Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My helmet lock

A couple people had asked that I post these pictures to show how I "lock" my helmet to my bike. I can't find the thread that asked for it, so I'm making a new one!

I used a steel cable, wrapped around the hinge of the tank. I run the cable through the chin of my helmet, and set the clip for the cable so that it's under the seat when I put it back on. There's not enough room to rotate the cable to get to the clip, so it's locked on.

It's highly advisable to use a plastic coated cable though, as the bare metal is starting to chew things up a little bit (an upgrade is in the mix, but this was a quick and cheap fix).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
before installing a more permanent locking mechanism, I used the same type of helmet lock cable and attached it to the side of the bike. (obviously removed it before riding)

Attachments

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
This is a very good solution to this annoying problem. I have some 1/4" vinyl-coated wire rope lying around so I will copy your idea tomorrow.
Bravo and thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hippie said:
before installing a more permanent locking mechanism, I used the same type of helmet lock cable and attached it to the side of the bike. (obviously removed it before riding)
Mine doesn't require a lock. It uses the seat to prevent removal of the helmet.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Mine doesn't require a lock. It uses the seat to prevent removal of the helmet.
So you must remove the seat to remove the helmet?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hippie said:
So you must remove the seat to remove the helmet?
Yes, but it also gives me a place to store the cable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I saw a 2004 FZ1 last night at the local bike meet and it had a helmet lock on the side of the bike. Why doesn't the FZ6 have one? Do they make a helmet lock for th FZ6?

I didn't know where to lock my helmet to on the bike.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
You can buy an aftermarket one. It looks aftermarket though.

I might buy one but wan't to see if I could put it under the seat as it fixes around any tube (of which the FZ6 has around the wheel area) and also under the seat.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out jcwhitney.com for helmet locks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Also see cheap mods thread. I find the pad lock (you pick the quality) works well.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
karst said:
Also see cheap mods thread. I find the pad lock (you pick the quality) works well.
That's true.

I used a gun lock (got it free when I bought my .22) to lock mine to the rear peg.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've got a cable lock for my computer. I loop it and lock it with a padlock, very secure, and it can be a jacket lock too.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Try a different link. That one didn't work.

Let's try this -> LINK

If that doesn't work, do a search for item # 4557727122

Definitely a good idea for a cruiser. If it weren't for the chrome, it might be workable somewhere on our bikes as well. I didn't look on the bike for somewhere to put it.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crx81 said:
Let's try this -> LINK

If that doesn't work, do a search for item # 4557727122

Definitely a good idea for a cruiser. If it weren't for the chrome, it might be workable somewhere on our bikes as well. I didn't look on the bike for somewhere to put it.
That's an interesting idea. The hot chick was a nice, but unneccessary touch.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FZSilver said:
Thats a good design for a helmet lock. I'm also not big on the chrome. Would the chrome sandblast off?
It should, but you'd want to be careful not to get any into the lockign mechanism.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts