Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
tattoofizz said:
Given the results of these extensive safety tests, I'm now looking to trade the Arai in for a Z1R-ZRP-1.
I went out, after reading this article, and started trying on new helmets. I've tried a lot and I still haven't found one that is as comfortable as my ARAI. I think I'm going to stick with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually my concern too. It took me years of discomfort to break down and spend the cash on my Arai and it is the most comfy helmet I've ever owned. My HJC kills after about 15 miles. I figure if I buy the ZRP-1 and it's uncomfortable, I will only be out about 80 bucks. Hopefully it will feel good-if not, I'll wear it for shorter rides.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also read that article online, it was a real eye opener. As an off-road racer for years I've fallen hard on my head a number of times and have actually "cracked" two helmets and thrown 5 away due to crash damage. I've always been very attentive to helmet issues, but have always thought more expensive was likely better. I was very impressed with the reporters methodology and data, so much so that I went out and bought a couple of the Z1R helmets for my wife and I. My regular street helmet is an HJC, but I've owned Bell, Simpson and Shoei's. The Z1R is not as comfortable as all but the Simpson (which was the worst fitting helmet I've ever owned). The Z1R seems to skimp a bit on padding for the front of my head, so there is a hot spot about 4" above my eyebrows. It is by no means unbearable and I don't regret the purchase at all. I might try putting a little extra foam in there, but in my experience this doesn't solve the problem as well as I'd like. The helmet will be fine for the shorter rides that constitute 90% of my riding, but I'll keep my HJC for multiday tours, anything shorter and the Z1R will be on my head. As the recipient of a number of bonks on my head, I highly recommend this article... read it and decide for yourself.

Regards,
Wardo

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
wardo said:
I also read that article online, it was a real eye opener. As an off-road racer for years I've fallen hard on my head a number of times and have actually "cracked" two helmets and thrown 5 away due to crash damage. I've always been very attentive to helmet issues, but have always thought more expensive was likely better. I was very impressed with the reporters methodology and data, so much so that I went out and bought a couple of the Z1R helmets for my wife and I. My regular street helmet is an HJC, but I've owned Bell, Simpson and Shoei's. The Z1R is not as comfortable as all but the Simpson (which was the worst fitting helmet I've ever owned). The Z1R seems to skimp a bit on padding for the front of my head, so there is a hot spot about 4" above my eyebrows. It is by no means unbearable and I don't regret the purchase at all. I might try putting a little extra foam in there, but in my experience this doesn't solve the problem as well as I'd like. The helmet will be fine for the shorter rides that constitute 90% of my riding, but I'll keep my HJC for multiday tours, anything shorter and the Z1R will be on my head. As the recipient of a number of bonks on my head, I highly recommend this article... read it and decide for yourself.

Regards,
Wardo
I haven't read the entire article yet, but I was once told that up to a certain point you're paying for quality and safety. After that point you're paying for paint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't trust just one article. There is a reason why a $80 helmet is $80 dollars and $200 helmet is $200 dollars. How much R&D do you think goes into a $80 helmet? Just because one article lists it as better than the rest, IMO doesn't mean jack. Remember, you pay for what you get. There's a reason why Superbike racers are wearing Shoei and Arai helmets and not the Wally world bargain.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
CerebralAssassin said:
I wouldn't trust just one article. There is a reason why a $80 helmet is $80 dollars and $200 helmet is $200 dollars. How much R&D do you think goes into a $80 helmet? Just because one article lists it as better than the rest, IMO doesn't mean jack. Remember, you pay for what you get. There's a reason why Superbike racers are wearing Shoei and Arai helmets and not the Wally world bargain.
With the more expensive helmets, you're paying more for features, fit, and paint than you're paying for safety.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I haven't read the entire article yet, but I was once told that up to a certain point you're paying for quality and safety. After that point you're paying for paint.
hmmmmm, my Arai is black with no graphics, I guess I REALLY got ripped off. :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
111 Posts
That would be the diff from a $200 helmet to a $500 helmet as far as paint and design. I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that my life is depending on a $90 helmet just because one article says it's better. I'm in the computer network field and I can show you a lot of "independent studies" that will show MS better than Linux and vice versa. Depends on who funds the testing. That is why I don't trust articles like that. As I said before, if Superbike riders are wearing Shoei and Arai, then it should be good enough for riders like myself.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
CerebralAssassin said:
That would be the diff from a $200 helmet to a $500 helmet as far as paint and design. I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that my life is depending on a $90 helmet just because one article says it's better. I'm in the computer network field and I can show you a lot of "independent studies" that will show MS better than Linux and vice versa. Depends on who funds the testing. That is why I don't trust articles like that. As I said before, if Superbike riders are wearing Shoei and Arai, then it should be good enough for riders like myself.
can i jump to the conclusion that you are saying wal-mart donated more money to the magazine than Arai. i think the magazine funded it, what would they gain from saying a cheaper helmet is better than a more expensive helmet? i will guess that more people will take an objective look at helmets, maybe more studies will come out. all you need is one, to stir the pot, then others will jump on board.

i would guess, that if anything, they said the cheap one is better just for controversy...but thats as crazy as saying walmart donated money.

they took an objective look at helmets, and thats it. they don't tell you which helmet to use, thats up to the reader. they give info, you take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I read the article and the response when they came out. Seems like a lot of it is still up in the air. I definitely don't think Snell is as worthless as MC makes it out to be. I still wear a Snell helmet for the time being. The expensive helmet thing...professional racers wear what they're paid to wear. And so far as R&D it's not the only factor in price, also consider where it is manufactured; Japan or Europe ($$) versus Korea or China.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 to Fraggle

They are telling you which helmet to buy, but indirectly. Look at the more expensive helmets like Arai, Scorpion and HJC (all Snell certified), they are all close to or exceeding 200. The article is written IMO to discount SNELL. How else do you explain their test of DOT only helmets being better than those certified by SNELL. Those are the same type of people who told the world that milk was bad for you. And to stop eating eggs. As you can see in the above posts, one person is already ready to trade in their "unsafe" Arai helmet for an $80 helmet.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
IMHO it was written to be provocative and boost circulation. This theory is supported by:

- it's coincidence with a magazine makover
- the fact that the editors still wear Arai and Shoei
- the fact that they couldn't seem to find one critical letter to reprint about it
- the short shrift given to Snell in the article.
- the longstanding work and leadership of the Snell Foundation.

Although the possibility exists that everything in the article is spot-on, the possibility also exists that I am right. So I'm sticking with the nonprofit research foundation that's protected my noggin for thirty years.

Motorcyclist clearly has better writers than Snell. For my money, Snell has better scientists than Motorcyclist.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CerebralAssassin said:
Hmmmm-guess I should trade the fizzer in for that Electraglide...must be twee times better cuz it's twee times more expensive!! Ya get whatcha pay fer right?? :banana

·
Registered
111 Posts
tattoofizz said:
Hmmmm-guess I should trade the fizzer in for that Electraglide...must be twee times better cuz it's twee times more expensive!! Ya get whatcha pay fer right?? :banana
If you want to go that far, which would your prefer, a Kia or a Honda? Honda or a BMW?

Difference between reasonably priced given the reputation and uniqueness of an item/company and overpriced strictly because of name brand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CerebralAssassin said:
If you want to go that far, which would your prefer, a Kia or a Honda? Honda or a BMW?

Difference between reasonably priced given the reputation and uniqueness of an item/company and overpriced strictly because of name brand.
That's a great point. I had never heard of the "winning" helmet before this article, but everyone knows about SHOEI, Arai, and HJC- I would consider the three of them name brands in the bike helmet biz. And now that the ZR1 helmet has received all this good press, betcha we will see that $80 helmet price rise.

P.S.- Research has shown that if used the exact same way, tupperware lasts longer than China!!! :) Just a joke but I'm sure we could find multiple examples of cheap things working better than expensive things and vice versa. Could be true in helmets too. Or not. I just hope none of us has to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hear ya on finding out the hard way. On the net, I found a review on a Shoei helmet of a guy that took a spill at 50mph and no head injury, same with a review on an Arai helmet. I guess you pay for reputation as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Allot of good points made all around, as I concluded in my last post, read the article and decide for yourself. Personally, I found the data and conclusions compelling. I might add that for off-road racing I will continue to wear a Snell certified helmet for two reasons: 1) Some of the organizations I compete in, like SCORE require Snell certification, 2) I am more likely to take a high speed head hit racing through trees or in Baja then on the road. This may seem counterintuitive, but it has allot to do with the risks I am taking while racing versus on the road. In the Baja 1000 I did a ten mile stretch off-road where I was never below 100mph... of course the last helmet I wrote off this June, I was going around 18mph before my bike and I parted company. Ultimately I am making my decision on what sort of accident I believe I am most likely to have in each setting, and then tayloring my helmet to that.

Regards,
Ward

1 - 19 of 19 Posts