Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, on my f4i, there are 2 screw bolts that stick out about an inch and a half on both sides at the front of the passenger seat. How exactly would you hold a helmet with that thing? I see em sometimes hanging from them somehow but with no bungee cord or anything, and you can ride and they dont move any...

Whats the best way if i want to set it on the passenger seat instead of the side?
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
Usually you remove the rear seat, place the D-ring of the helmet strap over the post, hang the helmet over the side of the bike, and replace the rear seat. This will secure them (minus someone who would cut the strap) while parked. You shouldn't ride with a helmet hanging from the post. If you need to carry a helmet (spare presumedly since you should be wearing yours) while riding, a "spider net" over the helmet on the rear seat works well. Just make sure it won't go any where.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,759 Posts
I wondered the same thing to tell ya the truth, now I know ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
01cbrf4i said:
Ok, on my f4i, there are 2 screw bolts that stick out about an inch and a half on both sides at the front of the passenger seat. How exactly would you hold a helmet with that thing? I see em sometimes hanging from them somehow but with no bungee cord or anything, and you can ride and they dont move any...

Whats the best way if i want to set it on the passenger seat instead of the side?

The posts you're referring to have NOTHING to do with carrying a helmet. The F4i has bungee posts there. The part you attach your helmet to shouldn't be visible with the seat in place. I circled the bungee posts in the attached picture in yellow. Again, DO NOT try to hang your helmet from those.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
On my bike (not sure if you have the same option) I mounted a small right angle bracket/hook to the inside under the seat to hang my helmet from if necessary.




Works like a charm so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that all motorcycles made in the last 10 years had helmet hooks located somewhere on the bike. Some are located under the tail, while others need the seats removed to access the hook. Look around your bike or check the owner's manual... I'm sure you'll find one.
 

·
Cheap Bastid
Joined
·
6,366 Posts
why is it a bad idea to ride w/ a helmet on the side of your bike? not that i do it, but i saw a squid co-worker doin it. i wanna make him feel like a stupid shit for doing that cuz he's the reason i got a 75 dollar parking ticket yesterday and he knows it (he parked his bike diagonally so i couldn't fit in the spot we usually park in.... fuckin douche bag, i told him not to do that last week :lame )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
OreoGaborio said:
why is it a bad idea to ride w/ a helmet on the side of your bike? not that i do it, but i saw a squid co-worker doin it. i wanna make him feel like a stupid shit for doing that cuz he's the reason i got a 75 dollar parking ticket yesterday and he knows it (he parked his bike diagonally so i couldn't fit in the spot we usually park in.... fuckin douche bag, i told him not to do that last week :lame )
Well for one thing, the helmet should be worn, it's not an ornament for the bike. Also, if the helmet is hanging off the side of the bike, there's a chance that the straps will get caught in the chain. Plus, while riding around, the helmet will be knocking against the bike or wheel and could cause damage to both.
 

·
Valiant Poultry
Joined
·
15,151 Posts
There's a guy I know who rode with a helmet (I believe) on the side of his bike. When he turned, the helmet moved just right and somehow managed to get caught in his wheel. He was (I believe) going in excess of 90 mph. Having your rear wheel lock up unexpectedly at 90 mph is not a good thing...
 

·
Cheap Bastid
Joined
·
6,366 Posts
aight, that's pretty much what i figured.

btw, it was an extra helmet he had strapped to the side, not his own. he's not stupid, though sometimes his actions make ya think otherwise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
NEVER EVER EVER ride with a helmet in a helmet lock. I've seen it done and there's not much that brands you an idiot in my book quicker than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
I've heard of the helmets falling when carried that way. I see how it could happen, but don't know how likely it is.
 

·
Common sense isn't common
Joined
·
986 Posts
sjlee said:
Well for one thing, the helmet should be worn, it's not an ornament for the bike. Also, if the helmet is hanging off the side of the bike, there's a chance that the straps will get caught in the chain. Plus, while riding around, the helmet will be knocking against the bike or wheel and could cause damage to both.
You can always thread that side through the D-ring (just enough to keep it from falling out), then hang it on the hooks.

also why did everyone assume that hes gonna hang HIS helmet as an ornament on his bike while riding. How about a 2nd helmet...what if you dont happen to have a net.. how you gonna carry a helmet? in your lap, hangin on your mirror? Why cant most people think REALISTICALLY and for themselves when posting. I dont think it needed to be repeated 6 times that he shouldnt be riding his motorcyle with his helmet on the hook and not on his head. I would think he knows this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Ordie said:
also why did everyone assume that hes gonna hang HIS helmet as an ornament on his bike while riding. How about a 2nd helmet...what if you dont happen to have a net.. how you gonna carry a helmet? in your lap, hangin on your mirror? Why cant most people think REALISTICALLY and for themselves when posting. I dont think it needed to be repeated 6 times that he shouldnt be riding his motorcyle with his helmet on the hook and not on his head. I would think he knows this
I wasn't assuming that it was the rider's helmet on the hook. NO helmet should be there. If you want to carry a second helmet, use a bungee net or a tankbag. If you don't have either, YOU CAN'T CARRY A HELMET. A net is $5. Hanging a helmet on your lock while riding is STUPID.
 

·
Common sense isn't common
Joined
·
986 Posts
freeride said:
If you don't have either, YOU CAN'T CARRY A HELMET. A net is $5. Hanging a helmet on your lock while riding is STUPID.


Is there a Law against it? Never seen that one..


Why is it stupid? I thought thats what its there for to begin with... is that not correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Ordie said:
Is there a Law against it? Never seen that one..


Why is it stupid? I thought thats what its there for to begin with... is that not correct?
There isn't a law against it, but there's no law against riding with shorts and a tank-top either. It doesn't make it any less stupid.

How long have you been around motorcycles? Have you ever even GLANCED at an owner's manual? It says clearly in there that it should not be hung there while the bike is in motion. It's a helmet lock, for when you leave your bike PARKED somewhere and would rather leave your helmet on your bike.

Even if it weren't in the manual, how logical is it to have a helmet hanging inches from a spinning chain and wheel? Even if it doesn't catch in something and get you seriously hurt, you've tossed a helmet down the road at 60mph. Banging off the tail of your bike every time you change directions quickly? Anyone with a normal mental capacity should be able to figure this out. I find it hilarious that on the last page you were talking about people "thinking realistically" and then you can't figure this out. How ironic. Do you hang your grocery bags off the bars, too?
 

·
Valiant Poultry
Joined
·
15,151 Posts
Ordie said:
Is there a Law against it? Never seen that one..
No, there probably aren't any laws against it.


Ordie said:
Why is it stupid? I thought thats what its there for to begin with... is that not correct?
I believe that you thought incorrectly. It's there to store a helmet while your bike is parked. It's there for you to lock your personal helmet into so that you don't have to lug your helmet around inside the mall, at the stadium, or at school. It's there to use while you're not using your bike.

It's not there to use while you're riding.
 

·
Common sense isn't common
Joined
·
986 Posts
yea I hang plastic grocery bags off my bars all the time :rolleyes

Your the instructor correct...instead of saying
Again, DO NOT try to hang your helmet from those.

NEVER EVER EVER ride with a helmet in a helmet lock. I've seen it done and there's not much that brands you an idiot in my book quicker than that.
how about you back up WHY you say this....being the instructor you should know better than to just call someone an idiot and not explain why...


I dont have a second helmet...but if the only way to carry it from point A to B then yes I would use the hooks.. would I ride like a moron doing it...no. I've learned from the Navy, ORM.... Operational Risk Managment..

Identify Hazards
Access The Situation
Make Risk Decisions
Impliment Controls
Supervise

I would find the risk involved... Strap tangled up in chain/wheel

The control... Tie up the strap so it WOULDNT get caught in the chain/wheel

There are more ways that YOUR own.... you just have to think them out...and figure out if the risk outweighs the cost.
 

·
Valiant Poultry
Joined
·
15,151 Posts
Ordie said:
yea I hang plastic grocery bags off my bars all the time :rolleyes

Your the instructor correct...instead of saying

how about you back up WHY you say this....being the instructor you should know better than to just call someone an idiot and not explain why...


I dont have a second helmet...but if the only way to carry it from point A to B then yes I would use the hooks.. would I ride like a moron doing it...no. I've learned from the Navy, ORM.... Operational Risk Managment..

Identify Hazards
Access The Situation
Make Risk Decisions
Impliment Controls
Supervise

I would find the risk involved... Strap tangled up in chain/wheel

The control... Tie up the strap so it WOULDNT get caught in the chain/wheel

There are more ways that YOUR own.... you just have to think them out...and figure out if the risk outweighs the cost.

Man, I'm not trying to be mean, but using that hook for something it's not intended for is just asking for trouble.

Don't be a cheap ass...just go buy a net and hook the helmet to the back seat like everyone else does.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top