Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, When i'm on the highway and check my blindspot/look back to the lane im gunna change into my lid flyes up and the wind (and all kinds of other junk) blasts my eyes. I then have to force my eyes to stay open even though they have shit in them and take one hand off the handle bars to close the lid so more shit doesnt fly in. Can I fix/adjust my current helmet to not do this or should I get a new one?

Also, Could you rate my gear:

Jacket:Motoboss textile jacket w/ CE on elbows, shoulders and back ($130 after tax).
-Doesnt seem to have that much of a name but the guys in the store said its much better than joe rocket (I didnt want joe rocket, just wanted to get a comparason).

Helmet: CTS Helmet, its DOT certified but other than that I've never heard or seen a CTS helmet before, it seems to be pretty good quality other than the shield that keeps popping up when I look over my shoulder. (free came w/ bike)

Gloves: Teknic Chicane (old style) $21 after tax.

Boots: Walmart steel toed work boots (Brutus II to be specific), its their 2nd to cheapest steel toe boot. (free, bought for when i worked construction)

Pants: No pants as of yet, I want to get some that are textile w/ CE (or better if there is) knee pads, maybe something that has shin/hip protection as well. Not looking to spend a whole lot (under 150 including shipping). I'm open to recommendations.

I know leather is alot better, but i'll have a heat stroke in texas heat, and thats why I'm using mesh.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
My helmet does that on the highway. Both my AFX and Shoie. So it's not the helmet brand. I don't really know of anything that would fix it yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
dennisred69 said:
My helmet does that on the highway. Both my AFX and Shoie. So it's not the helmet brand. I don't really know of anything that would fix it yet.
Edit: I thought we were talking actual helmet and not the lid...Shoei should have a lock for the visor (at least my x-11 does)...

·
Registered
452 Posts
My old HJC helmet used to do that. I think it was because the plastic pieces that attached the visor to the helmet weren't designed well... the visor should "snap" closed. My current helmet (KBC) doesn't have this problem. I'm not sure if you can fix it. You can maybe try contacting the helmet company and see if they have replacement parts, otherwise, what do you expect for free? :)

As far as rating your gear...

Your jacket should be fine for normal street riding. Leather would give you maximum abrasion protection, but like you said, can get very hot in the summer. CE armor is always a good feature in a jacket.

I've never heard of that helmet brand either, but that doesn't mean that it isn't good. I would say that you should consider getting one that is Snell certified when you choose to replace it.

Gloves seem adequate for street riding.

Do not wear steel-toe boots for riding. Leather boots is great, but steel-toe plates can actually be more of a hazard than a protection.

For pants, check out www.newenough.com. They have some really good deals on riding pants... some that even will fit over your regular pants.

stope said:
Hey guys, When i'm on the highway and check my blindspot/look back to the lane im gunna change into my lid flyes up and the wind (and all kinds of other junk) blasts my eyes. I then have to force my eyes to stay open even though they have shit in them and take one hand off the handle bars to close the lid so more shit doesnt fly in. Can I fix/adjust my current helmet to not do this or should I get a new one?

Also, Could you rate my gear:

Jacket:Motoboss textile jacket w/ CE on elbows, shoulders and back ($130 after tax).
-Doesnt seem to have that much of a name but the guys in the store said its much better than joe rocket (I didnt want joe rocket, just wanted to get a comparason).

Helmet: CTS Helmet, its DOT certified but other than that I've never heard or seen a CTS helmet before, it seems to be pretty good quality other than the shield that keeps popping up when I look over my shoulder. (free came w/ bike)

Gloves: Teknic Chicane (old style) $21 after tax.

Boots: Walmart steel toed work boots (Brutus II to be specific), its their 2nd to cheapest steel toe boot. (free, bought for when i worked construction)

Pants: No pants as of yet, I want to get some that are textile w/ CE (or better if there is) knee pads, maybe something that has shin/hip protection as well. Not looking to spend a whole lot (under 150 including shipping). I'm open to recommendations.

I know leather is alot better, but i'll have a heat stroke in texas heat, and thats why I'm using mesh.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'd toss that helmet in a heartbeat. You might have to spend an unexpected couple hundred for a new one, but that far outweighs how much it could cost you if something happens. What if it causes you to wreck and you are out of work for 3 months, or paralyzed, or dead? Yeah, none of that will probably happen, but there is a chance, and you can all but eliminate it by spending a couple bills.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Josh D said:
I'd toss that helmet in a heartbeat. You might have to spend an unexpected couple hundred for a new one, but that far outweighs how much it could cost you if something happens. What if it causes you to wreck and you are out of work for 3 months, or paralyzed, or dead? Yeah, none of that will probably happen, but there is a chance, and you can all but eliminate it by spending a couple bills.
I know what you are saying but even my Shoie does this. What brand do you replace a Shoie with? Thats top of the line. But the AFX barley ever does it but it still happens.

·
Registered
598 Posts
dennisred69 said:
I know what you are saying but even my Shoie does this. What brand do you replace a Shoie with? Thats top of the line. But the AFX barley ever does it but it still happens.
You replace a Shoei with an Arai :neener

When I rode from Tucson to Phoenix, much of the ride was at 90+ mph speeds (that was just to keep up with traffic). During the entire trip, the visor on my Arai never onced popped open. I would NEVER ride with a helmet that suffered from that issue such as that as it poses a serious safety risk. Replace that POS helmet ASAP. I'm not saying you have to spend $500+ on an Arai, but you should do some research on helmets and try on a bunch of different lids so you can find one that fits your head perfect (and hopefully doesn't pop open at highway speeds)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree, Shoei is top of the line and has without a doubt saved my life. I have an X-11 now, and previously wore an RF900 that I crashed in. Neither helmet visor has ever flipped up on me going down the road, and I've never used the visor lock on the 11. The AGV helmet I had would also flip up the shield, but only if it was partially open to begin with.

·
Registered
501 Posts
it's due to weak ratcheting mechanisms on the side of the helmet. KBC VR1 helmets used to have that problem. the solution is to contact the company and they should send out new improved ratcheting mechanisms for you to instal, at least that is what KBC did and it fixed the problem. other people just tape the sheild shut with clear packaging tape

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Josh D said:

+1 It's time for a new helmet!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the ratcheting mechanism apart today and that was the problem. It was more sliding than ratcheting. I put it back together and it works alot better and doesnt fly up unless i'm going 85+. How it works is there are teeth that grip a peg. For the lid to change position (from up to down or anywhere in between) the peg has to slide over one or more teeth. The teeth were slightly worn down and as a result the peg slides over them easier. I attempted to remedy the problem by adding a bead of super glue on the top of each teeth but i didn't alow it enough time to dry. Going to let it sit over night and that will hopefully help for a while.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
stope said:
I took the ratcheting mechanism apart today and that was the problem. It was more sliding than ratcheting. I put it back together and it works alot better and doesnt fly up unless i'm going 85+. How it works is there are teeth that grip a peg. For the lid to change position (from up to down or anywhere in between) the peg has to slide over one or more teeth. The teeth were slightly worn down and as a result the peg slides over them easier. I attempted to remedy the problem by adding a bead of super glue on the top of each teeth but i didn't alow it enough time to dry. Going to let it sit over night and that will hopefully help for a while.
If you can find them for your helmet, those parts with teeth likely can be replaced. Some vendors have had problems with the ratchet mechanism and have made revisions to the design.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, I would just contact the manufacturer and try to get a replacement set. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new helmet, yet you won't have to bother with this problem anymore, most likely. Just for the record, my Shoei RF1000 doesn't have any problems like that. The worst I get when doing a headcheck before a lane change is the wind blast that results from changing from having my aerodynamic front of my head facing forward to having the side of my head busting wind ;)

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I have the opposite problem with my Schuberth flip-front - I ride with the visor open a lot, and once I hit a certain speed, the wind snaps it shut! That's OK though; by the time I reach that speed (happens around 65-70mph), I'm wanting it shut anyway.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I fixed mine. I contacted AFX and they gave me some things to try. And they told me if it did not work to let them know and they would send free replacment parts. But it was just a simple screw that needed tightened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts