Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new FZ6 (blue cause its faster!!) on Thursday. This is my first street bike, as with quite a few other FZ6 owners. I am wondering if there is not a lock on this bike for a helmet, or if I am just looking past it. Any help here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm afraid you've been given some bad info - the silver is actually faster :)

and no - there is no helmet lock. There is a thread in the archives with pics of some aftermarket locks that attach to the handlebars. Try a search when the archives are back up - or someone may have a link to who sells them.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey wasp how do you carry that around with you, doesn't look small enough for under the seat action....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got the one G8torBlue got, but I mounted mine on the right side passenger footpeg mounting bar. The passenger peg bar is 3/4 inch, and the lock is for a 7/8 inch bar, so I had to put some 1/16 inch vinyl tubing to take up the slack. Works slick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I didn't know there were so many choices for helmet locks. I really didn't know that there was an option if a bike didn't come with one.

Thanks again

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is another choice for the financially challenged ... I use one of the Cable type gun locks ... I shot IPSC matches for years and there was always some group giving them away ... the state of IL gives them away at police stations often ... they are all plastic coated to protect guns works for bikes as well

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is another choice for the financially challenged ... I use one of the Cable type gun locks ... I shot IPSC matches for years and there was always some group giving them away ... the state of IL gives them away at police stations often ... they are all plastic coated to protect guns works for bikes as well
That is a great idea....Thanks!! I have a few of them hanging around.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
ripthenightopen said:
hey wasp how do you carry that around with you, doesn't look small enough for under the seat action....
You just coil it up...fits right under the seat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ernesto don't listen to the cheap shots of the (not a real color) owners everyone here knows the blue ones are faster but they do sell a speedohealer that will slow them down. When I saw these online I actually thought the silver looked better, but in person they looked pail next to the blue and on a cloudy day kind of grayish. Since much of the trim on both is silver it makes the silver ones look like they got cheated out of a color or at least a pinstrip job! With the blue all that it needs is that warning sticker taken off the gas tank, like the air bag will ever go off!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Charlie!!!

If you take off the airbag sticker don't forget to turn the passenger side airbag selector to the "OFF" position!

Don't want that going off unexpectedly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just my two cents here:

I found that I could "lock" two helmets under the seat where the two silver tabs stick in towards middle of the bike that support the two rubber cushions (on the underside of the seat). All I had to do was do up the chin straps on the helmets (with alot of slack) loop them around those silver tabs and put the seat back on (with a little more force than usual). Voila! so long as the metal d rings on the chin straps are not in the way of the lip of the seat it will close nicely and there isn't alot of room for anyone to mess with the straps (cut them or whatever). It's worked great and to be honest I was angry when I couldn't find a helmet lock that would fit, but now that I found this I'm happy that 1) I didn't have to spend the money 2) I can "lock" 2 helmets and 3) I don't need to carry or worry about another key!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the blue all that it needs is that warning sticker taken off the gas tank, like the air bag will ever go off!
How do you remove that without damaging the paint. I started to try and peel it but it won't come off in one piece. I don't want to damage the paint. Any tricks here would be appriciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ernesto said:
How do you remove that without damaging the paint. I started to try and peel it but it won't come off in one piece. I don't want to damage the paint. Any tricks here would be appriciated.
Try this thread http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1716&highlight=stickers

I just used my fingernail on the tank sticker and a credit card on the swingarm stickers (frame sticker came right off for me). WD40 to get the rest of the goo off. And don't forget to throw in a little patience - one of the swingarm stickers was especially time consuming for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ernesto said:
Park your bike in the hot sun, or use a hairdryer (or heatgun on a lower setting) to get the adhesive heated up. Start with a corner and pull very slowly. Those stickers are a huge pain in the ass because they break very easy. Once I got about 1/2" peeled up in one piece, I was able to pull it off in one piece. It takes some patience, but you can do it. Use some Goo Gone or WD40 to clean off any residue.

You can do the same with the stickers on the swingarm and the frame under the throttle. Took me about an hour to do all of them and it was quite frustrating, but my bike is nice and clean.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Elkymutt, do you just put the strap over the tab because what would stop someone from just unbuckling the strap and stealing it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ernesto said:
I just got my new FZ6 (blue cause its faster!!) on Thursday. This is my first street bike, as with quite a few other FZ6 owners. I am wondering if there is not a lock on this bike for a helmet, or if I am just looking past it. Any help here would be appreciated.

I WOULD NOT USE OR WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A HELMET LOCK. I HAVE HAD A HELMET STOLEN FROM ME, THEY CUT THE STRAP AND STOLE THE HELMET. FROM NOW ON I DONT CARE WHERE I AM I TAKE THE HELMET IN WITH ME.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts