reason I bought a Shoei off road. I find Shoei to be the best helmets I have ever owned and we have 4 in the gear closet currently.
Interesting, I've never had that problem with mine, but all my jackets have a mandarin collar so they're really low cut. I like the magnet because I can take the helmet on and off with gloves on easily.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I love my bell rs1 with transition shield. The magnet strap is really convenient. One out of 5 rides it will catch my jacket collar and come loose but it take a half second to reattach it even when moving. Not really a problem imo

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have the Shoei RF1100. If it fits your head then it's definitely a good choice, and you can also buy a Pinlock system for it if you're interested.

It has good airflow to the face (either through the chin vent or with the shield adjustor all the way forward to barely open it) and through the top of the helmet. I can't say it's the best, and I've heard HJC helmets flow more air. But, when it's hot and they're open you can feel it.

I also think it has a good range of vision, especially when looking up.

It's a little noisy at highway speeds, especially with the vents open, so wear earplugs if you're going to do a lot of fast riding. I don't think it's much noisier than most of the helmets out there though.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I have a Bell Star with the Transitions shield from STG and I LOVE it.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I love my bell rs1 with transition shield. The magnet strap is really convenient. One out of 5 rides it will catch my jacket collar and come loose but it take a half second to reattach it even when moving. Not really a problem imo

Maybe. But a snap works just as well. It's a gimmick IMO. I wear the Bell if I go mudding since I don't care for it much. My Shoei is a better off road helmet.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I always wear Shoei....they fit my round ass head well. If I could find another brand that fit the same I would give it a look. Agv's don't fit well for me and some Arai's work great.....hit or miss with them for me. You have to try them on to find the brand that fits you best.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Definitely "try before you buy" when it comes to helmets. If I'd taken the universally accepted advice of going up a size for the pre-2010 Bell Star or the Suomy Excel (formally Spec 1R Extreme), I'd have 2 helmets that would be too big to be an effective track helmet. Once the foam conformed to my head, the Bell (had a couple of hotspots for the first couple hundred miles) and Suomy (perfect firm fit right out of the box) are honestly the best fitting helmets I've ever had (also have had X-11,X-12, and AGV K3).

I do/did like the X-12, but the fit and venting of the Star and Excel make them the best ones I've owned so far.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Did you find the Bell fit similar to the Shoei?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The model year Star I have is before they redesigned the sizing to be more along the mainstream helmet manufacturers. I never really experienced anything bad with the X-12 in Medium, (though I could tell it was minor lifting on the straights at RA and BIR last year compared to now being much faster and having no lift with the Suomy or Bell) but after getting the size S (remember pre-2010 ran smaller than the current line of Star) dialed in it feels like M in the other brands feels a tad too large. Peanut head strikes again....

The post-2010 Star is much more aligned with the other major brands now...if you're a M in Shoei/Arai/HJC/etc, a M should be perfect in a newer Star.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
That's funny, I really dig mine because I don't have to mess around making sure that the strap doesn't fly around.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
That's funny, I really dig mine because I don't have to mess around making sure that the strap doesn't fly around.
I've never had a strap unsnap itself, but the magnet can be slid free with very little effort. Pulling it apart is tough, but they have almost no lateral strength. It is enough of an annoyance that I'll never own another one. If you like yours, then it's the right helmet for you. I thought about just gluing velcro to each end to fix the slipping, but just tucking the strap up into the padding works ok. Maybe the strap for an on road helmet works better then the off road because of how it sits on the head. Don't know. I have had no issues with Shoei so I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had an RF-1100, and it was great. I now have an AGV GP-Tech, and I like it better. If you are between sizes, the AGV runs a little snug. I am too big for a small Shoei, but the medium was not quite as tight as I would have liked. The AGV medium fits great. I've had none of the problems described in this thread with it... Although it is exclusively a track helmet for me, so I only wear it about half an hour at a time.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts