Sport Bikes banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
might compress a bit and feel better- I know when I chopped my hair it was a little spacier than normal- but it wasn't so much so I had to buy a new helmet a size up.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I decided to buy the HH and give it a try. Ordered the pink and purple pattern. It came about a week ago; they sewed it together with the pattern inside out! GRRRR! <sigh> Ah well. Such is life.

So I tried it out the other day and I had one severe issue: the added bulk of the HH and my hair inside my helmet made the helmet incredibly tight, to the point where I had a killer headache in short order.

Acalliste, since you are used to fitting your hair into your helmet with a french comb, I will assume you had no such problem. I've never put my hair inside my helmet before, so I have one basic question (and since I don't know any riders here I have no one else to ask (I hope this doesn't come across as a Jetfalcon-level stupid kind of question)). Since you put your hair inside your helmet, did you go a size b***** on the helmet than a same sized head short hair person would? To accommodate the hair?

My helmet is quite tight enough with my hair out of it. When I started riding I never envisioned having my hair inside the helmet. Maybe I'm a ditz, but I'm trying to decide if I need a b***** helmet or if I should try to get used to it and hopefully it'd eventually stop with the headaches.

I wear a small Arai, with my hair inside it. My hair is fairly fine, although there is a lot of it. When I get a new helmet, I double check the size and put my hair up like I normally would when trying it on. However, I've been doing this for 25 years, and my hair used to be much longer than it is now.

It's probably just that you aren't used to having your hair in the helmet. I'm surprised that it takes up enough extra space to give you a headache with the Helmet Hed. The material is so thin, it can't take up any room at all. How thick and long is your hair?

·
Registered
273 Posts
My hair sits at the bottom of my shoulder blades, and is decently thick. I also bought a helmet that fits very very snugly (with hair left out). Having never bought a motorcycle helmet before, I bought one that really does not have any room to move at all once put on.

In the HH video, when she puts her helmet on she moves it around a considerable bit while adjusting. My helmet cannot move like that at all. I suspect that it is a combination of not being used to hair in it and just using a helmet too small to begin with.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow... i think you should be able to make it move a little when holding on to it. Best test is to put it on and shake your head really hard. The helmet shouldn't move or shift at all. But you should be able to adjust it with your hands.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Image is not working, AC.

Also, a few days ago I finally got a chance to take a nice long (2.5 hour or so) ride with the HH. I had a headache at first but it faded pretty quickly. I think I'm getting used to it. Once the headache faded it actually worked very well. I liked it. :)

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hmmph. Fixed. It's not funny now. :indiff

Cool! I'm glad you got to try it. And yeah, I have heard other women who aren't used to having their hair inside the helmet that they got headaches at first. Not sure why. Hopefully it will feel better as you get used to it.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I rode to work this morning with this thing on and one thing I don't really like about it is it screws up my hair. Kind of flattens it out on top. I had to get it wet and put it up in a ponytail on top of my head like I Dream Of Jeannie to get some body back in it after I got to work.

I think I'm going to try putting in the French comb and then put the helmet hed on and carefully remove the French comb to try to have my hair in a better position. Or maybe I'll just leave the comb in. It might not slip over time with the helmet hed supporting it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I call that flattening effect "hat head", and it happens with just my helmet as well. I have a bunch of short wispy hairs around my bang area that end up going every which way too. HH caused the same for me, which is to say it was no different than normal.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's a benefit of a french comb then, I guess. My hair hasn't looked like this before. Or not that I can remember. Maybe before I learned to put it up in a twist, but I can't remember back that far. :lol

21 - 34 of 34 Posts